Microsoft To Buy Bethesda Studios For $7.5 Billion

Microsoft now own The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, Quake, Rage, and all Obsidian, InXile, and Double Fine games. That's a huge amount of gaming history and of bigger formerly-independent studios that Microsoft now own. I hope they are going to do good things with them.

Microsoft has been making a lot of positive moves lately, but it's still too soon to take it as confirmed that Microsoft is going to continue their good trajectory. I'm concerned that the positive changes Phil Spencer (I'm presuming) has finally brought to Microsoft after being with them for so long could be threatened when he leaves the company - which I hope won't be for a long time still.

I am surprised that ZeniMax sold their company because ZeniMax has been a privately-owned greed-driven rotten company seemingly obsessed with self-aggrandization, and $7.5 billion isn't a lot of money for all of that IP, which I think could easily make that much back within 5 - 8 years, if enough studios are working on projects with them.

I wonder if ZeniMax' owners felt they wanted to spend more time using their money rather than fighting to make it, and so just sold the company. But then, Bethesda Game Studios hasn't released a notable new game in 9 years. So, I think ZeniMax' ownership realized they lacked proper management for what was their company and that they weren't going anywhere fast anymore.

The Elder Scrolls IP going to Microsoft is probably a big improvement over it being under the control of ZeniMax. This means that studios other than Bethesda might make future Elder Scrolls games, and that production, quest design, and writing quality direction might be taken out of Bethesda Game Studios' own hands and undergo more scrutiny and held to better standards (both of those things have been awful in every Bethesda game since Oblivion).

The ZeniMax sale to Microsoft means:

- Management, production quality, and PR representation will likely significantly improve for Bethesda Game Studios games, which has been sorely lacking in all of those things.

- That we'll likely see Elder Scrolls and Fallout games released a lot more regularly, as Microsoft will surely increase the number of studios working on them so that it isn't 5 - 9+ years between each next release. Microsoft didn't pay $7.5 billion to not be releasing games, after all.

- That someone other than Todd Howard could get to direct an Elder Scrolls game - which would be great because that guy is a hack.

- That Obsidian, which Microsoft also own, might make a future Elder Scrolls or Fallout game - which could be great because they actually have writing talent.

- That ZeniMax will be launching fewer lawsuits, including fewer frivolous lawsuits.

"We're Still Bethesda," Says VP Pete Hines Following News Of Microsoft's Acquisition

"But the key point is we’re still Bethesda. We’re still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we’ve worked with for years, and those games will be published by us."

Hopefully, that is mainly just assuaging PR from Hines, because the last thing that BGS games, and Elder Scroll and Fallout fans, need is for them to still be Bethesda, making games in the same way as they were doing under ZeniMax.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

_114553679_carmack.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

_114553679_carmack.png

And Tom Hall's response:

The sale to Microsoft is already bringing-out positive developments.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

57 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Microsoft overpaid for what is currently a garbage company.

Garbage = not profitable? It's a fairly good deal for all the IP they're getting. The original Skyrim alone sold over 30 million units by 2016 without adding in DLC that's around 1 billion pre tax on 1 game in one series that Microsoft now owns. Imagine in Elder scrolls 6 was Xbox and PC exclusive? That would bury sony.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

shit, i dont want to need to use the windows store to play elders scroll VI

Going by Microsoft's recent pledge, you shouldn't have to:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/30/microsoft-approach-to-pc-gaming/

More Choice in Where to Buy Xbox Game Studios Titles

Enabling gamers to play together, through cross-platform play and cross-network play across Windows 10 PCs and console, is vitally important. Building communities across all of those players, regardless of the store or platform they’ve chosen (console or PC), is also vitally important because it helps bring players together, allows games to find their largest audience and allows gaming to deliver its true potential of uniting people around the power of play.

With that in mind, our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games.

4 hours ago, 3rrant said:

It's hard to fail harder than Bethesda did by themself, so future is looking brighter now.

This might be a game changer for the NEXT generation of consoles, considering Bethesda's roadmap (2022+ for Starfield and ??? for TES6) but won't really change much for this one.

It'll bring some more blood to Game Pass, which Xbox surely needs given the first 2-3 years for PS5 are going to be very first party heavy.

27 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

_114553679_carmack.png

Honestly I want Romero to creatively direct a FPS/RPG now that the tech and institutional know-how has caught up. Man was ahead of his time and tried to fly too high, too fast.

4 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Yeah, but with this they get more than 1 SINGLE SOLITARY game :)

HEY!!! Solitaire sold millions of copies, so leave it out of this abomination. 

Yeah, but with this they get more than 1 SINGLE LONELY game

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Let's just hope they lift Bethesda and not tank MS by adopting Bethesda's people or culture.

Uh... you're talking about Microsoft.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Post-Microsoft Acquisition, Bethesda Games Will Be On Other Platforms On A "Case By Case Basis"

According to a report from Bloomberg, Bethesda has been working closely with Sony pre-acquisition with games like Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Given that both of those games were marketed as limited-time PlayStation exclusives, the acquisition of the company by Microsoft could change things.

Bloomberg's Dina Bass says that Microsoft's Phil Spencer told her that the company will honor the PlayStation timed-exclusivity but after that, other console launches outside of PC and Xbox will be reviewed on a "case-by-case basis."

Bethesda is behind some of the most beloved franchises in gaming, including The Elder Scrolls franchise and Doom. Given that many of those series, including the single-player focused Fallout games, have a wide fanbase of millions, it's unlikely that the company would pull access from Sony completely.

We are still awaiting confirmation as we've reached out for comment, but it's likely that Sony fans will still see The Elder Scrolls 6 on PlayStation 5 systems, but brand-new IPs like Starfield might remain an Xbox/PC-only deal.

Fuck that, so now Fallout and Elder Scrolls are going to be tied-in to Gamepass and could be XBOX exclusives? I guess after 76 I figured Bethesda would be tanked, but not like this.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

That's a huge power move from Microsoft, gods speed. If i was Sony i would keep my guard up and look for solution. Buying Sega, TakeTwo or Warner Bros game Studion would be a good counter. Throw in PS Now into ps plus subscription and there you go. Imagine Sony keeping hands on GTA 6 and RDR3. 

I'm a big fan of the Wolfenstein games, I freaking hope they won't mess with any of those future games. But yeah the Xbox Series X financing option has just become even more attractive.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, centurion_08 said:

That's a huge power move from Microsoft, gods speed. If i was Sony i would keep my guard up and look for solution. Buying Sega, TakeTwo or Warner Bros game Studion would be a good counter. Throw in PS Now into ps plus subscription and there you go. Imagine Sony keeping hands on GTA 6 and RDR3. 

Take-Two Interactive is a publicly-traded company with a value of $18.9 billion. If Sony wanted to buy a majority stake in the company, they'd have to drop considerably more money than $9.5 billion to do it, as their mere interest in buying that many shares would drive the share-price up, likely dramatically.

3 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Fuck that, so now Fallout and Elder Scrolls are going to be tied-in to Gamepass and could be XBOX exclusives? I guess after 76 I figured Bethesda would be tanked, but not like this.

Not really much of an issue for PC users. Anything Xbox gets we also get moving forward. There is no such thing as a console exclusive in the Xbox world, they consider PC part of the Xbox community. This only hurts Sony and ultimately thats not a bad thing. This will be a good thing for the future of Bethesda games, it will be the thing that saves them from the disaster they have been the past few years.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Will mircosoft lift them up or will bethesda drag microsoft down? That's the real question. Bethesda worked hard to get to the bad reputation they have now. They'll have to work even harder to get back to where they were at the release of TESV.

I thought it was EA that caused a lot of the Bethesda problems.  The way I heard it fallout76 was such a POS primarily because of requirements by the parent company to add a lot of crap Bethesda didn’t want to add.   Bethesda did have some homegrown crap though.  Like the tendency to release games with annoying bugs.   Bethesda was the company that got me to never buy a game unless it was already out for a year. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

- That someone other than Todd Howard could get to direct an Elder Scrolls game - which would be great because that guy is a hack.

How can you call someone who was in the chess club a hack? Smh my head. 😤😤

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought it was EA that caused a lot of the Bethesda problems.

You mean Zenimax Media? EA is not the parent company of Bethesda.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

10 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

You mean Zenimax Media? EA is not the parent company of Bethesda.

I don’t remember how exactly it worked.  Does semi max own EA too?  I remember watching this really convoluted thing about how there is a company that owns a bunch of game companies and wanted to go public or sell a game company or something which was a financial move that netted players at te parent company a bunch of money so they were using fallout76 to fill checkboxes rather than actually make a good game.  EA was involved somehow iirc.  It’s appearing like I don’t recall correctly though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Headline: Tech giant admits they can’t innovate or improve upon existing software, pays $7.5 billion to put logo on another company’s products and use their codes.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t remember how exactly it worked.  Does semi max own EA too? 

Uh no? EA is a publicly traded company, they're their own thing. You're way-off here IMO.

Main Rig :

Laptop :