Bios update on mobo for a new cpu

Haak

I am going to build a new computer with one of the new GPUs and the upcomming CPU series from AMD if it delivers as i assume it will. As its not to far of i have started bargain hunting. Today a site has the B550 tomahawk at 25%. discount. From what i understand this board will support the new CPUs with a bios update, but is this a simple quick fix and worth the trouble? Or should if just buying a mobo with the support for the new CPUs at launch? i can note that i currently dont have an AMD CPU so i cant get the board up and running. 

The B550 Tomahawk supports BIOS Flashback, so you'll be able to flash a new BIOS on the board without installing a Zen 2 CPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The B550 tomahawk supports BIOS updates without a CPU (as @Mateyyy said), so you should be good.

Motherboards seem to be somewhat unavailable right now so you probably don't want to wait until launch. (Even if Zen 3 isn't a good value/performer, you can still get a 3700x or something else).

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The B550 Tomahawk supports BIOS Flashback, so you'll be able to flash a new BIOS on the board without installing a Zen 2 CPU.

I have heard about this. Do you mind elaborating for me how it works? Just plug in power, internet and push a button?

1 hour ago, Haak said:

Do you mind elaborating for me how it works? Just plug in power, internet and push a button?

Plug the usb stick that has the bios on it, plug the 24 pin and the 8 pin eps connector iirc, and flash the bios without having a cpu in. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Basically you need to load the latest BIOS image onto a FAT32 usb drive, plug that into the BIOS flashback port, and hit flashback. No CPU Required. (You'll need to power the mobo as well)

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD