Where's the InOvAtIoN?!

YellowJersey

So I'm bored at work and a thought crossed my mind.

Why the obsession with innovation? Don't get me wrong, I get the need for innovation as it pushes technology forward.

But, I don't get the obsession with innovation. That everything has to be innovative. My point is, sometimes there's nothing wrong with something that doesn't do anything new yet still does everything right. It seems to me that there are so many people demanding innovation and the next big thing before we've mastered what we've already got.

Innovation is good, but when it's done for the sake of improving something that has room to improve. But I'm kind of down on innovation for its own sake; when what we have works perfectly fine but a company decides it needs to fix what isn't broken (we saw this with the craze for motion controls around the time of the Wii and Kinect). Canon's pushing 8k video in the R5 mirrorless camera even though the record times are so short that it hardly seems useful and when Canon has hardly mastered 4k.

I suppose it's a difficult balance between:

-don't fix what isn't broken
-perfect what you've already got before decide to up the ante

-improve products in a way that's useful

Back to work now.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

11 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

-snip-

Well finding new and clever ideas to solve the short comings of past technologies is still considered innovation. But other than that, the reason why people want more innovation is probably excitement. If you only have incremental improvements every time, it's not going to be that interesting for the general public. It's only the academics and enthusiasts that might find the specifics of how it was achieved interesting. The use of cleverer and more efficient algorithms for instance. But for every one else, 10% faster performance on the stuff I can already do on my current devices, great.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Innovation is what makes technology so interesting.  Most people don't use change and innovation interchangeably. Innovation (in most contexts) means change for the better.

I don't know about the Kinect, but in games that used the Wii motion controls correctly were outstanding.  The Wii remote was a fantastic pointing device.  It's okay if you didn't like them, but they brought gaming to new audiences because of their ease of use.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

-don't fix what isn't broken

This was Intel, and we got the same old rehashed CPUs. A big example is i5 7400 vs i3 9100f. They are bassicaly the same chip. Same process, same preformance, same everything.

perfect what you've already got before decide to up the ante

I really hope this is RDNA 2. But this never happens. Remember RTX? It was not ready, but it became a thing anyways. Now, with RTX 30xx coming out, its a ready technology that can be used.

improve products in a way that's useful

see inovation.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler