2nd Build Advice

HockeyFan2815

I did my first basic build a little over 5 years ago and other than adding a hard drive since then have not made any upgrades. Well some of the components are starting to show their age and getting some freezing and restarts needed recently. I pushed my budget up a little bit as I recently got into my doctoral program and I wanted to reward myself a little/ had some graduation funds from my undergrad left over.

Budget (including currency): Max 2500, goal closer to 2000 if possible USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I play a mix of FPS, Sports games, and strategy, i.e. Rome, some other simulator type games, will also be my academic base, mainly basic office tasks/may get into some research/calculations/statistical analysis depending on the direction the next couple years take but am not anticipating any video editing type situations.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Historically I have leaned towards Intel for CPU but am not stuck on that and have been trying to figure out if AMD might fit my needs a little better. Leaning towards a Geforce RTX 2070 super for Graphics and like the look of the Obsidian 500D SE for a case. While watercooling is probably not necessary as have never messed with overclocking and don't really feel the need to do so right now I was thinking about the Corsair Hydro Soft tubing water system for looks and as a challenge to myself. Most details are fairly open for conversation as I fully acknowledge I know enough to be dangerous in these topics but not enough to be confident. Current machine is running a GTX 970 and an i5-4590, and 2x4GB RAM (Planning on going to 2x8). It worked for an intro build but I want to push myself a little and keep up with some of the newer games coming out. If I can save space in the budget to get a new set of dual monitors I would love to but my current two are still serviceable. If I can provide any other info that can help let me know?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, HockeyFan2815 said:

Leaning towards a Geforce RTX 2070 super for Graphics and

Not one of the new 3000 series? Stock may be bad now but with some patience you'll have some much better value available

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Get a 3080, wait for ryzen 4th gen/zen 3/Ryzen 4xxx/Ryzen 5xxx or whatever its called.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

why ryzen? while ryzen 5 3600 is decent for gaming you can upgrade to ryzen 5 4600/4700x/4900x in a month or two.

why 16 gigs of ram? for gaming 26 gigs is all you need. yoiu can add more later if you need.

1tb very fast m.2 ssd for windows and games

2tb hdd for larger files

rtx 3080 (better than 2080ti). tuf is the bets bang for the buck model. not in stock right now but will be soon.

very good airflow case. if more airflow is wanted buy a 3 pack of these fans (2on the top, 1x on the back): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcgQzy/uphere-t7syc7-120-mm-fans-3-pack-t7syc7-3. or without rgb: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pwm-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-acfan00137a (5pack but good fans)

650w is plenty wattage for rtx 3080 and ryzen.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

7 hours ago, SavageNeo said:
why ryzen? while ryzen 5 3600 is decent for gaming you can upgrade to ryzen 5 4600/4700x/4900x in a month or two.

Can you expand a little more on the AMD vs Intel, I have a feeling that for my level of interest in game performance vs the price that is why I should be looking at an AMD vs Intel but just trying to understand it a little more

9 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Not one of the new 3000 series? Stock may be bad now but with some patience you'll have some much better value available

Honestly wasn't aware of this, but since I have done more research I will be holding out for a 3000 series, thanks

14 hours ago, HockeyFan2815 said:

Can you expand a little more on the AMD vs Intel, I have a feeling that for my level of interest in game performance vs the price that is why I should be looking at an AMD vs Intel but just trying to understand it a little more

Intel still has a 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 small edge in gaming. Its really negligible, but if you are doing literally anything other than gaming on this pc, you probably want to get AMD. Plus their price/performance for AMD is better than Intel. I got my 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5 3600 for $160. i5 9600k's are going for $200 and they are 6 core 6 thread, and as I said previously, Its a very small edge for Intel in gaming and literally anything else will have AMD performing better than the Intel price equivalent. 

15 hours ago, HockeyFan2815 said:

amd is worse than intel in gaming currently. but in 1 or 2 months you will be able to buy new 4xxx ryzen processors. that ram, motherboard and cooler 100% supports the new ryzen processors. AMD is better at workloads, renderign etc.

For the gpu rtx 3080 is better than 2080ti for much less moneys

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)