Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeachGr

watercooled chair

Posted · Original PosterOP

That one is short.
Well as i ve learnt from Linus video of Graphene thermal no-paste, he said that car manifacturers use graphene sheets to heat their chairs
I wonder why he didn't use it, would be simpler i think.
Note that i m not anywhere near the chair manifacturing, just a simple guy

Heat isn't the same as cool. 

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I haven’t watched the video yet and maybe I’m just a simple man with simple answers...

...But wouldn’t a decent mesh chair be both easier and much, much better at butt heat dispersal?

MacBook Pro 16

i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME - many dongles

11 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I haven’t watched the video yet and maybe I’m just a simple man with simple answers...

...But wouldn’t a decent mesh chair be both easier and much, much better at butt heat dispersal?

I haven’t watched the video either but I was thinking the same thing. Even if the mesh chair isn’t cool enough on its own, you can point a fan or even some kind of chiller/AC at the chair.

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

I haven’t watched the video either but I was thinking the same thing. Even if the mesh chair isn’t cool enough on its own, you can point a fan or even some kind of chiller/AC at the chair.

Yeah the "ergo" seats suppose to be like that. Anyway, it was an interesting project, but maybe there is a reason that there is no product like water cooled seat in the market :D

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

If you want suggest video, proper place to do so is in  video suggestion thread:

Just a general note about car seats and graphene pads. I would guess those are more cost-effective than just using normal wires. More flexible and probably sturdy, feel better, and still need same amount or electricity to heat-up.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, johnpaulample said:

what do you guys think of something like this? apologies for the self-plug 

This chair has many fans, personally I am blown away by it. You are on a roll!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, johnpaulample said:

what do you guys think of something like this? apologies for the self-plug 

it's fanny :D
Maybe your butt still gets sweaty, but with all that RGB you must have great FPS!

I like the idea, I have a glycol chiller for my homebrew setup. It would be interesting to build something like this but hooking up the chiller to it instead of the waterblock

i'm often really cold (i hate the cold) and i wonder if i could make a water heated chair using the heat of a pc to heat the chair. 

LTT could probably make a video about this (just swap out the radiators for tubing that goes to a pc generating heat) because i am really curious. 

She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM500GB SSD | macOS

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm often really cold (i hate the cold) and i wonder if i could make a water heated chair using the heat of a pc to heat the chair. 

LTT could probably make a video about this (just swap out the radiators for tubing that goes to a pc generating heat) because i am really curious. 

Just get a onesie problem solved. A heated chair only fixes the issue of heating your butt and back not all the other parts of your body that are exposed.

Just now, jaslion said:

Just get a onesie problem solved. A heated chair only fixes the issue of heating your butt and back not all the other parts of your body that are exposed.

it does help though... especially since i have joint issues in my back and shoulders and a heat source on them helps reduce pain well so i'm really interested in building something like this :) 

It's not much different from what they've already done. All they need to do is take the chair loop they already have, remove the PSU and pump and adapt the small tubes to the larger ones used in a system and alter the loop so instead of going to the radiator after going trough the CPU and GPU, it goes trough the chair, and then through the radiator. But that would make the chair tied to your system.

For best results, a overclocked bulldozer cpu and a gtx 690 should be used.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's not much different from what they've already done. All they need to do is take the chair loop they already have, remove the PSU and pump and adapt the small tubes to the larger ones used in a system and alter the loop so instead of going to the radiator after going trough the CPU and GPU, it goes trough the chair, and then through the radiator. But that would make the chair tied to your system.

that's what i'd like them to do to see how well it works. 

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

Wouldn't an electric heating pad be far easier and more practical?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Wouldn't an electric heating pad be far easier and more practical?

Well that would be another thing using power which isnt that great fir the planet... re using already generated heat is better in my opinion 

8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

Well that would be another thing using power which isnt that great fir the planet

Well that all depends on where your power is being derived from....

Though let's take your example of using a computer's heat to heat your chair, effectively using parts of the chair to be the radiators of a water cooled loop. I can tell you you will probably need an awfully hot computer to make any noticeable difference in the heat that is soaked up in the chair. So the power needed to generate such heat might negate the whole "isn't good for the planet" argument. 

EDIT: Assuming that your get your power from some form of combustion / burning of fossil fuels. If your power is derived from mainly a combination of Hydro electric, Solar or Wind power, your concerns about environment are reduced. However the consumption of the power you'll need to heat your chair might be wasteful.

if you want to copy their exact design, just flip the connection on the peltier

but there's electric heater for chairs

they're like mats, comfy for butts, but not sure if there are any for back support

edit: using heat of PC? hmm... sounds impractical to have tubing run from PC to something that's moving

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

18 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

For best results, a overclocked bulldozer cpu and a gtx 690 should be used.

I'd say its even simpler than that. They used a peltie module for cooling. All that they would have to do to convert it to a heating chair would be to reverse the current for those module (switch the wires) The water in the loop would heat up and the heatsink would instead cool and draw heat in from the air. 

13 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

Well that would be another thing using power which isnt that great fir the planet... re using already generated heat is better in my opinion 

Switching 2 or 3 light bulbs to LED (or just turning them off) will offset the occasional usage of a heating blanket. We're talking less than 100 W here...

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

You might as well just add some ducting to your PC outtake fans and redirect that air towards yourself.

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

It'd be bulky and take some DIY, but you could go to a junkyard and find a heated seat in decent shape. Mount a little motorcycle battery or 110 or 220 inverter to the base of the chair and wire it all in. 

CPU I9-9900k, Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (8x4), GPU ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200 RPM, PSU CORSAIR RM1000i, Cooling Asus ROG RYUO 240, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic and Headphones