Zotac rtx 3080 trinity allegedly gimped on purpose

spartaman64

Zotac's Geforce RTX 3080 Trinity model is a good example of what the buyers need to be aware of. Potential customers expressed their confusion and wariness of the card's performance which is said to be one to three per cent behind Founders Edition of RTX 3080 on Zotac's subreddit but it's still priced the same .

While we normally expected to see a PR response that explains next to nothing, Zotac's rep answered with a rather interesting statement - the card is designed to perform worse than FE so Zotac could differentiate it from the higher end models they are planning to put out.

According to another comment from the same rep , there is a possibility of a future BIOS update where the thermal limits would be lightened, which could result in better performance, but there is no way to confirm it at this time until the response from Zotac HQ in Hong Kong comes back.

z_staff official rep

It's by design - it's also a way to seperate our higher end models from the basic Trinity models.

Edit: welp this blew up - as we mentioned in this thread, we aren't sure what the actual issue is. Usually, our higher tier cards offer more performance to seperate themselves from our lower tier cards. However in this situation, it apperas that there's something else possibly going on. This is why this thread goes on to us saying we will inquire with our HQ about what the issue is. We are awaiting a response just like you.

Before sleep Edit: Just to clear things up, we initially believed and assumed performance was due to ZOTAC product segmentation and the 3080 Trinity model being the base introduction model into our 30 series lineup - it would be the slower model afterall, usually base models - which is of course, by design (quoting ourselves). There are AMP and AMP Extreme models which feature higher binned GPUs and usually offer more performance. After some early reviews of the 3080 Trinity had been published and early feedback was left by users - there appeared to be some questionable performance when compared to 3080 FE performance. We listened as we always do our best to do in this sub and responded with an assumption that the performance was based on ZOTAC’s usual product segmentation which is what is always done with a series of products.

In regards to performance, we aren't sure why the card is performing the way it is based on early feedback. We have been told that the 3080 Trinity is actually beating FE in some tests as well - so we may be seeing a broad range of varying performance or massive inconsistencies. We really aren’t sure yet - there are still other reviews to come out and feedback is still very early, but comments are important to us no matter if they are negative or positive, or based on early reporting. It’s a part of improving - it’s why we are here running this sub, so we can talk and have open discussions and collect feedback.

We have the ability to inquire directly with ZOTAC's HQ in HK and provide everyone's feedback, especially the very angry feedback (our inbox is in pain right now) about expecting more from the 3080 Trinity if performance continues to be less than FE on a consistent level.

source: https://www.altchar.com/game-news/zotacs-rtx-3080-trinity-performance-is-apparently-gimped-on-purpose-aUqBg6x813Ol

Well if what is said is true then this is a terrible anticonsumer move to gimp your lower level card to make your higher level look better. If you are going to make it perform worse than the stock card then price it below the stock card. Of course the rep backtracked from that statement probably because they got yelled at by HQ. They apparently blacklisted gamers nexus because of a negative review and because of that I decided to avoid zotac cards and apparently I made the right decision.

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

They apparently blacklisted gamers nexus because of a negative review

-writes zotac down into my blacklist as well-

I saw AHOC's PCB analysis of it anyways (it's crap), so I wasnt planning on getting it

but this just makes me not want to buy any of their gpus

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Older Nvidia reference designs with blown up VRMs might finally have a competitor.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

A whole whopping 1-3 percent and people are getting their depends in a knot. 

It's like margin of error type difference and then the rep decides to go rogue lol.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

I had ZOTAC on my blacklist from GTX 980 days where they had bunch of cards with totally screwed up fan profiles that were stopping fans at wrong times or not stopping them at all even though they should in idle. And I think they also had some weird RPM ramping up issues. If my graphic card was doing that I could never get over it. Also, haven't they also had some VRM cooling issues where they had totally insufficient heatsinks on VRM segment? So I just avoid them entirely even though they seem to look alright.

Though people really need to understand that NVIDIA keeps all the best binned GPU' for their cards and sells higher binned ones to AIB's who make those stupid expensive cards with stupid beefy coolers. I don't think ZOTAC is one of them...

The FE's are not "reference". They are very high end PCB's and the reference boards the AIB boards have are worse hence this one is worse. Yes it's "by design". I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary here, I guess people didnt realize FE was high end this year.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

-writes zotac down into my blacklist as well-

I saw AOC's PCB analysis of it anyways (it's crap), so I wasnt planning on getting it

but this just makes me not want to buy any of their gpus

I saw AOC and got really confused for a second lol.

Never planned on buying a Zotac card, definitely won't be now. Not that I plan on buying another Nvidia GPU. I'd really REALLY like to give my money to AMD, if they'll actually make something that beats a 1080ti water cooled and overclocked.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I saw AOC and got really confused for a second lol.

i missed a H :c edited it

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i missed a H :c edited it

Made me chuckle quite a bit lol.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So basically their cooling solution is worse than the FE and the card cannot boost as much? And this is considered "gimped" nowadays? Because the FE should be the worst imaginable design? I don't get it.

16 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

So basically their cooling solution is worse than the FE and the card cannot boost as much? And this is considered "gimped" nowadays? Because the FE should be the worst imaginable design? I don't get it.

It starts throttling at 70 degrees that's not normal and if you are going to make it worse than the FE on purpose then price it below the FE

21 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Well if what is said is true then this is a terrible anticonsumer move to gimp your lower level card to make your higher level look better.

21 hours ago, Moonzy said:

writes zotac down into my blacklist as well

So as this has been brought up here i'd like to share my story on that kind of topic.

Last year on black friday i bought a Gigabyte 2080 super Gaming OC. In order to choose the card i wanted, i looked up all the different models and their power limit in order to figure out which card would give me the best performance. So the mentioned GIgabyte model had reviews saying, the card had a 250W power limit. When i then tested my new shiny card i could only get around 200W max. Little did i know...

The card i bought was a Revision 2.0. This was clearly not mentioned on the box or on the site (and many others aswell) i bought the card. Only on the little sticker on the cards backplate there was this little "rev2.0". After some research i found out that the cards all reviewers got were rev1.0. They are exactly the same card but with 250W power limit. Of course test results and all the published reviews got pushed by the awesome performance and OC headroom. At my time of buying you could only get the rev2.0.

I suspect that Gigabyte secretly launched the rev2.0 shortly after the release with a few rev1.0 and by doing so artificially limiting their cards performance so that the highest end 2080super design would be the "real" perfomance king while at the same time painting their mid-tier 2080super in a brilliant light performance-wise.

My suspicion as to why they did it may be wrong but non-the-less it's an absolute dick move (especially because it is so hard to find out which revision you are actually getting until it arrives).

What do you guys think?

edit:

Later, through some fishy site, i downloaded a rev1.0 bios and flashed that onto my card. Since it's the same hardware as the rev1.0 it worked perfectly. I now have a rev2.0 card that performs as good as it can and should.

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

It starts throttling at 70 degrees that's not normal and if you are going to make it worse than the FE on purpose then price it below the FE

They dont control FE pricing. Nvidia is taking a bath on the FE cards this year so they could advertise a low MSRP on the cards. This was explained prior to launch by some youtubers but people are just catching on. FE this year is high end PCB and high end cooler at reference pricing.

Basically, FE competes with the top AIB cards but at lower cost, if you can get a FE do it.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

21 minutes ago, HotdropHeinz said:

What do you guys think?

that's some kingston 300V bait and switching bullshit right there, why isnt this in the news

-points to my blacklist- gigabyte's already in there for different reasons, but also GPU related (their customer service, really)

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

why isnt this in the news

thats what i asked myself as well. also quite risky by gigabyte. if something like that were to become topic of a big youtubers video, their reputation would be hurt bad...

recently my gigabyte motherboard died and the next board i got was an asus board. i'm quite "saturated" with that whole gigabyte expirience atm

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

35 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Nobody is stopping you from getting a FE. Oh wait, there is this tiny supply problem. 🙄

But seriously, I don't know what people were expecting. Is this some kind of buyers remorse because they didn't wait for the reviews? And now they are complaining about the performance of their entry level option? Because it's not as fast as other designs? Too bad! If you had to get the cheapest available card on launch day, you shouldn't complain about a tiny 1% - 3% performance drop compared to the rest of the field. This is probably the reason it was the cheapest option.

Oof. always seemed a bit sketchy but that doesn't mean others aren't...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is why I only buy Nvidia cards from Powercolor smh my head. 😤

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

there's a reason zotac cards a the cheapest of the bunch. though they do give 5 years warranty though.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

7 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

This is why I only buy Nvidia cards from Powercolor smh my head. 😤

Solid choice.

20200922_135725.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

32 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Solid choice.

20200922_135725.jpg

And people said the 2080 ti was overpriced, they haven't seen this ^^

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Nobody is stopping you from getting a FE. Oh wait, there is this tiny supply problem. 🙄

But seriously, I don't know what people were expecting. Is this some kind of buyers remorse because they didn't wait for the reviews? And now they are complaining about the performance of their entry level option? Because it's not as fast as other designs? Too bad! If you had to get the cheapest available card on launch day, you shouldn't complain about a tiny 1% - 3% performance drop compared to the rest of the field. This is probably the reason it was the cheapest option.

they maybe expect it not to throttle at 70 degrees? its not mentioned anywhere and probably most people still dont know. and there are many other similar priced cards from other AIB partners that dont have this problem 

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

They dont control FE pricing. Nvidia is taking a bath on the FE cards this year so they could advertise a low MSRP on the cards. This was explained prior to launch by some youtubers but people are just catching on. FE this year is high end PCB and high end cooler at reference pricing.

Basically, FE competes with the top AIB cards but at lower cost, if you can get a FE do it.

its not just the FE if you compare to other AIB lower end cards none of them start throttling at 70 degrees

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its not just the FE if you compare to other AIB lower end cards none of them start throttling at 70 degrees

Maybe some people mistake it for throttling when the GPU Boost algorythm takes a few MHz away at higher temps. It's completely normal for NVIDIA GPUs to boost higher when the temps are lower. Every model does this. As long as the card doesn't drop under 1440MHz (base clock) it's technically not "throttling". It's just not boosting as high.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

This actually seems like how a base model non FE card will perform. 

The FE coolers are great this gen. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case