Need more help with video output

ProjectBox153

Hi everyone. I made a post last week about a system that I got recently and the issues it was giving me. I will put the original post below for reference rather than typing it all back out here. I had more time to test the system yesterday and this is what I got, and the results are strange to me:

• The system still will not output any video through a PCIe GPU (I've tried a couple so far, including the GTX 550 Ti that was originally part of this system and is known to work fine)
  • The system WILL not output video through the integrated graphics, but only when there is no dGPU installed despite the UEFI settings
  • The integrated graphics will only output through VGA, not DVI. I've yet to try HDMI as I don't have a monitor handy in my workshop with HDMI
  • Using the iGPU through VGA works fine, and the system proceeds to boot up completely normally and loads Windows without issue
  • When a dGPU is installed in the system the board will either hang on VGA_LED or BOOT_DEVICE_LED. It doesn't go past either of these with a dGPU
  • Without a dGPU installed the board has gotten hung up on VGA_LED a couple times, but hitting reset seems to get it to work

As you can tell I am very perplexed here. I have a couple more GPUs I can try in case this system is just being picky, but I will have to pull them out of systems in order to try them. I have a few cards I can use to try this, including a Radeon HD 3450 256MB, a Radeon HD 3870 512MB, a Radeon HD 4670 512MB, 2 Radeon HD 5450 1GB cards, a Radeon HD 6870 1GB, a Radeon R9 270 2GB (this card has VRAM issues and has a corrupted image but will work without a driver installed), a couple older GeForce cards (9500GT, 8400GS), a GeForce GT 710 2GB and if I need to I am willing to try my Radeon RX 570 4GB. Out of all these cards I am hoping I have something that may work. In addition I also have a few other CPUs that should work if I need to try a different CPU. I've got a couple Core i5-2400 chips and a Pentium G630.

Does anyone have any more ideas about this? I know it's an old board and I can't complain much as the entire system (case, PSU, 16GB of DDR3, motherboard, GPU, CPU, etc.) was free and wasn't guaranteed to still be working, but if I can get it up and running it would be great for a living room gaming rig as I currently don't have anything in there to play games on and my house isn't really well suited to in-home streaming. Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!

Here's the original post I made:

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

As of now this is solved. I swapped the i7-2600 out with an i5-2400 and it worked just fine. I played around with it and it seemed to be stable, so I put the i7-2600 back into it and it's once again working. This is the first modern ASUS board I've used, so I wasn't too familiar with the quirks they can have. Apparently this board is known to have issues outputting video to a GPU, and there were a lot of posts online about it.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2