Overcoming Eduroam

CleftyHeft

So I just preordered a PS5 digital edition and I realized that it might not work with the PS5 due to it's WPA2 enterprise network security. However, I have come up with a few solutions that I was hoping someone could help me test out as I do not have sufficient cables just yet (most of my junk are back in my home country).

Potential Solution 1:

I have bridged eduroam to my Nintendo Switch via mobile hotspot before. However, the speeds are incredibly slow (less than 10mbps) and I cannot imagine how it'd be like to install games that are about 100gb with that speed. My solution to this is to bridge the internet via ethernet (from windows to PS5, or any console will do). Can someone help me test these speeds?

Potential Solution 2:

I did some research and found out that I may be able to connect a WiFi extender to eduroam, and establish the network under a different SSID. This way, the PS5 may be able to detect and connect to this new SSID.

I really hope someone could help test this out for me. Please note that the console does not have to be a PS5. From what I know, most consoles including the Switch, Xbox One and PS4 do not support WPA2 Enterprise. 

Thanks!

Could you not connect the wifi extender to eduroam, and then use an ethernet from the extender into the console?

Just now, owencrispy said:

Could you not connect the wifi extender to eduroam, and then use an ethernet from the extender into the console?

Hi, thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I think would work (see solution 2). Your solution involves ethernet while mine involves WiFi which now that I think of it, I prefer yours! However, I'm unsure whether WiFi extenders can actually connect to eduroam as I've never tested this before. Have you?

8 minutes ago, CleftyHeft said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I think would work (see solution 2). Your solution involves ethernet while mine involves WiFi which now that I think of it, I prefer yours! However, I'm unsure whether WiFi extenders can actually connect to eduroam as I've never tested this before. Have you?

Im not sure if i managed to get on working in my first year of university (over 3 years ago now), but I can't see why It wouldnt? I mean, all the extenders rely on is a login from the orignal SSID/connection point, so i do think that when you try to connect the extender to it, you should just be able to login as you would using another device.

As for connection, im also not sure how quick it would be. I can count on ethernet via the extender being more reliable, so im endorsing that!

11 minutes ago, CleftyHeft said:

come to think of it, whats stopping you connecting your ps4 straight to Eduroam? When i was back in first year, they had a guide on how to connect consoles/other devices to it such as printers

2 minutes ago, owencrispy said:

come to think of it, whats stopping you connecting your ps4 straight to Eduroam? When i was back in first year, they had a guide on how to connect consoles/other devices to it such as printers

The reason why you can't connect the PS4 directly to Eduroam is because Eduroam requires your university ID and your password, and the PS4 does not support this network security configuration. This is my concern with a WiFi extender as well.

1 hour ago, CleftyHeft said:

I believe modern routers/APs do support WPA2 enterprise and you can get a second hand router and install DD-WRT on it which definitely supports WPA2. I did this for my friend while I was studying.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

I believe modern routers/APs do support WPA2 enterprise and you can get a second hand router and install DD-WRT on it which definitely supports WPA2. I did this for my friend while I was studying.

Have you ever run a speed test? Is there a significant drop in speeds?

1 hour ago, CleftyHeft said:

Have you ever run a speed test? Is there a significant drop in speeds?

I did but I don't remember as it was 3 years ago. :/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Enquire with your IT support crew to see if your campus supports "MAC Authentication".  This is a strategy whereby the WiFi controller will authenticate utilizing the non 802.x conformant device MAC address as username and password to the backend radius server (802.X usually backended with radius).  Then institution would then have you register your MAC with some local Authentication DB (LDAP or whatever) for the radius server to validate against.  This is how we do it at teh University I work for.  

9 hours ago, eece_ret said:

Enquire with your IT support crew to see if your campus supports "MAC Authentication".  This is a strategy whereby the WiFi controller will authenticate utilizing the non 802.x conformant device MAC address as username and password to the backend radius server (802.X usually backended with radius).  Then institution would then have you register your MAC with some local Authentication DB (LDAP or whatever) for the radius server to validate against.  This is how we do it at teh University I work for.  

These is what my school also does with eduroam but we use a separate network called the gaming network that you connect to over either wired or wireless