New GPU

closetchimp

Hi, 

So I currently have a i5 6600k and I'm overall happy with my system and don't really want to replace the whole pc.. But I'm still using a gtx 1070 fe. 

I'm wondering what would be the best card I could go for to replace this with without having to replace the cpu.  I will do that at some point.. But probably not for another year or 2.

Im currently using an asus PG279QE, so it's being used for 1440p at 165hz.

Would I be able to use the new 3080 or is that too much and if so could I get away with the 3070? 

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i'd go with the 3070 for 1440p. the 3080 is more of an 4k card.

there are differences between 2080ti and 3080 at 1440p, so it's still worth it if OP can afford it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

there are differences between 2080ti and 3080 at 1440p, so it's still worth it if OP can afford it

yes, but not when paired with a i5-6600k

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yes, but not when paired with a i5-6600k

hmm... i would say depends on game and settings, but yea majority wont see much of a difference, but

19 minutes ago, closetchimp said:

I will do that at some point.. But probably not for another year or 2.

so it's up to op

but honestly quad core have been giving me issues in some games, thats why i upgraded (i5 6600 non-k)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

See im thinking a 3070 at my resolution would be better.. Just wanted advice if I'd be foolish pairing it with an i5 6600k. 

just to clear things for OP, i5 6600k + 3080 will work better than i5 6600k + 3070. maybe not $300 better, that's all. but once you upgrade the cpu in a year or two, you'll be able to unlock the potential of the 3080 if you go with it now.

Right so if I am going to go ahead then 3080 would be fine for now and it'll future proof it for the cpu upgrade later on... Is that a good summary? 

2 minutes ago, closetchimp said:

Right so if I am going to go ahead then 3080 would be fine for now and it'll future proof it for the cpu upgrade later on... Is that a good summary? 

That's pretty close.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms