Help with my airflow design pls

SlimShady99
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
9 minutes ago, SlimShady99 said:

Wait, wouldn't then the 3 fans of the GPU and the 3 at bottom as intakes, be "fighting" for the air? And therefore no intake, only 3 exhaust at the side for the CPU?

The bottom intakes would be feeding the graphics card air, and would most likely improve thermals on the GPU by quite a bit.

I just checked out Hardware Canucks' video regarding airflow inside the O11 Dynamic (here), and it looks like the most balanced configuration with 9 fans was intakes in the bottom and side, with the AIO radiator in the top as exhaust. Granted their testing was done with a graphics card with a blower style cooler, but still that sounds like a good setup for the fans.

Until you get the additional three 120mm fans you mentioned though, I still think that 3x 120mm intakes in the bottom and AIO in the top or side as exhaust would be the way to go. If all you're focused on is CPU thermals though, then I'd try the AIO on the side as intake (the fans pulling air from the exterior through/into the radiator).

As you can see in the photos, I have a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic, 4 LL120 Corsair fans, and a 240mm AIO also from Corsair.

My goal is to get the lowest temps posible on my Ryzen 9 3900X and for that I would like to get some help from someone who knows more than me about airflow xD (as I clearly am not expert, I have the 6 fans as intake... I know...) I can put there up to 9 fans, and currently I have 6, so tell me what you think its the best airflow design for the AIO and the other 4 fans. For example, 3 intake on the back and 3 exhaust on the top IDK.

PD: Maybe soon I'll be getting 3 Be quiet pure wings 2 fans to populate the space under the GPU.

PD2: As you can see, my 4 LL120 are not lighting up, IDK why, they are connected, they spin, on iCue software its setted up correctly.. if you could help me with that also..

IMG_20200922_115534.jpg

IMG-20200919-WA0014.jpg

The fans on your radiator are pulling air from the top?

Mount the three fans that you've got on the side as intakes on the bottom, with the radiator on the side or top as exhaust.

LL120s are not ideal for radiator use, but that shouldn't be much of a problem really.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Mount the three fans that you've got on the side as intakes on the bottom, with the radiator on the side or top as exhaust.

LL120s are not ideal for radiator use, but that shouldn't be much of a problem really.

Yes, they are all 6 as intake currently, included the AIO ofc.

So you are telling me to use 3 at the bottom as intake and the other 3, included 2 of the AIO and another one, at the back as exhaust? It looks good thanks :)

16 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Wait, wouldn't then the 3 fans of the GPU and the 3 at bottom as intakes, be "fighting" for the air? And therefore no intake, only 3 exhaust at the side for the CPU?

9 minutes ago, SlimShady99 said:

The bottom intakes would be feeding the graphics card air, and would most likely improve thermals on the GPU by quite a bit.

I just checked out Hardware Canucks' video regarding airflow inside the O11 Dynamic (here), and it looks like the most balanced configuration with 9 fans was intakes in the bottom and side, with the AIO radiator in the top as exhaust. Granted their testing was done with a graphics card with a blower style cooler, but still that sounds like a good setup for the fans.

Until you get the additional three 120mm fans you mentioned though, I still think that 3x 120mm intakes in the bottom and AIO in the top or side as exhaust would be the way to go. If all you're focused on is CPU thermals though, then I'd try the AIO on the side as intake (the fans pulling air from the exterior through/into the radiator).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

I will try that, thank you

I'd probably lean towards less being more. Tech Jesus did a good video on that case too: 

15 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

I agree. If you want the absolute lowest cpu temps, you need the rad to be intake. If you load the GPU, the steady state temp will be higher with rad as exhaust.

Bottom intake will definitely help the GPU. If it were my system, I'd try side intake through the AIO and bottom intake for the GPU. You probably won't need anymore fans.