Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HowardYing

Microsoft To Buy Bethesda Studios For $7.5 Billion

4 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Let's just hope they lift Bethesda and not tank MS by adopting Bethesda's people or culture.

Uh... you're talking about Microsoft.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Post-Microsoft Acquisition, Bethesda Games Will Be On Other Platforms On A "Case By Case Basis"

According to a report from Bloomberg, Bethesda has been working closely with Sony pre-acquisition with games like Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Given that both of those games were marketed as limited-time PlayStation exclusives, the acquisition of the company by Microsoft could change things.

Bloomberg's Dina Bass says that Microsoft's Phil Spencer told her that the company will honor the PlayStation timed-exclusivity but after that, other console launches outside of PC and Xbox will be reviewed on a "case-by-case basis."

Bethesda is behind some of the most beloved franchises in gaming, including The Elder Scrolls franchise and Doom. Given that many of those series, including the single-player focused Fallout games, have a wide fanbase of millions, it's unlikely that the company would pull access from Sony completely.

We are still awaiting confirmation as we've reached out for comment, but it's likely that Sony fans will still see The Elder Scrolls 6 on PlayStation 5 systems, but brand-new IPs like Starfield might remain an Xbox/PC-only deal.

Fuck that, so now Fallout and Elder Scrolls are going to be tied-in to Gamepass and could be XBOX exclusives? I guess after 76 I figured Bethesda would be tanked, but not like this.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

_114553679_carmack.png

I was kinda curious as to his thoughts on this as well as Romero's.  I'm not sure if you are aware of the nasty court battle between Carmack and Zenimax.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

That's a huge power move from Microsoft, gods speed. If i was Sony i would keep my guard up and look for solution. Buying Sega, TakeTwo or Warner Bros game Studion would be a good counter. Throw in PS Now into ps plus subscription and there you go. Imagine Sony keeping hands on GTA 6 and RDR3. 

I'm a big fan of the Wolfenstein games, I freaking hope they won't mess with any of those future games. But yeah the Xbox Series X financing option has just become even more attractive.

Make sure to Quote or mention me (@soldier_ph, my first name is Pascal) if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

My Tech: 

Phone: Oppo Reno 2Z 128GB in luminous Black Game Console: Nintendo Switch Lite in Grey with Avantree C51 Bluethooth adapter for the Headphones Headphones: Sony WH-H900N in Grey IoT Devices: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB with armor case Mouse: Coolermaster MM710 and Logitech MX Master 3 Mousepad: Logitech G840 and Coolermaster MP510 Notebook: XMG Schenker Core 15 AMD: Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 2060 Refresh 6GB GDDR6, 16GB of Crucial made 3200Mhz RAM, 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, 15.6" Full HD IPS 144Hz Display, 62Wh Battery (46Wh in storage Battery), Intel WiFi 6 AX200 Module with Bluetooth 5.0, Swiss Keyboard layout with RGB and 10-key Block, Windows 10 Pro.  Gaming Chair: LC-GC-3 Chargers: Xtorm XA031 65W Bundle and Xtorm USB Power Hub XPD18 30W Cube Pro Tablet: iPad 8th Gen 2020 128GB Space Grey with Logitech Combo Touch and Apple Pencil first generation

Other Tech:

Scooter: Xiaomi Mi Pro Electric Scooter Toothbrush: Xiaomi Mi Electric Toothbrush Lighting in my room: 3x Xiaomi Yeelight Smart RGB light bulbs

Electric Razor: Philips OneBlade Face & Body Smartwatch: Garmin Fenix 5X Saphire Edition

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

Hope Microsoft makes changes to put an end to bad practises against customers like banning players for reporting an exploit as one of the examples, really do not trust Bethesda which is why i do not buy there games its not cos they are bad, its cos they treat own customers bad.

1 hour ago, centurion_08 said:

That's a huge power move from Microsoft, gods speed. If i was Sony i would keep my guard up and look for solution. Buying Sega, TakeTwo or Warner Bros game Studion would be a good counter. Throw in PS Now into ps plus subscription and there you go. Imagine Sony keeping hands on GTA 6 and RDR3. 

Take-Two Interactive is a publicly-traded company with a value of $18.9 billion. If Sony wanted to buy a majority stake in the company, they'd have to drop considerably more money than $9.5 billion to do it, as their mere interest in buying that many shares would drive the share-price up, likely dramatically.

3 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Fuck that, so now Fallout and Elder Scrolls are going to be tied-in to Gamepass and could be XBOX exclusives? I guess after 76 I figured Bethesda would be tanked, but not like this.

Not really much of an issue for PC users. Anything Xbox gets we also get moving forward. There is no such thing as a console exclusive in the Xbox world, they consider PC part of the Xbox community. This only hurts Sony and ultimately thats not a bad thing. This will be a good thing for the future of Bethesda games, it will be the thing that saves them from the disaster they have been the past few years.

When it comes to acquisitions and in-house game developers, Sony is never going to succeed. Microsoft is a much larger company with a lot more capital to leverage. 

Unfortunately, Microsoft will be prohibiting some Zenimax games from being released on Playstation. Just like it won't be releasing Flight Sim 2020 on Playstation. Their case-by-case ruling will probably assess the following factors:

1. How much profit will they earn from selling the game on Playstation?

2. Will they be able to draw users to the Xbox platform by making it an exclusive?

3. Will they be able to entice PC gamers to purchase the game pass by making it an exclusive?

4. What will the impact be on public relations if they make the game an exclusive?

My guess is that more popular titles, especially those that are non-multiplayer, will not be made an exclusive since they don't want to take the hit to public relations and because they'll make a lot of money in sales to Playstation users (e.g. Starfield or ES6). More obscure games with smaller audiences may find their games becoming exclusives.

As an Xbox for PC game pass user, I am likely to benefit from this deal. If I were still just a console (Playstation) pleb, I would have been pissed. I am also worried about how well Playstation can continue to compete in the console market but, at the same time, both consoles target different audiences. The Xbox is far more "family friendly" and "western" focused while Playstation has a more mature audience with an emphasis on Japanese titles. 

From what I have heard, Bethesda will not be seeing a massive restructuring or change in leadership with this acquisition. I doubt things will change but they're also taking their time with Starfield and ES6 so here is hoping that they're focusing on making quality content that stands apart not because of a gimmick (e.g. FO76) but because it is genuinely a great experience.

I should be writing papers...

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Will mircosoft lift them up or will bethesda drag microsoft down? That's the real question. Bethesda worked hard to get to the bad reputation they have now. They'll have to work even harder to get back to where they were at the release of TESV.

I thought it was EA that caused a lot of the Bethesda problems.  The way I heard it fallout76 was such a POS primarily because of requirements by the parent company to add a lot of crap Bethesda didn’t want to add.   Bethesda did have some homegrown crap though.  Like the tendency to release games with annoying bugs.   Bethesda was the company that got me to never buy a game unless it was already out for a year. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

- That someone other than Todd Howard could get to direct an Elder Scrolls game - which would be great because that guy is a hack.

How can you call someone who was in the chess club a hack? Smh my head. 😤😤

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought it was EA that caused a lot of the Bethesda problems.

You mean Zenimax Media? EA is not the parent company of Bethesda.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

10 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

You mean Zenimax Media? EA is not the parent company of Bethesda.

I don’t remember how exactly it worked.  Does semi max own EA too?  I remember watching this really convoluted thing about how there is a company that owns a bunch of game companies and wanted to go public or sell a game company or something which was a financial move that netted players at te parent company a bunch of money so they were using fallout76 to fill checkboxes rather than actually make a good game.  EA was involved somehow iirc.  It’s appearing like I don’t recall correctly though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Headline: Tech giant admits they can’t innovate or improve upon existing software, pays $7.5 billion to put logo on another company’s products and use their codes.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t remember how exactly it worked.  Does semi max own EA too? 

Uh no? EA is a publicly traded company, they're their own thing. You're way-off here IMO.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

2 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

So now both Bethesda and Obsidian are owned by the same company. That'll be interesting.

Yup. Wouldn't surprise me if Avowed became part of Elder Scrolls and next InXile Wasteland became turn-based Fallout.

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

Uh no? EA is a publicly traded company, they're their own thing. You're way-off here IMO.

Something is way off.  My info may be out of date.  At the time EA was trying to become publicly traded but hadn’t yet. Fallout76 had just come out. Did they at one point own Bethesda?  Also possible the thing was wrong or it was right but I heard it wrong.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Something is way off.  My info may be out of date.  At the time EA was trying to become publicly traded but hadn’t yet. Fallout76 had just come out. Did they at one point own Bethesda?  Also possible the thing was wrong or it was right but I heard it wrong.

EA has never owned Bethesda.  EA and Bethesda were involved in a lawsuit way back in the 80s over a football game, but that's it.

14 hours ago, cj09beira said:

i agree it might help on that side, but it will likely mean they will be locked behind the windows store

I don't think MS buying Zenimax will mean their games are behind the Windows Store.  

Microsoft has been trying to open themselves up if anything.  I think what's going on is they are wanting to create a really big and solid game service. 

I think you'll see their games on Steam, but Microsoft might give you much better deals on their own store (like $5 a month for all games vs $70 a game on Steam), and try and pull people toward a game service subscription - which would be Xbox Live PC Cloud or something.  They've got the infrastructure and all of the resources for it. 

Microsoft has made a lot of mistakes in the past, they've had a more open culture for some time.  I think they'll try and convince people to move with good irresistible incentives and not exclusivity.  Bad for business as well. 

17 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

So now both Bethesda and Obsidian are owned by the same company. That'll be interesting.

I think Microsoft probably saw what Obsidian was doing, and wanted some more talent for their games.  Obsidian and Bethesda have a history, perhaps not an ideal one.  No doubt Microsoft managers can see that their resources skills align quite closely though as they've worked on similar games. 

The interesting thing will be if TESVI is even a thing anymore.  Microsoft may want to pull a lot of resources from Bethesda and put them with Obsidian to work on their games, at least for now.  My guess is that TESVI isn't cancelled, it's just further delayed. 

It's also totally possible Microsoft's only intention is just to take up an opportunity to buy a company that has been having it rough the last couple of years and put some new management in there and see and make some good, profitable games to build up their platform and reputation in the game industry.