$7,300 Passive CPU heatsink

HowardYing
1 hour ago, HowardYing said:

I'm interested to know, why do you think the bottom seems to be the problematic part of the design?

The sheer volume doesn't seems to contain heat pipe which would conduct much better. Also if full the large volume doesn't help the dissipation to the metal balls which are the one doing the work. You would want as much heat as possible to hit those balls as fast as possible which multiply the surface dissipation tenfolds. the hotter it gets to the balls the more the balls dissipate.

On a side note i wonder how they manage to hold the balls sideways. Personally for having worked with such heat transfer solution we used metal shells that has thousands of holes in them fo the air to pass through. here it seems to be missing a part on the top so the balls dont fall when tipped 90 degrees

** Last minute edit note **

This also mimic the same principle as chemical media filtration device. The goal is to have the biggest surface area as possible and the most turbulent airflow. Noise gets horrible but you can make baffle for airflow to reduce it.

2 minutes ago, Franck said:

The sheer volume doesn't seems to contain heat pipe which would conduct much better. Also if full the large volume doesn't help the dissipation to the metal balls which are the one doing the work. You would want as much heat as possible to hit those balls as fast as possible which multiply the surface dissipation tenfolds. the hotter it gets to the balls the more the balls dissipate.

On a side note i wonder how they manage to hold the balls sideways. Personally for having worked with such heat transfer solution we used metal shells that has thousands of holes in them fo the air to pass through. here it seems to be missing a part on the top so the balls dont fall when tipped 90 degrees

This also mimic the same principle as chemical media filtration device. The goal is to have the biggest surface area as possible and the most turbulent airflow. Noise gets horrible but you can make baffle for airflow to reduce it.

That makes sense, thank you for noting that, reminded me of the phase change cooling I was looking at earlier today after a discussion about the cooler in the topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13dWRL9qkc (Fun fact, they're "shipping in November 2020")

I'm interested to know how they're going to hold the balls together at all.

Just now, HowardYing said:

'm interested to know how they're going to hold the balls together at all.

i am assuming a kind of mesh grill on the top so that if you add 4 small fans on top would be a tremendous upgrade. Although very very noisy. It is very efficient for slow cfm. Fast cfm you're still better with a typical coil as a cooling solution for less static pressure.

The fact they target fanless design makes sense. Slow air flow, more surface dissipation and nearly silent since you do not force air through it.

5 minutes ago, Franck said:

I don’t know about heat pipe.  This thing looks hand made.  As such a heat pipe could be simply drilled.  The possibility also exists that the thing is hollow and the entire interior is a low pressure water chamber (I.e. vapor chamber) all a heat pipe or vapor chamber is is an airtight space with some sort of matrix on the walls filled with water that is boiled, then capped at the boiling point and cooled. The tip-off would be some sort of soldered shut hole somewhere.  Could be anywhere though including the bottom or under one of the “trees”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, HowardYing said:

That makes sense, thank you for noting that, reminded me of the phase change cooling I was looking at earlier today after a discussion about the cooler in the topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13dWRL9qkc (Fun fact, they're "shipping in November 2020")

I'm interested to know how they're going to hold the balls together at all.

Holding the balls together is sort of easy.  They bake the thing.  Some sort of sintering.  Variable depending on heat level used and what that grey stuff covering the balls is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know about heat pipe.  This thing looks hand made.  As such a heat pipe could be simply drilled.  The possibility also exists that the thing is hollow and the entire interior is a low pressure water chamber (I.e. vapor chamber) all a heat pipe or vapor chamber is is an airtight space with some sort of matrix on the walls filled with water that is boiled, then capped at the boiling point and cooled. The tip-off would be some sort of soldered shut hole somewhere.  Could be anywhere though including the bottom or under one of the “trees”

Actually one thing I'm thinking of, what if they do have a type of heat pipe or vapor chamber through the bottom that goes into where the balls are? Do you know what I mean? Like maybe the one on the left or right of my poorly done paint illustration 

il_1140xN.2503752665_nqpr.jpg

1 minute ago, HowardYing said:

Actually one thing I'm thinking of, what if they do have a type of heat pipe or vapor chamber through the bottom that goes into where the balls are? Do you know what I mean? Like maybe the one on the left or right of my poorly done paint illustration 

I don’t know.  It’s not impossible.  There’s a bunch of “we can’t see”.  We can’t see the bottom or top for example. Seeing the bottom would explain motherboard connection, and seeing the top could help with are the “trees” solid or hollow.

I had an idea for something like this a few years ago.  Talked about it even.  I was thinking something a lot more thin and finned though. I’m not a bulbous aesthetic dude. Creator of this seems to be though. Bottom piece sort of has the feel of some sink faucet designs. The 90’s had a lot of form is function treatment.  If you turn it upside down it looks like 4 sink faucets spraying water.  Says to me there may be low pressure water on the inside if it was done by an industrial designer.  Might also just be a big hunk of metal though.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know.  It’s not impossible.  There’s a bunch of “we can’t see”.  We can’t see the bottom or top for example. Seeing the bottom would explain motherboard connection, and seeing the top could help with are the “trees” solid or hollow.

I had an idea for something like this a few years ago.  Talked about it even.  I was thinking something a lot more thin and finned though. I’m not a bulbous aesthetic dude. Creator of this seems to be though. Bottom piece sort of has the feel of some sink faucet designs. The 90’s had a lot of form is function treatment.  If you turn it upside down it looks like 4 sink faucets spraying water.  Says to me there may be low pressure water on the inside if it was done by an industrial designer.  Might also just be a big hunk of metal though.

Actually, here's a top down picture from the product page.Sadly, there is not one of the bottom, which would be pretty useful.
https://i.etsystatic.com/24264448/r/il/9f0769/2456135590/il_794xN.2456135590_9kqj.jpg

16 minutes ago, HowardYing said:

that version on the right is very very similar to the system i worked with. It was more like an electric whisk paddle shape but it's the same principle.

3 minutes ago, Franck said:

that version on the right is very very similar to the system i worked with. It was more like an electric whisk paddle shape but it's the same principle.

That's pretty cool if you ask me

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I recall that one. Also Boris tested with (what else?) Vodka.

Perhaps this could be a LTT video, what readily accessible...fluids....make for the best WC efficiency?

For when you're stranded on an island without water anywhere but you have electricity and your water cooling loop needs a refill?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

stranded on an island without water

So....a desert then?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

So....a desert then?

Yes, let's go with that and all the cacti have working power outlets

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 hours ago, HowardYing said:

Actually, here's a top down picture from the product page.Sadly, there is not one of the bottom, which would be pretty useful.
https://i.etsystatic.com/24264448/r/il/9f0769/2456135590/il_794xN.2456135590_9kqj.jpg

That top down pic is fakery.  I can say that with a pretty good level of confidence.  The balls in the top down are shaved on the sides. That is different from the 3d pic.  They might both even be fakery. 

Thinking about the “big hunk of metal” concept.  My grandma did a bronze statue one evening in the 1930’s. If “big hunk of metal” works I could lap and drill the base and you could just use it as a cooler. Bronze is copper and tin.  Should wick heat pretty well. Cpu cooler pressure is like 60lb so a pretty big bronze could be used.

I actually think this is kind of exciting from an arts perspective.  Makes sculpture useful. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

definitely a scam :/

Doesn’t seem that way to me, though you could be right.  A good bronze can go for thousands.  There are Remington bronzes of the right size that go for millions. 

This is one of his more famous pieces.  It’s about a foot high. How cool would it be to have that on your desk sitting on a motherboard?

A5E8D582-9654-4C44-AB25-53BB0A4556C3.jpeg

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Doesn’t seem that way to me, though you could be right.  A good bronze can go for thousands.

This is advertised as a CPU cooler and I have strong doubts it can do the job.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

This is advertised as a CPU cooler and I have strong doubts it can do the job.

If it can’t do it’s job it’s just a not really good sculpture.  I think a sculpture could be done though.  It would have to be tested.

6 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

me reading "peeing on those spheres". 

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

water cooling

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If it can’t do it’s job it’s just a not really good sculpture.  I think a sculpture could be done though.  It would have to be tested.

Just don't pee on it

1 minute ago, HowardYing said:

Just don't pee on it

it's not funny after the first time :c

and pls dont remember me that way, i didn't say that

it was techwizard, he's the pee guy

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

it's not funny after the first time :c

and pls dont remember me that way, i didn't say that

it was techwizard, he's the pee guy

Sorry, I tend to over use jokes... and honestly, that just might be how I remember you.

The air in the gaps between all of those little spheres is going to kill any kind of thermal dissipation this thing could have had. The heat is only going to be efficiently transferred where the little balls physically come into contact with each other which actually dramatically reduces surface area. Air gaps like that is what we try to prevent by using thermal paste after all...