2080 TI afterburner OC + UV advice needed

purplechipotle

Hi, avid reader, new to posting. I appreciate any help I can get.

Card: Gigabyte Windforce 2080 TI 11G

My main goal is undervolting to achieve better temps, but if I can get a small OC in combination with similar undervolting results then that would be a bonus.

I used MSI Afterburner 'scanner' and upped the memory clock with 1000 MHz, then pulled down the voltage required to achieve the max core frequency.

I'm really confused by the results and unable to interpret the graphs / stress tests correctly.

When I run a stress test (Heaven 4.0/Kombustor) the frequency and voltage stays at 1440MHz @ 737mV.

Why is that not going any higher? It corresponds to the vertical yellow dotted line in the V/F curve editor. What does that line implicate?

Main Afterburner UI: arrows pointing to base and boost clocks seem to point to 1700'ish MHz base 1850'ish MHz boost. How are these determined? (The max frequency after the 'scanner' results is 1995 MHz and that doesn't correspond to either the base or the boost clock.)

Untitled.png

The OC Scanner determines what the max clock you can get for every step of voltage it can receive.  Since you undervolted it, it's staying at 737mV and at that voltage your clocks are as shown in the line graph, your yellow line.

I'm not sure where you're looking at on MSI AB that shows 1700-1850 clocks.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

17 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

The OC Scanner determines what the max clock you can get for every step of voltage it can receive.  Since you undervolted it, it's staying at 737mV and at that voltage your clocks are as shown in the line graph, your yellow line.

I'm not sure where you're looking at on MSI AB that shows 1700-1850 clocks.

Hi Sam, I haven't set the voltage to 737mV anywhere. Even if I apply the profile without undervolting after using the AB 'scanner' it is stuck at 1440MHz.

1700-1850 is what I see from the white and orange/red arrows on the circular scale above the '1440MHz'.

1 minute ago, purplechipotle said:

Hi Sam, I haven't set the voltage to 737mV anywhere.

The appearance of the yellow line indicates that you have set the voltage.

You select a point of the curve, press CTRL+L (the yellow line appears), press apply and then you're GPU will lock to that frequency.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The appearance of the yellow line indicates that you have set the voltage.

You select a point of the curve, press CTRL+L (the yellow line appears), press apply and then you're GPU will lock to that frequency.

Bingo. Thank you! I must have accidentally pressed CTRL+L. It would have been nice if that voltage lock was also made visible in the main window.

18 minutes ago, purplechipotle said:

It would have been nice if that voltage lock was also made visible in the main window.

It would be even nicer of this was explained in Afterburner documentation.

Got my info from this guide: https://forums.evga.com/Guide-How-to-force-max-voltage-amp-curve-overclock-with-msi-afterburner-m2820280.aspx

The base and boost clock arrows are fairly simple too. They change whenever you overclock your GPU and show the new base and boost clock of your GPU (although they don't seem to be that accurate). The maximum boost clock (in your case 1995MHz) is dependant on a number of factors such as power target, voltage and temperatures. The lower your temperatures, the more power you've got and the more voltage you give your GPU = more clock (that's the general idea anyway).

If you want to view the base and boost clock use a tool such as GPU-Z. The sensors tab will indicate a the current GPU clock as well as a variety of things as well. My screenshot shows the sensors reported under GPU-Z and my afterburner window:

https://i.gyazo.com/c677bd817b4f38ae3d6710ef3ea030f7.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III