Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paco98

RTX 3080 with i5 9400f?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I am in the midst of doing a big upgrade to my setup and placed an order for the RTX 3080. However I am wondering if it will be okay to use with my current CPU which is a i5 9400f. Will this bottleneck or should I be okay? I will be gaming 1080p 144hz! Thanks

5 minutes ago, Paco98 said:

Hi, I am in the midst of doing a big upgrade to my setup and placed an order for the RTX 3080. However I am wondering if it will be okay to use with my current CPU which is a i5 9400f. Will this bottleneck or should I be okay? I will be gaming 1080p 144hz! Thanks

1080P at 144Hz should be no problem I think. It's not going to be the best, but it's not going to be a disaster. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Yes you'll be totally fine. The 9400F is a solid CPU so you shouldn't have any bottleneck. Even a recent Ryzen 3 performs decently on a 3080.

Damn marketing is so powerful....

People buying rtx 3080 for 1080p....

This is like buying a Tesla to park it somewhere near the park so you always have a seat available when going to that park.

4 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

This is like buying a Tesla to park it somewhere near the park so you always have a seat available when going to that park.

3 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

An i5 running 1080p with an rtx 3080....

I have seen it all ! You will face huge bottlenecks....

You've obviously never tried running a game with 200% renderscale. It will bring any GPU to its knees, including the 3080. It also makes the image look a LOT nicer than any other anti-aliasing method.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

5 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

Well it matters to me because I want max frames for competitive gaming.

Currently on a 1070 so this is a big upgrade for me.

Just now, Paco98 said:

Well it matters to me because I want max frames for competitive gaming.

Currently on a 1070 so this is a big upgrade for me.

You need a better CPU for 144 hz 1080p no ? I have a 1070 and 1080p was a joke for that card, moved to 1440p 1 year ago tho.... I am moving to 3080 for 1440p 144 hz and feel like it might be a bit too much for that resolution lol

9 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

An i5 running 1080p with an rtx 3080....

I have seen it all ! You will face huge bottlenecks....

It's ok.

Just 9400f is supposed for budget build, and 3080 is for high end. I know there isn't rule that you can't pair a $130 CPU to a $700+ GPU. However this kind of budget CPU pairs with 3080 or even 3090 keeps popping up. Talk about the power of the hype of new Nvidia cards.

18 minutes ago, Paco98 said:

Will this bottleneck or should I be okay?

pretty sure that cpu is gonna bottleneck that gpu in AAA games even on ultra settings on 1080p

but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, only means the game will run as fast as the cpu allows it to run

1 minute ago, Paco98 said:

I want max frames for competitive gaming.

what games? are you CPU or GPU bound now? because most competitive games i know are cpu bound most of the time

if you're CPU bound, getting a 3080 wont do you any favour

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

27 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Yes you'll be totally fine. The 9400F is a solid CPU so you shouldn't have any bottleneck. Even a recent Ryzen 3 performs decently on a 3080.

Thank you for the reply and link, happy to hear that :)

get a 3070 instead and upgrade that 9400f I have 8600k and its struggling if I don't overclock it

get at least a 9700k if you have a z370/z390 motherboard or a 9900 if not

or sell the cpu motherboard combo and get a zen3

17 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

You need a better CPU for 144 hz 1080p no ? I have a 1070 and 1080p was a joke for that card, moved to 1440p 1 year ago tho.... I am moving to 3080 for 1440p 144 hz and feel like it might be a bit too much for that resolution lol

Yes it definitely is going to be a joke for the RTX 3080 but that is why I am asking if it will be alright on my CPU. I don't have the funds to upgrade everything at once so am going to get this now, then a new monitor, then a new cpu etc etc...  

18 minutes ago, Deli said:

It's ok.

Just 9400f is supposed for budget build, and 3080 is for high end. I know there isn't rule that you can't pair a $130 CPU to a $700+ GPU. However this kind of budget CPU pairs with 3080 or even 3090 keeps popping up. Talk about the power of the hype of new Nvidia cards.

I get that people see this and think its so stupid to pump all the $$ into the graphics card, I will be upgrading my CPU in the future of course, I just wanted to know if it will be alright or not. At least this graphics card will last me for years to come so I won't need to worry about it, doing it one step at a time. Thanks for the reply

3 minutes ago, YsGrandi said:

get a 3070 instead and upgrade that 9400f I have 8600k and its struggling if I don't overclock it

get at least a 9700k if you have a z370/z390 motherboard or a 9900 if not

or sell the cpu motherboard combo and get a zen3

Noted, but based on other replies I think I will get going with the 3080 and upgrade the cpu in the near future! :)

20 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

pretty sure that cpu is gonna bottleneck that gpu in AAA games even on ultra settings on 1080p

but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, only means the game will run as fast as the cpu allows it to run

what games? are you CPU or GPU bound now? because most competitive games i know are cpu bound most of the time

if you're CPU bound, getting a 3080 wont do you any favour

Primarily FPS shooters, currently warzone. I currently get 90-100 fps with the i5 9400f and gtx 1070, so I should be expecting a significant increase with the 3080. And then plan to upgrade the CPU in the near future 

8 minutes ago, Paco98 said:

Thank you for the reply and link, happy to hear that :)

Do note that this for 4K gaming. I missed the part where you mentioned 1080p gaming at high frame rates. In 4K, the CPU matters less because the GPU is the bottleneck. In your case you might encountered some bottlenecks but you should still be fine and nothing stops you from upgrading your CPU along the way if this happens.

1 minute ago, Paco98 said:

so I should be expecting a significant increase with the 3080

why do you say so? are you GPU limited?

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

23 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

why do you say so? are you GPU limited?

Just played a quick game of warzone, yes, yes I am

Linus.png

5 hours ago, Paco98 said:

Just played a quick game of warzone, yes, yes I am

Your CPU is fairly maxed out too

i remember warzone being CPU heavy

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler