3D animation workstation laptop recommendations (upgrading from an old-ish desktop)

Looking to upgrade my current desktop (i7 3770k, 16GB ram, and a 1050ti) with a laptop. I'd imagine at this stage, even the mobile 9th or 10th i7 would be a significant upgrage from my very old 3700k.

I am a 3D animator using 3D software such as Maya. I'd be doing a lot of CPU heavy realtime play back of my animation. And not so much on the rendering side so I'd be happy to compromise slightly on graphics card performance. Budget wise im looking up to £1600 ($2000 USD). I prefer low profile rather than the gamer-y look. I'd be mostly using it with a 1440p ultra-wide + a 4k screen

I had my eye on the Lenovo Legion 7i with an i7 10750H, but the performance of the ryzen 4800H processor has put me off intel.

What do you think? :)

I've been liking the look of MSI's latest creator series. They seem to have good power and accurate screens, but they are pretty expensive. Also they are pretty sleek, no RGB on the outside (although I think the keyboard has RGB, not sure)

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

2 minutes ago, Ninoid said:

Looking to upgrade my current desktop (i7 3770k, 16GB ram, and a 1050ti) with a laptop. I'd imagine at this stage, even the mobile 9th or 10th i7 would be a significant upgrage from my very old 3700k.

I am a 3D animator using 3D software such as Maya. I'd be doing a lot of CPU heavy realtime play back of my animation. And not so much on the rendering side so I'd be happy to compromise slightly on graphics card performance. Budget wise im looking up to £1600 ($2000 USD). I prefer low profile rather than the gamer-y look. I'd be mostly using it with a 1440p ultra-wide + a 4k screen

I had my eye on the Lenovo Legion 7i with an i7 10750H, but the performance of the ryzen 4800H processor has put me off intel.

Xmg core 15 amd version. Currently the best performing amd laptop out there minus the ones that use actual desktop cpu's.

11 minutes ago, Ninoid said:

You will constantly be doing Real-Time Playback, so you should really consider upgrading your Desktop instead of getting a Laptop, especially as you're planning to use it docked on your desk most of the time, for the following reason:

Any Laptop with a good enough cooling system - that won't get annoyingly loud when constantly under load - is barely portable anymore and thus I don't see the reason why you would get a Laptop for your animation work. 

If want have to work at other places and they have good internet, consider using a Remote Desktop Solution to access your Desktop at home as well.

21 minutes ago, Ninoid said:

What do you think?

I think you need a lunchbox PC. Best of both worlds!

https://www.bsicomputer.com/products/portable-lunchbox-computer-1430

Your wallet will hate me, but I'm used to that. 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I think you need a lunchbox PC. Best of both worlds!

https://www.bsicomputer.com/products/portable-lunchbox-computer-1430

Your wallet will hate me, but I'm used to that. 🤪

What about a portable Server Rack, so he can have a Workstation, Rendering and File Server, Portable 4-Modem Mobile Connection and a UPS so there won't be power spikes when running it off a generator. 

/s

image.png.913133a21f2250da858ba37a2a2204e4.pngWhat

24 minutes ago, imcaspar said:

You will constantly be doing Real-Time Playback, so you should really consider upgrading your Desktop instead of getting a Laptop, especially as you're planning to use it docked on your desk most of the time, for the following reason:

Any Laptop with a good enough cooling system - that won't get annoyingly loud when constantly under load - is barely portable anymore and thus I don't see the reason why you would get a Laptop for your animation work. 

If want have to work at other places and they have good internet, consider using a Remote Desktop Solution to access your Desktop at home as well.

I can definitely see where you are coming from.

The plan eventually would be to build another desktop in addition to a laptop. I was prioritising a laptop first for the convenience. With my desktop cpu being 8 years old now, I thought at this stage buying a decent laptop woud be an upgrade that could do the job just as well, or ideally better than my current set up but on the move. Though I get that cooling is a big issue on laptops.

Remote desktop could be a good option though!

48 minutes ago, imcaspar said:

What

Add wheels, and a wireless router and have a portable LAN party where ever you go!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

from laptop to military crate pc's

what happend

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

11 minutes ago, sub68 said:

from laptop to military crate pc's

what happend

Well, I showed up to the thread, and generally when I comment on something, everythig goes to Hell.

I'm good like that. 🤪

38 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well, I showed up to the thread, and generally when I comment on something, everythig goes to Hell.

I'm good like that. 🤪

But your name has angel in it.. very misleading