20 GB VRAM 3080's?

farmfowls
39 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

And it's using the same amount of VRAM as it would at 4k native with the settings I'm using.

Not use, allocated.  Totally different things.  And also the one thing that makes people think they don't have enough VRAM, whether factual or not.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How many gamers even notice enough difference between High. Very High, and Ultra graphic settings anyway?

Ummmm.....

I would think a lot of them. Hence why there are multiple settings to choose from. But definitely me. If this was ever a question, I can guarantee you that I can notice the difference graphically speaking between High and Ultra. Especially so if we're talking presets. Of course these differences can be somewhat small in some games (key here is some), but for the most part there's a pretty big difference. I don't know, maybe I'm just too picky and notice it.  

If a 20GB VRAM 3080 is offered, I’d wager it’s taking the place of a 3080Ti or Super.  Makes sense since Nvidia left big gaps in the lineup.  If the rumors are correct that the 3090 is only about 10% faster than the 3080, then the only thing to do is add more VRAM to a card and call it something else, since performance is so close between them.

in any case, if a 3080S 20GB is offered for $799 or something next year when I buy? I’d gladly pay the extra $100 for double the memory.  Nothing retires a GPU faster than running out of VRAM.

6 hours ago, Deli said:

However I remember two years after GTX780 was released. Quite a few games started to run into VRAM problem in 1080p, when GTX980Ti has 6GB VRAM.

And this is what I'm worried about. Sure it's fine now, but in 2-3 years we don't know what's going to happen. That does work on both sides though. There could be some games that could all of a sudden require more than 10 GB (And as luck has it, I will probably want to play those) or they run fine with 10 GB. But in my case, I don't plan on upgrading again for a little bit as I probably won't be able to. And the last thing I want is to start to see VRAM issues when I'm not in a position to upgrade. It will drive me insane. I do run 1440p though. But if I remember correctly, I was seeing VRAM issues with my 780 Ti 2 years later (although I forget what res I was running), and this is not something I want to have to worry about.      

10 minutes ago, farmfowls said:

Ummmm.....

I would think a lot of them. Hence why there are multiple settings to choose from. But definitely me. If this was ever a question, I can guarantee you that I can notice the difference graphically speaking between High and Ultra. Especially so if we're talking presets. Of course these differences can be somewhat small in some games (key here is some), but for the most part there's a pretty big difference. I don't know, maybe I'm just too picky and notice it.  

Well maybe it is my eyesight, but usually all I notice is that Ultra type settings only slow down the game with visual benefits.

Just now, Odan_Brota said:

If a 20GB VRAM 3080 is offered, I’d wager it’s taking the place of a 3080Ti or Super.  Makes sense since Nvidia left big gaps in the lineup.  If the rumors are correct that the 3090 is only about 10% faster than the 3080, then the only thing to do is add more VRAM to a card and call it something else, since performance is so close between them.

in any case, if a 3080S 20GB is offered for $799 or something next year when I buy? I’d gladly pay the extra $100 for double the memory.  Nothing retires a GPU faster than running out of VRAM.

Yeah I would agree IF the rumors are correct. I mean why would they release a Ti/Super variant of the 3080 when they don't have all that much room to work with? The VRAM would be the thing to increase. I guess the question is, do they hold it back until next year or compete with Big Navi? Or release it all? I guess this all depends on Big Navi.  

I have to ask, but how much System Memory and Processor speed do these games now require? As far as I can tell, every game I looked at on Steam the Recommend RAM is still 16GB and 3,000Mhz Quad Core  CPUs. Often the games will play not bad depending on Settings with half the RAM.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well maybe it is my eyesight, but usually all I notice is that Ultra type settings only slow down the game with visual benefits.

Ah you're one of the lucky ones. I mean that with respect. I'm really sensitive to even minimal graphical settings changes and add in a little bit of OCD, you have someone who does not enjoy turning down settings. 

Just now, farmfowls said:

Yeah I would agree IF the rumors are correct. I mean why would they release a Ti/Super variant of the 3080 when they don't have all that much room to work with? The VRAM would be the thing to increase. I guess the question is, do they hold it back until next year or compete with Big Navi? Or release it all? I guess this all depends on Big Navi.  

Watching GN’s tear down of the 3080, we can see spots where more VRAM would go, so I think they’re already more or less set up to do it PCB wise.  And Gigabyte (I think) leaked the 3070Ti with 12GB of VRAM, so I think it lends more credence to my theory.  I think they’ll launch these cards a week or so after Big Navi shows up, just to have a VRAM advantage and push people like myself (those who want the most VRAM possible) towards Nvidia products.

There are a handful of games that do use over 10 GB on 4K. Most of the people who cry about this are just OCD and have this craving to have a super duper card cause it's new and fancy. Nevertheless NVIDIA is most likely going to release higher VRAM cards after AMD as they have been rumoured to have more than 10 GB. They're probably just waiting for AMD to announce their cards so they can steal the show and suddenly have Super or Ti cards coming same time.

11 minutes ago, Odan_Brota said:

Watching GN’s tear down of the 3080, we can see spots where more VRAM would go, so I think they’re already more or less set up to do it PCB wise.  And Gigabyte (I think) leaked the 3070Ti with 12GB of VRAM, so I think it lends more credence to my theory.  I think they’ll launch these cards a week or so after Big Navi shows up, just to have a VRAM advantage and push people like myself (those who want the most VRAM possible) towards Nvidia products.

I thought that both the 3070/Ti with 12 GB and a 3080 with 20 GB was mistakenly shown by Gigabyte? Not the actual card but a specs sheet or something. It looked credible enough to almost confirm that it exists, but I don't know anything. I think it'll have to be branded as a Ti/Super (probably a Super) because I really doubt that they'll come out and offer regular 3080 branding just with 20 GB VRAM so close to the initial launch of the 10 GB version. They would need some smoke to fill the room if they have to do something like that.

12 hours ago, Samfisher said:

That being said, with a 3080 being a 4k monster, it feels a bit weird limiting it to less than the top end amount of VRAM from the last gen.  Like Steve from Hardware Unboxed mentions in their latest video, people who spend $700-800 on a GPU are unlikely to be the kind of people who would want to turn down settings for anything, so having to turn down Texture quality for games in the future is not really what the market for these GPUs want to do.  Yes, you can turn XYZ settings down, but if you're spending this kinda of money, should you?

Actually the 3080 is a step up for VRAM since the last generation.

Since the 3080 should technically be compared to the 2080 which had 8GB VRAM it's higher

I do expect a 3080TI to come with 12GB's or more, which depending on the price might be more futureproofing for those 4K players out there.

I feel like 10GB's will be enough for 1440p, I definitly don't feel like the 3080 will handle 4K a couple of years from now, at least not much above 60FPS.

Flight sim can eat through vram tho, cant it?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, farmfowls said:

I'm running a 1080 ti and it's fine and everything but I've found myself turning down settings (I really dislike this) and/or suffering FPS losses. RDR2 is what really made it hurt, although it is RDR2. 

Ya unfortunately that's a little bit of a confounder though.  You are having to turn down settings because its RDR2 (its a GPU horsepower issue), not due to VRAM.  

In fact, RDR2 is literally the best game to exemplify why the VRAM concern is silly.  Go to your options and look through graphics settings.  Turn it to 4k, and slide everything to ultra with Triple frame buffering (taxes VRAM even more).  

It gives you a read-out of the VRAM usage for your current settings, and even tells you:

Total VRAM : 7600

RDR2 :  6200

Other apps: 1400

Plenty of headroom with your 11 gb.  Its the core count / speed that is limiting you.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

49 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Flight sim can eat through vram tho, cant it?

Yeah flight sim is one of the few games that can actually use 10GB of VRAM, but FS2020 looks great even if you can't crank up all the settings

I think 10GB will be enough, but then again the 1080Ti had 11GB in 2017, the 3080 would've made more sense to have 12GB minimum.

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah flight sim is one of the few games that can actually use 10GB of VRAM, but FS2020 looks great even if you can't crank up all the settings

I think 10GB will be enough, but then again the 1080Ti had 11GB in 2017, the 3080 would've made more sense to have 12GB minimum.

If you look at the PCB, it clearly has blank spots available for 2 additional 1GB GDDR6X chips which if populated would have provided a 12GB card, but would also be 384-bit bus, so maybe they are segmenting it away from 3090 by doing it this way.

Who knows.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

56 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Ya unfortunately that's a little bit of a confounder though.  You are having to turn down settings because its RDR2 (its a GPU horsepower issue), not due to VRAM.  

In fact, RDR2 is literally the best game to exemplify why the VRAM concern is silly.  Go to your options and look through graphics settings.  Turn it to 4k, and slide everything to ultra with Triple frame buffering (taxes VRAM even more).  

It gives you a read-out of the VRAM usage for your current settings, and even tells you:

Total VRAM : 7600

RDR2 :  6200

Other apps: 1400

Plenty of headroom with your 11 gb.  Its the core count / speed that is limiting you.

Just to clear one thing up really quick, I'm not attributing my performance issues now to VRAM limitations. Not saying that VRAM is the issue and is limiting my FPS. Not saying that at all. I want to upgrade anyway to improve my FPS which will happen when moving from the 1080 ti to the 3080. But the VRAM issue is more for down the line where if games start to require more than 10 GB VRAM, I don't want to be in a place where I am stuck with 10 and unable to upgrade. 

42 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah so already 10 GB is a problem. And I do plan on playing FS2020, so the 10 GB limitation is not very helpful. 

27 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

If you look at the PCB, it clearly has blank spots available for 2 additional 1GB GDDR6X chips which if populated would have provided a 12GB card, but would also be 384-bit bus, so maybe they are segmenting it away from 3090 by doing it this way.

Who knows.

So the max available on the card would be 12 GB? 20 would not be possible? 

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

If you worried about 10GB of video ram, buy a 3090 lol.

I'm Canadian so $1499 US is actually $2000 here. So the 3090 is above what I can justify. Something in between the 3080 and the 3090 could be more doable but, as it stands 3090 is out for me.  

6 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

A 3080 with 20GB of video ram is kind of pointless because that card would likely run out of GPU core resources before video ram.

How would one verify if this would indeed be a problem? 

What resolution are you playing games at or what resolution do you plan on upgrading too?

I have a PG279Q (Also 165 Hz) which is 1440p. I plan to stay at 1440p for the foreseeable future. If anything, I would go ultrawide, but again I don't plan on doing that for the next few years anyway. Even if I do get another monitor in the future, it'll most likely be 1440p. 

You can't verify that now, I'm not a evangelist or gypsy But considering the 3090 is very likely to run into a similar problem, I don't see a reason why a 3080 with 20GB would fare any better.

Why is the 3090 likely to run into this problem? Not being antagonistic, just legitimately curious.

I would not worry about 10GB of video ram being a problem at 1440p. Also, I'm looking at picking up a 3080 (as soon as they come back in stock) too. If I run out of video ram within two or so years, I'll just buy the next 'new' GPU or turn down the settings and still enjoy the games.

Well see, this is my problem. I'm going to be heading off to Vet School and I most likely will not be able to afford an upgrade for a bit. Money will be tight. So for me, I probably will not have the option to simply go out and get a new card if 10 GB VRAM proves to be limiting in 2 years. It's about getting a good card now that has enough VRAM and hopefully doesn't run into these issues later and if I'm stuck with a card, will last me as long as possible. Hence my concern over VRAM.  

Considering the leaked benchmarks for the 3090 shows a range of performance improvements from a 3080 is 8-20% (based on leaked benchmarks). It's evident that the 3090 is not going to benefit from 24GB of video ram in games, but the 24GB of v-ram will benefit in developer/creation software. 

Is that assuming games would not require 24? Or is this for some other reason?