Is this a good laptop

_lucalink

Hi,

Would this be a good laptop for school and general productivity and school as well as the occasional bit of lightroom and photoshop. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-13-ba0002na-13-3-Inch-Touch-screen-i5-1035G1/dp/B0877C8V9G/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hp+envy&qid=1600697630&sr=8-5

If not what would be a good option for this price. £850 is my absolute max price so I cant spend anything over that. 

8 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

Hi,

Would this be a good laptop for school and general productivity and school as well as the occasional bit of lightroom and photoshop. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-13-ba0002na-13-3-Inch-Touch-screen-i5-1035G1/dp/B0877C8V9G/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=hp+envy&qid=1600697630&sr=8-5

If not what would be a good option for this price. £850 is my absolute max price so I cant spend anything over that. 

It's not great. I wouldn't get this.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Gaming laptops are a horrible idea, especially if OP wants something he can carry around without back problems and having to charge every thirty minutes.

OP, consider a used, last-gen X1 Carbon, or T-series/X-series if you want some more IO.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I definitely dont want a gaming laptop

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's not great. I wouldn't get this.

Gaming laptops are a horrible idea, especially if OP wants something he can carry around without back problems and having to charge every thirty minutes.

OP, consider a used, last-gen X1 Carbon, or T-series/X-series if you want some more IO.

I dont really care about I/O as long as it has a headphone jack and, usb-a and usb-c I'm fine. I'm really just looking for a thin and light to get school work done and watch films on as I am planning on getting an Xbox Series X to play games and if I do end up editing photos on it its not going to be very intensive and very occasionally. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I need it to be on amazon as a lot of the money I have for it is amazon vouchers.

5 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

I definitely dont want a gaming laptop

I dont really care about I/O as long as it has a headphone jack and, usb-a and usb-c I'm fine. I'm really just looking for a thin and light to get school work done and watch films on as I am planning on getting an Xbox Series X to play games and if I do end up editing photos on it its not going to be very intensive and very occasionally. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I need it to be on amazon as a lot of the money I have for it is amazon vouchers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E495-20NE000BUK-Windows-Black/dp/B082P71TPS/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+16gb&qid=1600699728&s=computers&sr=1-26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBook-UM431DA-NumberPad-Keyboard/dp/B085FC2G6D/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ryzen+16gb&qid=1600699728&s=computers&sr=1-3

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there something very bad about the HP Envy or is it just not as good value as others

12 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

Just out of curiosity, is there something very bad about the HP Envy or is it just not as good value as others

ryzen 7 3700 should have much better performance than an i5, plus you get 16gb of ram with the last two I've linked

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

ryzen 7 3700 should have much better performance than an i5, plus you get 16gb of ram with the last two I've linked

Would it make much of a difference if I stretch my budget to £900 in terms of what i could get?

24 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

according to cpu benchmark the 3700u is slower than the 1035g1

3 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

according to cpu benchmark the 3700u is slower than the 1035g1

my bad, they are pretty similar. but the 16gb or ram vs only 8 will make a noticeable difference

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

All of these notebooks you’re linking are definitely not color accurate. OP says they need to use Adobe, please pay attention to people’s use case before possibly pushing them into a bad purchase.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

All of these notebooks you’re linking are definitely not color accurate. OP says they need to use Adobe, please pay attention to people’s use case before possibly pushing them into a bad purchase.

it's difficult to find a color accurate laptop for £800, and may not be essential for "the occasional bit of lightroom and photoshop"

31 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's difficult to find a color accurate laptop for £800, and may not be essential for "the occasional bit of lightroom and photoshop"

I do want good colour accuracy as I really notice when there isn't which is one of the reasons i liked the look of that HP because it has 96% SRGB which seemed like the best i good get at that price point.

Would this be worth the extra cash vs the HP? Its bit more than i want to spend but if it will make a big differnce in terms of quality and/or performance it might be worth it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-InfinityEdge-Laptop-i5-10210U-Windows/dp/B082G1JBT2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=dell+xps+13&qid=1600709489&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUFoyVzlCN1hJQ09CJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDEzMjAwMkNMTUZYRTQyMEFPMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzc4MTE1MjFKUUFKNE03OUpRMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Are you buying in UK? If yes, budget in pounds?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Are you buying in UK? If yes, budget in pounds?

yes and is in pounds

10 hours ago, _lucalink said:

yes and is in pounds

What's your budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, genexis_x said:

What's your budget?

£800-900 but that's my absolute limit