Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lii

Any decent certifications for electronics and programming?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello

 

I'm not sure if this is the right section or not..

 

So.. I didn't go to university

Mainly because I thought it was a waste of time (I didn't like at all their plans) and also because it was pricey

 

So I was looking for some type of certifications (they might be even useless, but I do have my reasons to get one), any suggestions?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what you're wanting to do. There's general certs that say you know how to use a computer, then there's certs that say you know how to configure an entire network. Generally tho, it's better to go for vendor independent certs (Comptia for example) as they're more applicable for all jobs. Though if a company that you would like to work at uses all windows stuff, or all cisco stuff, or all AWS stuff, it'd be better to get those


FOLDING MONTH IS AMONG US

Either (@piratemonkey) or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about electronics but for programming there are certainly certs, but it's probably best to build up a portfolio of projects instead if you don't want to get a degree.

Programming certs are pretty much universally seen as useless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Nevermind, but thanks to all

 

I think that I was able to subscribe to some shitty university course (their plans are shit, but they seems to be less expensive than a couple of certifications)

 

I still don't like the idea to have spent money for "education" while this one can be easily acquired for free.. but I got a social pressure to subscribe to an university.. since I still don't have enough money to go into another house by myself..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lii said:

Nevermind, but thanks to all

 

I think that I was able to subscribe to some shitty university course (their plans are shit, but they seems to be less expensive than a couple of certifications)

 

I still don't like the idea to have spent money for "education" while this one can be easily acquired for free.. but I got a social pressure to subscribe to an university.. since I still don't have enough money to go into another house by myself..

If you don't want to get a degree then don't do it. If you aren't motivated then chances are you won't be able to finish the degree anyway.

Work on building a portfolio of projects on GitHub instead and work on getting the knowledge through free tutorials and the likes. From what I have gathered (although I have no personal experience), most programming recruitments are made by doing things like tests during the interview process. For example a senior developer ask you how you would implement certain things, maybe write some code during the interview to show off your skills. Being able to link to a GitHub where the employer can look through your previous work is a good thing too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you don't want to get a degree then don't do it. If you aren't motivated then chances are you won't be able to finish the degree anyway.

The problem is that my family is into the idea that I should subscribe to university, 

And since I still don't have a fixed income, I'm at the mercy of their decisions

 

Though dunno if I could take my money back after paying for it

But the courses seems to be pretty much reduced to the bone and fattened with useless bullshits

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Work on building a portfolio of projects on GitHub instead and work on getting the knowledge through free tutorials and the likes. From what I have gathered (although I have no personal experience), most programming recruitments are made by doing things like tests during the interview process. For example a senior developer ask you how you would implement certain things, maybe write some code during the interview to show off your skills. Being able to link to a GitHub where the employer can look through your previous work is a good thing too.

I agree with you 

But unfortunately I don't have that much of freedom 😕

 

Though many workers searchers do look for university/college degrees or other certificate, I do guess that is for filtering out the possible candidates

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×