Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PanosM

Hardware reserved memory pls help!

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i recently bought a ryzen 5 2600x and paired with a gigabyte b450m h and 2 dimms of g.skill aegis 8Gb 3000mhz.However when im on windows, even though it recognises the full 16gb, it says only 7.95 of them are usable. I've tried the msconfig thingy and still nothing. I uninstalled one of the dimms and i can use it in full. Only when i use both, one of them is practically useless. Is there anything i can do?

4 minutes ago, PanosM said:

So i recently bought a ryzen 5 2600x and paired with a gigabyte b450m h and 2 dimms of g.skill aegis 8Gb 3000mhz.However when im on windows, even though it recognises the full 16gb, it says only 7.95 of them are usable. I've tried the msconfig thingy and still nothing. I uninstalled one of the dimms and i can use it in full. Only when i use both, one of them is practically useless. Is there anything i can do?

Does it actually say "Hardware reserved" or are you assuming?

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Did you install the DIMM's in the correct slots? 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?

the board only has 2 DIMM slots, so kinda hard to mess that up. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-38 3600mhz | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 2400mhz | Corsair RM550x (2018) | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv 

Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

the board only has 2 DIMM slots, so kinda hard to mess that up. 

Ah, I didnt look up the board. So thats my bad. :S 

As for the OP: Did you try both stick 1 by 1 in each slot? So stick A in slot 1, then in slot 2, repeat for stick B

6 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Does it actually say "Hardware reserved" or are you assuming?

yes it says it on the task manager

9 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Ah, I didnt look up the board. So thats my bad. :S 

As for the OP: Did you try both stick 1 by 1 in each slot? So stick A in slot 1, then in slot 2, repeat for stick B

no, actually only on the first slot. ill try and update with the results

i had this issue with a set of corsair vengeance memory, when it said hardware reserved it meant that one of my sticks was faulty. even though windows detected the full 16gb it left me with 7.96gb ram usable. sent back ram and got a new kit and it worked fine after that.

so from what ive read it may be a fulty stick or maybe even a faulty slot on the motherboard.

Edited by Lord Sephington

When a man lies he murders some part of the world 
These are the pale deaths 
Which men miscall their lives 
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer 
Cannot the kingdom of salvation 
Take me home

3 minutes ago, Lord Sephington said:

i had this issue with a set of corsair vengeance memory, when it said hardware reserved it meant that one of my sticks was faulty. even though windows detected the full 16gb it left me with 7.96gb ram usable. sent back ram and got a new kit and it worked fine after that.

so from what ive read it may be a fulty stick or maybe even a faulty slot on the motherboard.

Yep, after trying what Dujith said above, my pc doesnt even boot when i have the one specific dimm, and works fine with the other one. so you are probably right

1 minute ago, PanosM said:

Yep, after trying what Dujith said above, my pc doesnt even boot when i have the one specific dimm, and works fine with the other one. so you are probably right

well hopefully you can get set replaced with something that works, hopefully the place you bought it from has decent customer support and just swaps them out for you.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world 
These are the pale deaths 
Which men miscall their lives 
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer 
Cannot the kingdom of salvation 
Take me home