Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HelpfulTechWizard

Could I drill these holes out to make them slightly larger?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to check if I could dripping through the screw holes to make them larger, to fiT a larger bolt. Could i?image.thumb.jpg.0a1329dd0f5e2745283bedcf2f35c431.jpg

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD

which holes?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Just now, GDRRiley said:

which holes?

the two pictured

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

the two pictured

there are at least 8 holes there

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

i think i wouldnt be doing the right thing if i didnt ask why you arent using the correct size screws

I did this with an old laptop motherboard and even tho it looked like there weren't any traces or anything that could be damaged, I managed to kill it.
The board looked perfectly fine, but didn't function afterwards anymore.

Some Wallpapers I created • The Basics of Solid State Drives and Modules (A reference guide by me)

In case of USB confusion, refer to this sh*t.

• 05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)
  • 10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • 20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
  • 40Gb/s - Thunderbolt 3
  • 40Gb/s certified - Thunderbolt 4
  • 40Gb/s - USB 4

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i think i wouldnt be doing the right thing if i didnt ask why you arent using the correct size screws

im mounting a old laptop, and the bolts i have are about .1 mm to wide.

Just now, Senzelian said:

I did this with an old laptop motherboard and even tho it looked like there weren't any traces or anything that could be damaged, I managed to kill it.
The board looked perfectly fine, but didn't function afterwards anymore.

hmmmm.....

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

im mounting a old laptop, and the bolts i have are about .1 mm to wide.

and theres no store in or near your city that has bolts and theres no way for you to order the correct size ones online yes?

It's risky. This is a 4+ layer PCB, so even though the top and bottom layers appear to have space around the screw for grounding the screw (and whatever it is attached to), the inner layers of the PCB might have traces running nearby.

You could try, but not worth the risk imo. Why do you want to in the first place?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

If you really can't use the right size screws, you could give it a shot. 

There could in theory be traces near the holes - mobo's are multi-layer, meaning there are traces that aren't visible from the surface - but it's unlikely there are traces within .1mm from the holes. It's not common practice to have PCB traces that close to edges/holes etc. so there's a good chance you'll be fine. Just make sure to be very careful. 

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Why do you want to in the first place?

I am mounting my old laptop. I got 4mm bolts, and the holes are 4mm wide, so the bold doesn't fit.

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz

I am mounting my old laptop. I got 4mm bolts, and the holes are 4mm wide, so the bold doesn't fit.

So maybe get the proper size screws instead of drilling through your PCB?

You can try, but there is a chance you'll kill your laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

You'll probably bust it. Find out what screw type goes in there with a maintenance manual if it's possible. You could then use that info to find the right standoffs you'd need to mount the board safely.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

So maybe get the proper size screws instead of drilling through your PCB?

My guess is that the threaded hole that it goes into also has the wrong size. At least that would be the only reason not to get other screws.

Just now, akio123008 said:

Could you be a bit more clear about that?

im using some bolts to mount my old laptop board to a wodden plate i made.

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz

im using some bolts to mount my old laptop board to a wodden plate i made.

Then you should just get other bolts and nuts. Adapting the size of the holes in the wood and the bolts/nuts is much less risky than drilling the PCB.

Just now, Raz Ghost said:

Why not just use 3mm screws?

i already got the bolts, and its not logistical to get new ones (not having a drivers licence can be annoying)

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz

Dude, use some thumb tacks for the time being.  I too don't have a drivers license and wouldn't use that as an excuse to not get the proper hardware before risking it all on less than a dollars worth of screws.

But hey, it's your life, live it to the fullest. Prove us wrong :D

Your screws/standoffs are probably 3.96mm (5/32" or 0.156") or 3.81 (0.15") ... both imperial standards, not metric.

There should be a mm or two around that screw hole, for safety, but the board is made of multiple layers glued together and you drilling into that hole to widen it could cause cracks/separation between layers.I wouldn't do it.

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i already got the bolts, and its not logistical to get new ones (not having a drivers licence can be annoying)

Surely you can just order them online? Don't how it is like where you live but here in the uk we had a 3 month lock down where all brick and mortar stores were closed but people got what they wanted just fine through online sales