Easiest Way to use both Headphone and Speakers

andylandy91

Hi all,

I'm looking for the easiest way to use and be able to switch between headphones and speakers on my computer. I have a gaming headset plugged into the "Mic In" and "Line Out" ports on the back of my motherboard and the sound is good. Screenshot of the auido ports of my motherboard below. Wondering how to also connect a speaker set into this but be able to control independently without physically switching cables around. Can I use the jack labeled "Rear" or is that for something else?

My use case is using headphones for competitive play but speakers for music while working. Is a DAC necessary for this such as the Schitt Fulla 3?

image.png.0971d17c05a25cf74123bcbf87122ee7.png

Thanks,

My method of switching headphone to my speakers is just using this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNYF22N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just have m
Someone can call me out if I'm wrong, but rear and line out are both usable as audio jacks, I think rear uses the on-board sound with better sound quality and line out is less filtered.

EDIT: I'm wrong
Apparently it's an onboard soundcard for 5.1 surround 

3 minutes ago, HowardYing said:

My method of switching headphone to my speakers is just using this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNYF22N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Someone can call me out if I'm wrong, but rear and line out are both usable as audio jacks, I think rear uses the on-board sound with better sound quality and line out is less filtered.

Thanks for the response and this makes sense for switching between multiple audio outputs.  I didn't specify this but I'm also passing in a mic to the back of the mobo and this solution does not allow mic pass through I wouldn't think.. That's why I was thinking about the fulla 3 which had mic input and headphone out, with also extra outputs on the rear of the device. 

Right now my mic and headphones use 1 cable and would like to keep it that way to reduce clutter (i.e. not have one cable for mic and one for sound). 

5 minutes ago, andylandy91 said:

Thanks for the response and this makes sense for switching between multiple audio outputs.  I didn't specify this but I'm also passing in a mic to the back of the mobo and this solution does not allow mic pass through I wouldn't think.. That's why I was thinking about the fulla 3 which had mic input and headphone out, with also extra outputs on the rear of the device. 

Right now my mic and headphones use 1 cable and would like to keep it that way to reduce clutter (i.e. not have one cable for mic and one for sound). 

I see I see. I edited my post a bit cause I did some research and found out I was wrong. but yeah, that could definitely be an issue with my method for you.That might work indeed, just that price tag... if you were willing to do it digitally, I also use Boom 3D audio which allows semi easy output change.

When I had my desktop I had speakers plugged into the line out on the back and my headphones on the front panel of my case. That way when I wanted to switch between headphones and speakers I just used the windows sound settings.
If you click your little sound button on the task bar on the bottom right then there is a arrow above the volume which lets you quickly switch between sound outputs.
image.png.964bdc9e0d11a0c1b18c8c7a94d3c49a.png

If you dont have multiple output ports on your computer. You have two options. Either a DAC/Sound card to increase the ports or you can get a physic switch like others above have recommended.