Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
King Spartan

Cat 6 or Cat 7?

3 hours ago, King Spartan said:

That is CCA cable, I would avoid that at EVERY step along the way.

CCA cable is brittle as heck and is NOT within spec for any category of cable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Lurick said:

That is CCA cable, I would avoid that at EVERY step along the way.

CCA cable is brittle as heck and is NOT within spec for any category of cable.

can you recommend any cables on amazon 

Posted · Best Answer

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Both of those are rated for outdoor use so you'll have to deal with the grease inside the cables which is going to make things messy but if you wanted to then the VIVO, in this case, seems to be pure copper as well.

so if you were me what would you get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D53VNKZ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2NFTNJT88MXC2&psc=1 or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C848GTK?pf_rd_p=0341f622-1508-4712-8614-4588a55d8cf4&pf_rd_r=6QV7PP85AK76YFV5JN57&pd_rd_wg=CyetI&pd_rd_i=B01JAVL5OE&pd_rd_w=DT5jG&pd_rd_r=5b9336de-6386-49e3-96bc-7b291572081e&ref_=pd_luc_rh_ci_mcx_mr_huc_d_02_02_t_img_lh&th=1 i want to have this for the next few years and use it. i also want to make some cables for me and family?

2 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

The cat5e will be perfect unless you want 10Gbit everywhere. Cat5e will also do 2.5Gbit as well :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

The cat5e will be perfect unless you want 10Gbit everywhere. Cat5e will also do 2.5Gbit as well :)

thanks for all the help. one last thing in my house i connect alot of things via lan or im going to be connecting a lot of things via lan and some i need to have really long cabling for do you think it is better for me to get a 500ft cable like the one you sent and have it last me years or just buy them separately. because i have made some lan cables before  

Just now, King Spartan said:

thanks for all the help. one last thing in my house i connect alot of things via lan or im going to be connecting a lot of things via lan and some i need to have really long cabling for do you think it is better for me to get a 500ft cable like the one you sent and have it last me years or just buy them separately. because i have made some lan cables before  

If you have the tools definitely make the cables as needed :)

I would say buy in bulk and make them as you need.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Technically , CAT 6 supports 10 Gigabit Ethernet if the cable length is shorter than 55 meters or 180 feet. ( Cat 6-A does upto 100 meters ) 

So if you aren't using anything longer than that in a single stretch, you can save yourself some money depending upon, how long you intend to use it. 

As from your intended use of over next 3-5 years or maybe 7 years, go with Cat 6 , because for 10-Gbe connection, you will need a high end router  if for internet, or a good port switch for local transfers. You need atleast 2 computers supporting 10Gbe , and so much big files that you will be transferring at that speed, and that too equipped with Good SSDs

If you are planning for like 20 years of use, then it is okay for Cat-7

You can save the 60$ on that cable tester and put them on actual cable.

Crimping connectors on cable is fairly easy, and if the cable doesn't work you can just cut the jack and install another, they're cheap.

A 5$ digital multimeter on continuity mode will do the same job (put a probe on one connector pin, the other probe on the other jack's pin ... if you hear a beep on that pin and no beeps on the other pins, you're fine)

Or if you absolutely must have a cable tester, this 10$ one will do the same job : https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Network-Cable-Tester-Phone/dp/B01M63EMBQ/

The connectors you linked to are for SOLID CORE wires, the pins inside the connectors won't work well with STRANDED cable (where wires are made out of a bunch of very thin copper strands).

The truecable someone else linked are solid core, and will work fine with those connectors.

Also ... if you plan to install sockets in your house, you probably want a punch down tool , for example : TRENDnet Punch Down Tool with 110 and Krone Blade, TC-PDT, Insert & Cut Terminations in one Operation, Precision Blades are Interchangeable & Reversible, Network Punch Tool, 110 Punch Down Tool, white - Hand Tool Punches - Amazon.com

A cheaper model is this one, and it may work just fine : WESTONETEK Punch Down Impact Tool with 110 and 66 Blades, Network Wire Cable Cat6/Cat5e Telephone Impact Terminal Insertion Tools - - Amazon.com

Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade - - Amazon.com

You need a punch down tool if you're gonna install sockets with keystone connectors, like these for example : https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-20-Pack-Keystone-Module-Connector/dp/B01FHBZF7E/

The connection is much better than what you get by crimping the wires in a plug, better for long term.

17 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can save the 60$ on that cable tester and put them on actual cable.

Crimping connectors on cable is fairly easy, and if the cable doesn't work you can just cut the jack and install another, they're cheap.

A 5$ digital multimeter on continuity mode will do the same job (put a probe on one connector pin, the other probe on the other jack's pin ... if you hear a beep on that pin and no beeps on the other pins, you're fine)

Or if you absolutely must have a cable tester, this 10$ one will do the same job : https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Network-Cable-Tester-Phone/dp/B01M63EMBQ/

The connectors you linked to are for SOLID CORE wires, the pins inside the connectors won't work well with STRANDED cable (where wires are made out of a bunch of very thin copper strands).

The truecable someone else linked are solid core, and will work fine with those connectors.

Also ... if you plan to install sockets in your house, you probably want a punch down tool , for example : TRENDnet Punch Down Tool with 110 and Krone Blade, TC-PDT, Insert & Cut Terminations in one Operation, Precision Blades are Interchangeable & Reversible, Network Punch Tool, 110 Punch Down Tool, white - Hand Tool Punches - Amazon.com

A cheaper model is this one, and it may work just fine : WESTONETEK Punch Down Impact Tool with 110 and 66 Blades, Network Wire Cable Cat6/Cat5e Telephone Impact Terminal Insertion Tools - - Amazon.com

Cable Matters 110 Punch Down Tool with 110 Blade - - Amazon.com

You need a punch down tool if you're gonna install sockets with keystone connectors, like these for example : https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-20-Pack-Keystone-Module-Connector/dp/B01FHBZF7E/

The connection is much better than what you get by crimping the wires in a plug, better for long term.

is this any good? https://www.microcenter.com/product/506584/Cat_7_Bulk_Network_Cable_500_ft_-_Gray

30 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

After all the advice you're still ignoring us and chasing CHEAP. 

Also, is it too hard to read the description and notes?

NO, it's probably not good cable for you, for others maybe.

It's AWG26 which means THIN wires (standard is AWG23 or AWG24) and it's STRANDED wires, not solid core, which means you need connectors optimized for STRANDED cable (those gold teeth that go into the wires are different for stranded plugs) 

You may actually need Cat7 plugs/connectors with smaller diameter channels for each wire, so that those teeth would make strong connection with the wires. 

It also doesn't say anywhere if it's CCA cable or not, but considering the price for how thin the wires are, it's probably copper. 

Stick to regular cat6 or cat6a , solid core wires and NOT CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum wires. 

Just now, mariushm said:

After all the advice you're still ignoring us and chasing CHEAP. 

Also, is it too hard to read the description and notes?

NO, it's probably not good cable for you, for others maybe.

It's AWG26 which means THIN wires (standard is AWG23 or AWG24) and it's STRANDED wires, not solid core, which means you need connectors optimized for STRANDED cable (those gold teeth that go into the wires are different for stranded plugs) 

You may actually need Cat7 plugs/connectors with smaller diameter channels for each wire, so that those teeth would make strong connection with the wires. 

It also doesn't say anywhere if it's CCA cable or not, but considering the price for how thin the wires are, it's probably copper. 

Stick to regular cat6 or cat6a , solid core wires and NOT CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum wires. 

no im not i have the true cable in my cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CMXQNF/ref=emc_b_5_i 

On 9/21/2020 at 7:14 AM, Lurick said:

Both of those are rated for outdoor use so you'll have to deal with the grease inside the cables which is going to make things messy but if you wanted to then the VIVO, in this case, seems to be pure copper as well.

No grease in ours.  It's just a waterproof and UV resistant sheath. :)

If the connector is outdoors, all you'll have to do is make sure to seal it so water can't get into the connector.

10 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

No grease in ours.  It's just a waterproof and UV resistant sheath. :)

If the connector is outdoors, all you'll have to do is make sure to seal it so water can't get into the connector.

Good to know :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: