Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jawarhalo

Whole house ethernet

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am pretty into tech but beyond a novice at all things networking. With the house im in now, we are finally getting off of Verizon routers to stop paying monthly for that and using a new one. However, this entails us not using the current access point that I have upstairs connected to my gaming rig. So in getting rid of this, I will need to find a new way to have (hopefully Gigabit) in my room and also if possible the same in my brothers. So I was wondering if it would be easier to do whole house and have long runs of ethernet come from the router downstairs to a switch in the attic and then distribute that to rooms in the house (which in doing research will require lots of drywall cutting, repainting, mounting, and pulling)  or if I can maintain speeds with the coax that is already running through the whole house and adapt that to ethernet in some way that yall may know of that will maintain good speeds.) thanks

23 minutes ago, Jawarhalo said:

So I am pretty into tech but beyond a novice at all things networking. With the house im in now, we are finally getting off of Verizon routers to stop paying monthly for that and using a new one. However, this entails us not using the current access point that I have upstairs connected to my gaming rig. So in getting rid of this, I will need to find a new way to have (hopefully Gigabit) in my room and also if possible the same in my brothers. So I was wondering if it would be easier to do whole house and have long runs of ethernet come from the router downstairs to a switch in the attic and then distribute that to rooms in the house (which in doing research will require lots of drywall cutting, repainting, mounting, and pulling)  or if I can maintain speeds with the coax that is already running through the whole house and adapt that to ethernet in some way that yall may know of that will maintain good speeds.) thanks

Is wifi out of the question? If you get a decent router (and assuming you don't live in a castle), you can probably service all rooms...it probably won't quite be gigabit speeds, but should be plenty fast. That would save you a lot of trouble cutting drywall, etc...

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

Is wifi out of the question? If you get a decent router (and assuming you don't live in a castle), you can probably service all rooms...it probably won't quite be gigabit speeds, but should be plenty fast. That would save you a lot of trouble cutting drywall, etc...

Its for mostly my and my borthers pcs so wifi isnt really an option.

11 minutes ago, Jawarhalo said:

Its mostly for my and my brothers gaming pc

I use a powerline adapter for my gaming PC upstairs (wifi sucks on the second floor) and only get between 50-75 mbps. Even so, it's plenty fast for gaming online.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I use a powerline adapter for my gaming PC upstairs (wifi sucks on the second floor) and only get between 50-75 mbps. Even so, it's plenty fast for gaming online.

Im really not averse to doing the work for this, im more wondering if it is just as goods to use the coax that is already there before I go through the effort of ethernet

I'm not a networking 'expert' and I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use the existing coax here. You'd need a modem/router in every room and even then there probably would be serious conflict issues between the modems/routers (I don't know if you can turn them into switches in this instance). However, I would route the ethernet cable along the existing coax cable through your walls.

If anybody knows of a way, I retract my statement. LOL

@Jawarhalo, @steelo

You can use existing coaxial wiring with an adapter to establish a network. It’s called MoCA. The adapters themselves are not inexpensive, so keep that in mind.

It’s up to you if you want to spend the time and energy investing in ethernet now. Keep in mind that you don’t absolutely have to run ethernet through walls; your runs can be along the edges of ceilings/floors or within existing wall conduits while still being neat.

1 hour ago, Jawarhalo said:

Im really not averse to doing the work for this, im more wondering if it is just as goods to use the coax that is already there before I go through the effort of ethernet

Do you by chance have unused telephone jacks throughout the house. If so, you can convert the jack to a RJ45. If it has 8 wires, you can get up to gigabit speeds. 4 wires, up to 100mbps. I've thought about doing this, but the existing jacks aren't exactly located in ideal locations.

46 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Jawarhalo, @steelo

You can use existing coaxial wiring with an adapter to establish a network. It’s called MoCA. The adapters themselves are not inexpensive, so keep that in mind.

It’s up to you if you want to spend the time and energy investing in ethernet now. Keep in mind that you don’t absolutely have to run ethernet through walls; your runs can be along the edges of ceilings/floors or within existing wall conduits while still being neat.

Ah, that's funny...I just googled how to do this and read about MoCA. I did notice though that often they advertise speeds up to 1200 mbps but you usually get about half of that. Still pretty cool stuff though.

5 minutes ago, steelo said:

but you usually get about half of that. Still pretty cool stuff though.

There are two kinds of adapters. Bonded and non bonded. Bonded adapters are rated for faster speeds. At least that a how Moca 2.0 adapters were when I researched them. Not sure about the 2.5 adapters.