Case Recommendations for RTX 3090

gh0st_op

Hello everyone, I currently am running a NZXT S340 Elite case and just realized that a 3090 card is probably not going to fit with a front mounted radiator (corsair h100i v2).

I have been eye balling the Asus ROG Strix Helios. I also like the look of the Caselabs sma8, but sadly they went out of business. I like the look of the Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass, but man is that thing HUGE.

Those cases are kind of the look I am going for. Any suggestions? Also I broke down and bought an corsair AX1200i to replace my corsair AX760.

Honestly probably a case with a top mounted 240mm rad would probably suite my needs (dang s340 only has a 140mm top rad mount).

Thanks!!

Why won't it fit? From the s340 specs, and the 3090 FE. I'd measure the space between your current card and the rad to make sure. Numbers say it should with spare room.

GPU Clearance With Radiator: 334mm

Length 12.3" (313 mm)

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Why won't it fit? From the s340 specs, and the 3090 FE. I'd measure the space between your current card and the rad to make sure. Numbers say it should with spare room.

GPU Clearance With Radiator: 334mm

Length 12.3" (313 mm)

I know, I'm just worried its going to be SUPER TIGHT. Plus I kind of want some more room so that my front rad isn't dumping heat straight onto my graphics card. Currently I have an ROG Strix 1080ti

Edit: I whipped out my inch caliper... looks like between my Asus ROG STRIX 1080TI and my Corsair H100i v2 is approx. 1.425" = 36mm

Current GPU = 298mm

3090 FE = 313mm

==================

Roughly 21mm clearance....

4 minutes ago, gh0st_op said:

I know, I'm just worried its going to be SUPER TIGHT. Plus I kind of want some more room so that my front rad isn't dumping heat straight onto my graphics card. Currently I have an ROG Strix 1080ti

I don't know how large or small you're looking for. I've had really good luck with my case, except for the massive size of it(almost 70 liters). If the rest of the Phanteks line up is like the Evolv X they're for sure worth looking into. I've got an i9 in mine with a 240 AIO and don't run into throttling issues. They've got cases of a few different sizes.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

I don't know how large or small you're looking for. I've had really good luck with my case, except for the massive size of it(almost 70 liters). If the rest of the Phanteks line up is like the Evolv X they're for sure worth looking into. I've got an i9 in mine with a 240 AIO and don't run into throttling issues. They've got cases of a few different sizes.

Honestly I think going to a top mounted 240mm radiator setup would help, however the case I have now does not support it. I would prefer a mid-tower or a little bigger.

2 minutes ago, gh0st_op said:

Honestly I think going to a top mounted 240mm radiator setup would help, however the case I have now does not support it. I would prefer a mid-tower or a little bigger.

I haven't messed with much for mid towers. I've been with extremely large cases(Evolv X, P5 etc). If I were in your shoes though, unless you see a case you have to have, I'd hold out, get the 3090 and try it in that case. Keep looking at cases in the mean time. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit or runs hot and you've already got ideas for a new case. You'd be surprised what people are stuffing into small cases and getting good thermals on. 21mm might very well be plenty.  I did my build with i9 and 2070. Hearing thermals on both I figured I'd need a large case. Granted mine is just obnoxiously big, but I'm in the process of transplanting them into a smaller case. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I haven't messed with much for mid towers. I've been with extremely large cases(Evolv X, P5 etc). If I were in your shoes though, unless you see a case you have to have, I'd hold out, get the 3090 and try it in that case. Keep looking at cases in the mean time. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit or runs hot and you've already got ideas for a new case. You'd be surprised what people are stuffing into small cases and getting good thermals on. 21mm might very well be plenty.  I did my build with i9 and 2070. Hearing thermals on both I figured I'd need a large case. Granted mine is just obnoxiously big, but I'm in the process of transplanting them into a smaller case. 

Yeah true, I'm eventually wanting to upgrade my 8700k once Intel has PCI 4.0 support.

1 hour ago, gh0st_op said:

Hello everyone, I currently am running a NZXT S340 Elite case and just realized that a 3090 card is probably not going to fit with a front mounted radiator (corsair h100i v2).

I have been eye balling the Asus ROG Strix Helios. I also like the look of the Caselabs sma8, but sadly they went out of business. I like the look of the Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass, but man is that thing HUGE.

Those cases are kind of the look I am going for. Any suggestions? Also I broke down and bought an corsair AX1200i to replace my corsair AX760.

Honestly probably a case with a top mounted 240mm rad would probably suite my needs (dang s340 only has a 140mm top rad mount).

Thanks!!

phanteks p600s will be able to hold a 3090 easily and room for rads