My friend is trying to ruin his christmas...

Stewball32

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

My friend has a ~7 year old Gaming PC that, other than a SSD upgrade, has been unchanged. He hasn't had the time or money to make any upgrades in the meantime. Apparently small children cost money? (/s for those who need it to understand sarcasm)

This year I convinced his wife, parents, and a friend to help me and each buy a different part to get him a base for a new build (CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU) for the holidays this year, but now he's telling me that he's finally saving up to get a new build started. He's been asking me for advice about what he should look to buy on black friday/cyber monday. Knowing what's going to happen, but not trying to spoil anything, I've been trying to convince him that he should get a decent GPU for his current build that he can use when he gets the other parts.

He's pretty tech savy for the average person(can identify all the pc internals and what they do), but he's not up to date on current hardware, nvidia(or intel) vs amd, pricing, etc. He trusts my opinion when it comes to hardware, but since I've been telling him he needs a new CPU/MOBO for the last few years(I know, right..), he's not entirely sold on the sudden change to get a GPU instead.

What semi-bullshit reasons can I use to make my friend believe he just needs a good GPU and nothing else (for the time being) so he doesn't ruin his own christmas?

You could try telling him there’s a newer generation of parts coming out early next year, not sure how believable that would be for him depending on how much he would actually look into it.

6 minutes ago, Stewball32 said:

What semi-bullshit reasons can I use to make my friend believe he just needs a good GPU and nothing else (for the time being) so he doesn't ruin his own christmas?

Tell him that the latest Ampere graphics cards allow for performance optimizations through NVIDIA Reflex that allow it to more thoroughly use the power of older and newer CPU's minimizing a bottleneck so his old CPU would work fine.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

AMD CPUs will be revealed next month but availability of suitable motherboards will likely take a while. also wait for AMD to resolve any early issues with their platform that may occur.

those aren't even BS reasons, they're pretty legit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

"new parts are coming out soon" is a good argument, since there's always new stuffs

If new stuffs just launched, "wait for people to use it for a while first, see if there's any issues"

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You could tell him that because of the weirdness of the new recently revealed changes to storage systems a new cpu might not even be needed and buying anything before consoles get taken apart and reviewed is foolhardy.  This is only very narrowly true.  The chances that doing so will reveal that old mobo/cpu combos will work fine for another 5 years approaches zero. It’s not quite zero though.  The thing about no one knowing what is going to be happening with games is on point though.  The standard move has so far been to get more hardware than the consoles are capable of fielding and working it that way so kind of the opposite. It’s kind of a Qanon style rationalization, but like their stuff starts from a place of truth. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Tell him that HISTORICALLY its post Christmas, prior to end of Q4 for revenue recognition where prices REALLY tank (increased sales)and to wait until the day after Christmas to look for parts.  That Black Friday prices are historically a joke (not lol) in comparison.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Personally I would rather buy PC parts myself, I would accept their choice and do something different.

You shouldn’t manipulate someone because you are low on present ideas.

Alternatively you can just be honest, surprises are overrated and it’s the thought that counts.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Personally I would rather buy PC parts myself, I would accept their choice and do something different.

You shouldn’t manipulate someone because you are low on present ideas.

^ this, i recently just ranted about how receiving something i dont need is actually not a great experience (yes im ungrateful prick)

OP should just bring him to PC shopping, tell him the budget and let him pick the parts

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 hours ago, Stewball32 said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

My friend has a ~7 year old Gaming PC that, other than a SSD upgrade, has been unchanged. He hasn't had the time or money to make any upgrades in the meantime. Apparently small children cost money? (/s for those who need it to understand sarcasm)

This year I convinced his wife, parents, and a friend to help me and each buy a different part to get him a base for a new build (CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU) for the holidays this year, but now he's telling me that he's finally saving up to get a new build started. He's been asking me for advice about what he should look to buy on black friday/cyber monday. Knowing what's going to happen, but not trying to spoil anything, I've been trying to convince him that he should get a decent GPU for his current build that he can use when he gets the other parts.

He's pretty tech savy for the average person(can identify all the pc internals and what they do), but he's not up to date on current hardware, nvidia(or intel) vs amd, pricing, etc. He trusts my opinion when it comes to hardware, but since I've been telling him he needs a new CPU/MOBO for the last few years(I know, right..), he's not entirely sold on the sudden change to get a GPU instead.

I mean don't stop him building a new PC. I never get why people don't have a bit of side change for parts. Why does his wife need to be ''convinced''? I mean whenever I need to convince my gf is to get her involved in what I am doing and vice versa and we rarely are successful in this regard. I.E. Last year we ended up going on different vacation places because we weren't able to convince each other to get to the chosen destination. Dumping our child with family.