V-Sync or no V-sync

So I just finished watching Linus's Shroud video and he brought up that it can be beneficial to have a higher framerate than the refresh rate of your monitor. I currently have a 144hz g-sync display and have always run games with v-sync enabled. Should I stop this and let my games like Rocket League run at the higher framerates for better response time or leave V-sync the way I have it now?

5 minutes ago, WJracer said:

So I just finished watching Linus's Shroud video and he brought up that it can be beneficial to have a higher framerate than the refresh rate of your monitor. I currently have a 144hz g-sync display and have always run games with v-sync enabled. Should I stop this and let my games like Rocket League run at the higher framerates for better response time or leave V-sync the way I have it now?

Leave it the way it is. Even vsync off Gsync will still block fps to 144.

Vsync can be on or off with gsync. If I remember correctly, without GSYNC, VSYNC create some input lag, but with GSYNC, there is less input lag with Vsync on

Also better visual

I think what the video meant is you are better having a 60 hertz monitor with 60 steady FPS then having a 144 hz monitor with 40 fps all the time. (of course they would have different hardware but the point is cap your fps before going for higher refresh rates.)

1 minute ago, Panoramix97 said:

I think what the video meant is you are better having a 60 hertz monitor with 60 steady FPS then having a 144 hz monitor with 40 fps all the time. (of course they would have different hardware but the point is cap your fps before going for higher refresh rates.)

I'm not entirely sure about that. The test that they ran with shroud was comparing a 60 fps on a 60 hz display, a 300fps on a 60hz display, and 240 fps at 240hz. That test in particular is what made me ask the question. I know when I disable v-sync that my frame counter jumps up to RL's limit of 250 fps. I simply wasn't sure how G-sync plays into all the data anyway

I always turn V-Sync off, to avoid weird behavior. I set the limit to 144fps ingame or via inspector.

14 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

Leave it the way it is. Even vsync off Gsync will still block fps to 144.

Gsync doesnt block anything.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, WJracer said:

This has always been the case with FPS games, especially if you're competitive. To reduce frame time and increase smoothing in competitive shooters, it's a worthwhile trade off to put up with the screen tearing.  This is why competitive FPS gamers have traditionally gone with TN panels over VA/IPS; because of the faster pixel response for that feeling of less input latency, and the often higher refresh rate leading to less tearing when running games @ 250fps+

It's becoming less common as higher refresh rate monitors become more common, 240Hz monitors larger than 24" have really only started becoming a thing this year. 

Rocket League wouldn't really benefit; its primarily beneficial for fast action shooters, or high speed racing. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I believe this still applies for most folks, however, may not be the most optimized for something like competitive shooters.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

TL:DR - V-sync ON in Nvidia control panel and OFF in-game; frame limiter to just below monitor refresh.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

I always turn V-Sync off, to avoid weird behavior. I set the limit to 144fps ingame or via inspector.

Gsync doesnt block anything.

gsync does sync frames ?

I have vsync off right now in nvidia control as well as in my video game and with gsync on, and frames are limited to 144 (my monitor is 144hz)

2 hours ago, WJracer said:

Should I stop this and let my games like Rocket League run at the higher framerates for better response time or leave V-sync the way I have it now?

What is your goal?

If you want smooth, "non-stuttery" animations: Adaptive sync > Vsync > everything else. Reason: the best result comes from equally-timed frames. more than from the number of frames. High FPS sounds great on paper, but by itself it doesn't guarantee anything in terms of smoothness. Fluctuating 61-90 FPS will be more "stuttery" than constant 60 FPS on a 60Hz display. Even constant 90 FPS will be inferior in a monitor with fixed 60Hz refresh rate. With adaptive sync monitors, even capping your frame rate below the native refresh rate can lead to better animation than letting it run free above the max refresh rate supported. Vsync with fixed refresh rate is second best, unless said refresh rate is the absolute minimum you get in your games, or you cap it to, say, half the FPS. 

In any case, even with adaptive Sync, the best result comes from as stable FPS as you can get within the range of supported refresh rates.

If you don't care about smoothness but something else, related to competitive performance, there's always been a trade-off between visual quality and in-game advantages, and some people claim response times vs. smoothness of animations is part of it. I'm not a competitive multiplayer gamer, so I'm mostly concerned with my games not looking like shit than anything else 😛 

2 hours ago, WJracer said:

V sync simply limits the number of displayed frames of a game to whatever the refresh rate of the monitor (or a pre selected number) is, this removes screen tearing. When running at higher refresh rates screen tearing becomes less of an issue anyway due to how many more frames can be displayed per second. G sync is an alternative to V-Sync that does the same thing but limits the actual number of FPS rendered by the graphics card. The difference between the two is that with v-sync the actual number of frames isn't capped, this means the frame displayed may not be the newest frame (This is where the noticeable input lag that v-sync has comes from). Where as g-sync only renders the same number of frames as the monitor is capable of displaying, meaning little to no input lag as you always get the "newest" frame available. 

So now you understand how it works, If you have a G-Sync monitor (which you do) there is never a reason to have v-sync enabled as it does absolutely nothing. 

41 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

gsync does sync frames ?

Gsync sync frames, yes. Thats the Job. But it doesnt lock the FPS to the Displays Hz.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

14 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

V sync simply limits the number of displayed frames of a game to whatever the refresh rate of the monitor (or a pre selected number) is, this removes screen tearing. When running at higher refresh rates screen tearing becomes less of an issue anyway due to how many more frames can be displayed per second. G sync is an alternative to V-Sync that does the same thing but limits the actual number of FPS rendered by the graphics card. The difference between the two is that with v-sync the actual number of frames isn't capped, this means the frame displayed may not be the newest frame (This is where the noticeable input lag that v-sync has comes from). Where as g-sync only renders the same number of frames as the monitor is capable of displaying, meaning little to no input lag as you always get the "newest" frame available. 

So now you understand how it works, If you have a G-Sync monitor (which you do) there is never a reason to have v-sync enabled as it does absolutely nothing. 

Gsync sync the Hz of the Display to the FPS comming from the GPU.