What do you usually do on your computer you build?

StrawberryShortCakes
5 hours ago, Arachknight1 said:

I don't really use my PC. When I do, I use it for project work or school and spend hours on end doing it. Some people don't understand that PC's can be used for more than to just play games or watch videos. My parents say I am addicted to my PC, yes I do occasionally watch something or play something but since I am spending so much time on my PC and my parents really only see me when I am gaming, they think I'm addicted. Tell your sister about what you do. Show her how you do it. She'll then understand what you do. These days spending hours on a PC is normal for everybody. Say you are in office and you spend a long time on your PC. You come back from work and your parents ask you "What did you do today?" you say "I spent time on the PC." if your parents or whoever is there thinks you are addicted because of spending so much time on the PC, they probably have no brain.

See my earlier response.

The parents don't lack a brain, you just don't understand what they mean and they aren't that good at expressing it.

Sitting in front of a PC at work and sitting in front of a PC during your spare time are two separate things. Your parents aren't telling you "you spend too much time at the PC" because sitting at a PC is somehow inherently bad. They say it because they see you wasting time playing games when you should be doing other things which are more important. They would probably tell you similar things if you instead of sat at your PC sat in front of a TV instead, or collected stamps or whatever.

Doing what you like and find enjoyable (in this case, something related to PCs) should be lowest on your priority list, after things like eating, sleeping, exercising, earning money/studying, maintaining friendships and so on.

I think that's where a lot of the communication breaks down between parents and PC addicted teenagers.

When a parent says "all you do is play video games" they don't mean that literally, or they didn't pick the right words. What they mean is "I believe you are prioritizing the wrong things in life and it has a negative effect on you. Please look after yourself before doing things you think are fun".

Like in this thread we have discovered that OP's sister wants him to exercise instead of sitting at the PC all the time. It's not that his sister dislikes him sitting at the PC. It's that his sister dislikes him sitting at the PC and neglecting more important things.

If you want an analogy. Sitting at your PC and doing things you like (like playing games, 3D modeling, posting on LTT etc) is like eating cake.

There is nothing wrong with eating cake, as long as you do it in small doses and after you have eaten more important things like vegetables.

When your parents as you to stop playing games all the time they basically asking you "eat your vegetables before you eat your cake".

When you respond by saying "but I am not playing games I am posting on LTT" it's basically like saying "I am not just eating cake I am eating brownies and drinking soda too".

And I am 99.99% sure that if you always did your homework on time, socialized with your friends face to face, exercises regularly, had a regular sleeping pattern, ate healthily, etc, then your parents wouldn't complain about you spending time at your PC.

But you're most likely choosing your PC over some of those more important things, and that's why your parents are complaining about it.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I'm asking because my sister says I'm obsessed with my precious computer, I'm trying to see if what I'm doing on it truly constitues me being addicted to computers systems. 

System build : on my signature bar

Uses :

3D modelling (cars, game character mods, mmd) 

3D printing models (Pokemon models, Gundam models, miniaturized metal car parts models) 

Designing vinyl wraps/ illusion wraps

Video chats overseas with modeling group

Learning data structures and algorithms (learning to make an app) 

Zoom chats with friends

And gaming (not very often) 

So am I addicted? 

What do you guys normally do? 

I wonder, does this same sister spent half her life with her head buried in her mobile phone or tablet?

On 9/21/2020 at 7:49 AM, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I'm asking because my sister says I'm obsessed with my precious computer, I'm trying to see if what I'm doing on it truly constitues me being addicted to computers systems. 

System build : on my signature bar

Uses :

3D modelling (cars, game character mods, mmd) 

3D printing models (Pokemon models, Gundam models, miniaturized metal car parts models) 

Designing vinyl wraps/ illusion wraps

Video chats overseas with modeling group

Learning data structures and algorithms (learning to make an app) 

Zoom chats with friends

And gaming (not very often) 

So am I addicted? 

What do you guys normally do? 

I've heard video chats overseas takes a lot of RGB performance boosts. 

14 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I wonder, does this same sister spent half her life with her head buried in her mobile phone or tablet?

Read the thread a bit more.

His sister exercises and that is the main reason why she is trying to make OP leave his computer.

Stop with the ad hominem attacks. Even IF (and this is a massive IF) his sister uses her phone excessively doesn't mean OP is immune from criticism and his behavior isn't a problem.

Everyone who writes "I bet his sister uses her phone a lot" completely lacks self-insight and are missing the point.

Oh definitely to watch Po...kémon

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Content consumption, high refreshrate non competitive gaming, game server hosting (can't anymore, need new cpu)

i5 4670, 24gb 1333mhz and a 1070

Pizza is the best food group

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

His sister exercises and that is the main reason why she is trying to make OP leave his computer.

Stop with the ad hominem attacks. Even IF (and this is a massive IF) his sister uses her phone excessively doesn't mean OP is immune from criticism and his behavior isn't a problem.

Everyone who writes "I bet his sister uses her phone a lot" completely lacks self-insight and are missing the point.

Why are you so upset?

Seriously, relax, you sound like a petulant child having a tantrum because someone doesn't agree with you.

It's embarrassing and has lowered the tone of the thread.

P.S you say just because she might use her phone a lot doesn't mean her brother is immune from criticism. 

Well, just because he uses a computer a lot doesn't mean she is immune to criticism were she using her phone a lot.

That's called intellectual consistency...you should try it.

Well, it looks to me like your hobbies/interests are tied to PC and I see nothing bad about that. You're not addicted to a PC as such, more to the things you do on it. I just use my PC for work (9-10 hours a day) so you might call me addicted as well.   

I built my pc to play games (mostly sim racing, iRacing and Assetto Corsa). What do I mostly do on it?  Watch YouTube. 😂

On 9/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, LAwLz said:

Procrastinating in simple terms is "not doing things you need to do, and doing things you think are fun instead".

For example "I have homework due for tomorrow, but I'll do some 3D modeling instead because it's more fun".

I'm not saying that you do that, but I used 3D modeling as an example. Procrastinating is bad and should be avoided. 

I totally understand that feeling. But I think your sister tries to do this because she is worried about your health.

It's extremely hard to go to the gym if you're not motivated though, so I completely understand your feelings too. When I was younger I was in your situation. Now that I am older however, I go to the gym twice a week and jog outside once a week, and I wish I had picked up this habit earlier.

Exercise is one of those things you hate doing while you do it, but you love the benefits of afterwards. Benefits like living longer, being more attractive, having more energy in everyday life, doesn't feel weak or fragile among others, boosts self-esteem, sleeping better, etc.

Your sister sounds like she cares for you. I get that it doesn't feel like that when she tries to drag you to some gym or judo class, but she does. The mean words like "you're obsessed with your computer" is her venting her frustration that you are choosing to sit in front of your computer (doing things you like) rather than doing things you don't like but need (exercise).

At least that's how I interpret the situation based on my very limited understanding of it. I might be completely off.

Thanks for your explanation, I guess you might be right about the gym but I'm a 39kg 14yr old the last time I did sit ups with her I almost died of dehydration. I was on medication for a whole month. 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:38 AM, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Nope, she's a Sargent in the police force she trains cadets 

On 9/25/2020 at 3:19 PM, LAwLz said:

lol, 

On 9/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, Dyaets said:

Well, it looks to me like your hobbies/interests are tied to PC and I see nothing bad about that. You're not addicted to a PC as such, more to the things you do on it. I just use my PC for work (9-10 hours a day) so you might call me addicted as well.   

You get paid to be on the pc. That's not addiction that's called a job. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Mostly audio work. Do corporate audio production for a living, can do 13/14 hour days on the odd occasion.

Also game fairly rarely, mostly Assetto Corsa, Stormworks, BeamNG.Drive etc.

Like others have said, Computers are more a tool than an entertainment device. My computer's are literally the source of all of my income.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)