Could I drill these holes out to make them slightly larger?

Helpful Tech Witch

I want to check if I could dripping through the screw holes to make them larger, to fiT a larger bolt. Could i?image.thumb.jpg.0a1329dd0f5e2745283bedcf2f35c431.jpg

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

which holes?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

which holes?

the two pictured

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

the two pictured

there are at least 8 holes there

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

i think i wouldnt be doing the right thing if i didnt ask why you arent using the correct size screws

I did this with an old laptop motherboard and even tho it looked like there weren't any traces or anything that could be damaged, I managed to kill it.
The board looked perfectly fine, but didn't function afterwards anymore.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i think i wouldnt be doing the right thing if i didnt ask why you arent using the correct size screws

im mounting a old laptop, and the bolts i have are about .1 mm to wide.

Just now, Senzelian said:

I did this with an old laptop motherboard and even tho it looked like there weren't any traces or anything that could be damaged, I managed to kill it.
The board looked perfectly fine, but didn't function afterwards anymore.

hmmmm.....

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

im mounting a old laptop, and the bolts i have are about .1 mm to wide.

and theres no store in or near your city that has bolts and theres no way for you to order the correct size ones online yes?

It's risky. This is a 4+ layer PCB, so even though the top and bottom layers appear to have space around the screw for grounding the screw (and whatever it is attached to), the inner layers of the PCB might have traces running nearby.

You could try, but not worth the risk imo. Why do you want to in the first place?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you really can't use the right size screws, you could give it a shot. 

There could in theory be traces near the holes - mobo's are multi-layer, meaning there are traces that aren't visible from the surface - but it's unlikely there are traces within .1mm from the holes. It's not common practice to have PCB traces that close to edges/holes etc. so there's a good chance you'll be fine. Just make sure to be very careful. 

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Why do you want to in the first place?

I am mounting my old laptop. I got 4mm bolts, and the holes are 4mm wide, so the bold doesn't fit.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I am mounting my old laptop. 

Could you be a bit more clear about that?

I am mounting my old laptop. I got 4mm bolts, and the holes are 4mm wide, so the bold doesn't fit.

So maybe get the proper size screws instead of drilling through your PCB?

You can try, but there is a chance you'll kill your laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

You'll probably bust it. Find out what screw type goes in there with a maintenance manual if it's possible. You could then use that info to find the right standoffs you'd need to mount the board safely.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

So maybe get the proper size screws instead of drilling through your PCB?

My guess is that the threaded hole that it goes into also has the wrong size. At least that would be the only reason not to get other screws.

Just now, akio123008 said:

Could you be a bit more clear about that?

im using some bolts to mount my old laptop board to a wodden plate i made.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

im using some bolts to mount my old laptop board to a wodden plate i made.

Then you should just get other bolts and nuts. Adapting the size of the holes in the wood and the bolts/nuts is much less risky than drilling the PCB.

Just now, Raz Ghost said:

Why not just use 3mm screws?

i already got the bolts, and its not logistical to get new ones (not having a drivers licence can be annoying)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Dude, use some thumb tacks for the time being.  I too don't have a drivers license and wouldn't use that as an excuse to not get the proper hardware before risking it all on less than a dollars worth of screws.

But hey, it's your life, live it to the fullest. Prove us wrong :D

Sand out the holes to fit.  You should never use a drill on a pcb unless you have the right tools and knowledge. 

Your screws/standoffs are probably 3.96mm (5/32" or 0.156") or 3.81 (0.15") ... both imperial standards, not metric.

There should be a mm or two around that screw hole, for safety, but the board is made of multiple layers glued together and you drilling into that hole to widen it could cause cracks/separation between layers.I wouldn't do it.

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i already got the bolts, and its not logistical to get new ones (not having a drivers licence can be annoying)

Surely you can just order them online? Don't how it is like where you live but here in the uk we had a 3 month lock down where all brick and mortar stores were closed but people got what they wanted just fine through online sales

1 minute ago, Raz Ghost said:

Surely you can just order them online? Don't how it is like where you live but here in the uk we had a 3 month lock down where all brick and mortar stores were closed but people got what they wanted just fine through online sales

no dl and under 18* 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler