Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
B.Toast

Convince me to abandon my NH-D15

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

know that the Kraken x62 is pretty similar performance per noise level when compared to the NH-D15.

But is the price justifiable? To debunk the most common arguments against the NH-D15, in order to remove them from this conversation:

 

RAM clearance: low-profile RAM does exist. And it's not expensive.
PCIe slot clearance: I have not had any issue with my tip PCIe slot, but my 970 doesn't have a backplate and I'm not really a gamer, I don't foresee myself replacing it anytime soon. 

Side notes:
Peripheral performance: The NH-D15 helps aid in case airflow, and can help with motherboard cooling.
Reliability: GN has been over this. An air cooler, at the end of the day, is going to be more reliable than a liquid cooler.

Curb appeal: There is something innately aesthetic (to me) about a large air cooler and the bit of imagination it invokes regarding "what must be sitting under it." 

 

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating moving to a proper rackmount case. Please note that this is a very cautious curiosity and I probably won't make the switch, to either a rackmount chassis or to a liquid cooler.


If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Have any questions regarding audio, audio production, or borscht?
I guess you can inbox me but I can't make any promises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should we convince you not to get a NH-D15?   That seems to be the air cooler that you want and I see no reason in your post to advise otherwise.  You aren't asking for an equivalent to save money, or better looks or anything of that nature.

 

BTW, there is an all black version from Noctua as well if you want the non beige version:  https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

case compatibility

ease of taking out the GPU when you can use your hand to unlock the pcie slot instead of poking it with a screwdriver and risk stabbing a hole in your board if you slip

 

but don't you work with audio? so idk if water bubbling and pump noise is something you want to add to your system

I've ran heatsinks without a fan on ~40W CPU before.


Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

 

 

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

 

Spoiler

 

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

 

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

 

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

 

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

 

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

 

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Why should we convince you not to get a NH-D15?   That seems to be the air cooler that you want and I see no reason in your post to advise otherwise.  You aren't asking for an equivalent to save money, or better looks or anything of that nature.

 

BTW, there is an all black version from Noctua as well if you want the non beige version:  https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

 

 

Case compatibility was the big one. Right now I've got a Pure Base 500 from Be Quiet turned sideways in my rack sitting on a sliding shelf. Those two things end up snatching a disappointing 7U from my case. 
 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

case compatibility

ease of taking out the GPU when you can use your hand to unlock the pcie slot instead of poking it with a screwdriver and risk stabbing a hole in your board if you slip

 

but don't you work with audio? so idk if water bubbling and pump noise is something you want to add to your system

I've ran heatsinks without a fan on ~40W CPU before.

 

Eh, I've gotten accustomed to using a chop stick to uncouple my graphics card whenever necessary. But yes, the noise of the pump and water are concerning to me.


If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Have any questions regarding audio, audio production, or borscht?
I guess you can inbox me but I can't make any promises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

 

Case compatibility was the big one. Right now I've got a Pure Base 500 from Be Quiet turned sideways in my rack sitting on a sliding shelf. Those two things end up snatching a disappointing 7U from my case.

 

PC Part picker can help you determine case compatibility and Noctua also has the specifications on determining your own case compatibility.   Are you looking for recommendations for CPU coolers to go into a rack mount case?   If so, what size? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Eh, I've gotten accustomed to using a chop stick to uncouple my graphics card whenever necessary. But yes, the noise of the pump and water are concerning to me.

another point against the D15 is if you move your system around a lot, it puts more stress on that cpu socket and board

but it's not a big issue anyways, unless you drop it or something


Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

 

 

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

 

Spoiler

 

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

 

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

 

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

 

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

 

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

 

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

 

PC Part picker can help you determine case compatibility and Noctua also has the specifications on determining your own case compatibility.   Are you looking for recommendations for CPU coolers to go into a rack mount case?   If so, what size? 


If I were to go with a rack case I’m fairly certain I’d do the X62. The question would then be a matter of what rack case would suit my desire to add bitumen sheeting to the sides and behind the motherboard for acoustic dampening? 
 

19 hours ago, Moonzy said:

another point against the D15 is if you move your system around a lot, it puts more stress on that cpu socket and board

but it's not a big issue anyways, unless you drop it or something

 

Surprisingly this (being my biggest concern when I build my X99 system in 2015) has not been a problem at all. I’ve moved a lot too. Now my system lays on its side so even that mild concern is no longer a part of my decision process. 
 

5 hours ago, Nanook said:

NH-D15 and Kraken x62 pfffft.

 

 

 

I see this after I made my comments.


If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Have any questions regarding audio, audio production, or borscht?
I guess you can inbox me but I can't make any promises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to because it's a great cooler. Big-ass air coolers > water cooling any day. Less maintainence, no pump to die, and can theoretically function passively if the fan goes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine using an AIO

 

 

- This post is made by Noctua gang.


Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×