Can I have....?

ntrsnkk

...1x 8GB RAM and 1x 32GB RAM in same machine? And if yes, will 16gb used as dual channel and rest as single channel memory or how does that add up?

Or should I go with only 1x32gb for now and wait till i can get a 2nd of those?

Thank you guys

cheers

1 minute ago, ntrsnkk said:

That's probably your best bet. With that much RAM, 8GB isn't going to make much of a difference anyway (at least for gaming).

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, ntrsnkk said:

...1x 8GB RAM and 1x 32GB RAM in same machine? And if yes, will 16gb used as dual channel and rest as single channel memory or how does that add up?

Yes, you most likely can have them in the same PC, though it's not guaranteed to work. Also, no, only 8GB would be in dual-channel.

2 minutes ago, ntrsnkk said:

Why do you need 64GB in the first place, tho?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, ntrsnkk said:

Thank you guys

cheers

Why not get a 2x16gb kit then? Why the need for so much memory?

What's it to be used for?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, you most likely can have them in the same PC, though it's not guaranteed to work. Also, no, only 8GB would be in dual-channel.

just because i have 2 razer blades 15" and in one is 2x8GB and in the other 2x32GB - So i kinda want them to be same setup 

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

What's it to be used for?

Mostly I use it for DayTrading, but next to it I'm running a VirtualBox with ParrotOS KDE and of course gaming...

the most excessive usage will be when i have my charts on while programming in virtual box while rendering a video or so

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

yes its what i meant 8gb in dual, so 16gb would run dual and 24 single? or am i confusing something?

5 minutes ago, ntrsnkk said:

Mostly I use it for DayTrading, but next to it I'm running a VirtualBox with ParrotOS KDE and of course gaming...

4 minutes ago, ntrsnkk said:

the most excessive usage will be when i have my charts on while programming in virtual box while rendering a video or so

To be honest that's kind of beyond my understanding, but hopefully someone else can chime in.

What I would say is maybe balance speed with capacity, depending on what's more important to you. It's easier to find faster RAM of smaller capacity. Also, mixing RAM might screw up whatever XMP you might be hoping for. If you manually overclock it might make things extra fiddly.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Mhhhh thanks for your reply tho i really don’t know how to figure the best way now w o spending any extra bucks on it. I just wanna use what I have for now. Which is 2x8gb and 2x32gb and 2 machines.... is there a way to testdrive it and get like a benchmark to the RAM setup?

I’d like to try the following;

2x8gb vs 1x32gb vs 1x32+1x8

For those who care;

I managed to set both up w the 40gigs combo and both are super fast. 16/40 will be used as dual channel and 24 as single. So yes it works! Both chips are Samsung same build just diff size so maybe that’s why. 

question solved thread can be closed :)

1DF06D4E-C661-464C-A55D-2075D3E85375.jpeg

FFCD0161-7333-4384-A6DC-66E0408F89B9.jpeg

FD58A95D-D6A0-4D8A-A6AB-D944A1D53901.jpeg