Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haak

Bios update on mobo for a new cpu

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am going to build a new computer with one of the new GPUs and the upcomming CPU series from AMD if it delivers as i assume it will. As its not to far of i have started bargain hunting. Today a site has the B550 tomahawk at 25%. discount. From what i understand this board will support the new CPUs with a bios update, but is this a simple quick fix and worth the trouble? Or should if just buying a mobo with the support for the new CPUs at launch? i can note that i currently dont have an AMD CPU so i cant get the board up and running. 

The B550 Tomahawk supports BIOS Flashback, so you'll be able to flash a new BIOS on the board without installing a Zen 2 CPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB, 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

The B550 tomahawk supports BIOS updates without a CPU (as @Mateyyy said), so you should be good.

Motherboards seem to be somewhat unavailable right now so you probably don't want to wait until launch. (Even if Zen 3 isn't a good value/performer, you can still get a 3700x or something else).

i5-8600k, ASUS Z370-E ROG, 16gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The B550 Tomahawk supports BIOS Flashback, so you'll be able to flash a new BIOS on the board without installing a Zen 2 CPU.

I have heard about this. Do you mind elaborating for me how it works? Just plug in power, internet and push a button?

1 hour ago, Haak said:

Do you mind elaborating for me how it works? Just plug in power, internet and push a button?

Plug the usb stick that has the bios on it, plug the 24 pin and the 8 pin eps connector iirc, and flash the bios without having a cpu in. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

Basically you need to load the latest BIOS image onto a FAT32 usb drive, plug that into the BIOS flashback port, and hit flashback. No CPU Required. (You'll need to power the mobo as well)

i5-8600k, ASUS Z370-E ROG, 16gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD