If AMD bankrupted and Ryzen never made it to the market, do you think Intel would still offer only 4 cores in mainstream?

chnapo

We can safely assume that the move from 2 to 4 cores for i3 and from 4 to 6 cores for i5 and i7 that happened with 8th gen was reaction to AMD's superior mainstream multicore performance. What do you think would have happened if AMD, instead of Ryzen, would have continued with the terrible FX lineup (so not being competitive) or bankrupted (or simply took 4-5 more years to come with Ryzen)? Do you think intel would continue to offer dual core i3 with HT, quad core i5 without HT, quad core i7 with HT? Do you think they would come up with something like mainstream i9 that would offer 6 cores with HT for mere 599 dollars? Let's use the fantasy and look into the alternate universe! I am curious about your opinions!

1 minute ago, chnapo said:

We can safely assume that the move from 2 to 4 cores for i3 and from 4 to 6 cores for i5 and i7 that happened with 8th gen was reaction to AMD's superior mainstream multicore performance. What do you think would have happened if AMD, instead of Ryzen, would have continued with the terrible FX lineup (so not being competitive) or bankrupted (or simply took 4-5 more years to come with Ryzen)? Do you think intel would continue to offer dual core i3 with HT, quad core i5 without HT, quad core i7 with HT? Do you think they would come up with something like mainstream i9 that would offer 6 cores with HT for mere 599 dollars? Let's use the fantasy and look into the alternate universe! I am curious about your opinions!

Eventually the pressure from ARM would have gotten a lot more intense, but I don't think they would have offered too much more performance. Maybe Hexa-Core i7s with HT, Hexa-Core i5s without by now.

Definitely not. While competition drives innovation, innovation will come along eventually (and arm would probably have had some effect eventually). 

However AMD has stimulated intel into increasing core counts quicker than they probably would have without AMD.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

Intel said that their plans for 6 core and 8 core coffee lake were set already, but I'm not sure I believe them.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Definitely. Why else you think the new NVIDIA cards are such garbage?

Unless forced these companies never release new tech and performance improvements.

Do you guys all acually understand that these are "real" companies and not a bunch of fat geeks? They will keep as much performance hidden away from us as long as they can because it secures them profit in the future.

Imagine Intel gave us their best chips which are 300% better. What will they do in the year after? Tell us that they couldn't come up with anything better and hope that we understand? How they gonna hit their yearly targets ?

Or they can increase performance by 25% every year and sit on their asses and still be market leader.

NVIDIA is doing this right now. Just wait for the AMD announcement in a month and you will see NVIDIA out of the blue announcing new cards if AMD turns out to be any good.

Just to mention, the 9100f and 7400 are almost the same CPU. Intel didnt try to make better CPUs when there was no compitition. 

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Definitely. Why else you think the new NVIDIA cards are such garbage?

30xx is hot garbage?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

without AMD intel would likely have 4 core 8 thead cpust. mayby 6c/6t at the best (for normal desktop, of course they have their -x series cpus with higher core count for workload etc)

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Just to mention, the 9100f and 7400 are almost the same CPU. Intel didnt try to make better CPUs when there was no compitition. 

30xx is hot garbage?

Nobody knows because nobody has them

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Nobody knows because nobody has them

Ummm.... People have them. Atleast 3080's. The 3090 looks to be hot garbage, but duh.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ummm.... (very few) People have them. Atleast 3080's. The 3090 looks to be hot garbage, but duh.

fixed

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Doubtful. 4 cores are garbage and haven’t been good for years. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz