75hz vs 144hz for SP gaming

marbled

Hi folks, I've been playing around with a 1080p build for later this year/January. At the moment I've got a 3600 on a B550 MB, paired with the 5600XT. However, I'm hoping that by the time I build I'd be looking at a 3060/6600 equivalent plus a 4000 series CPU.

I'm trying to save costs wherever possible. Currently I have the AOC 24G2U 24" down which is 144Hz and normally costs around £180 but I noticed that there's a 75Hz version for £30 less. I only play single player games - ones I'd be excited about are e.g. Titanfall 2, Doom, Dishonored, Deathloop, Cyberpunk, Total War, Assassin's Creed, Xcom etc. I understand that high refresh rates are better for multiplayer gaming but I'm wondering whether I'd really notice the improvement going over 75hz for the kind of games I like to play?

2 minutes ago, marbled said:

Hi folks, I've been playing around with a 1080p build for later this year/January. At the moment I've got a 3600 on a B550 MB, paired with the 5600XT. However, I'm hoping that by the time I build I'd be looking at a 3060/6600 equivalent plus a 4000 series CPU.

I'm trying to save costs wherever possible. Currently I have the AOC 24G2U 24" down which is 144Hz and normally costs around £180 but I noticed that there's a 75Hz version for £30 less. I only play single player games - ones I'd be excited about are e.g. Titanfall 2, Doom, Dishonored, Deathloop, Cyberpunk, Total War, Assassin's Creed, Xcom etc. I understand that high refresh rates are better for multiplayer gaming but I'm wondering whether I'd really notice the improvement going over 75hz for the kind of games I like to play?

You get a more realistic and just a better experience with higher refresh rate.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

it's overall smoother, but some people wont be able to perceive it

though almost everyone can tell 60 from 144 after using 144 for a bit

also make sure your games can actually run at those fps before buying it, because if your games can only run at 60fps then what's the point.

whether if it's worth it is up to you

I personally wont go below 144hz after experiencing high refresh rate

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

From 60/75GHz to 144 is a huge difference in term of smoothness. Even if you don't play E-sport games. I strongly recommend 144Hz monitor especially you have the hardware to drive it.

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it's overall smoother, but some people wont be able to perceive it

though almost everyone can tell 60 from 144 after using 144 for a bit

also make sure your games can actually run at those fps before buying it, because if your games can only run at 60fps then what's the point.

whether if it's worth it is up to you

I personally wont go below 144hz after experiencing high refresh rate

Cool thanks - yes that's really the question. Will have to wait and see some benchmarks for the 3060/6600XT and the 4300X/4600 to see what performance I could get at 1080p!