Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
King Spartan

Cat 6 or Cat 7?

Posted · Original PosterOP

so im buying 500ft of cable i dont know if i should get cat 6 or 7. this will be mainly to connect everything in my house. i know that 7 is better than 6 but do you think that cat 7 will be really needed in the next 3-5 years. what i mean is do you think internet speed will become 2000 and up in the next few years? i know that in some places that type of internet is available but when will it be available and costs lower like 1000 is right now.

2 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

what i mean is do you think internet speed will become 2000 and up in the next few years?

There are approximately a billion threads here about various Cat-levels and....Cat5e is already fine for up to 2.5Gbps! You don't need either Cat6 or Cat7 for that. Cat6a is fine all the way up to 10Gbps! No, there is absolutely zero reason, whatsoever, to assume that Cat7 will actually provide anything you can't get with Cat6a in a home-setting for at least a decade.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would go with CAT6a, it can do 10Gbps up to 100m, while CAT6 can only do 10Gbps up to around half that distance. CAT7 as far as I remember is stiffer/harder to bend and is harder to terminate, and in my opinion is not worth the extra cost. 

I have 1 cat and it's already a headache, you want 6 or 7?!

Only you can answer that question since you know your needs better.

I recently downgraded my internet plan from 300 to 30 since I don't need the speed.

Will gigabit be enough for the next 3-5 years? I would be surprised if the average user needs 100Mbit, other than when downloading games for 5 minutes or smth.

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I would go with CAT6a, it can do 10Gbps up to 100m, while CAT6 can only do 10Gbps up to around half that distance. CAT7 as far as I remember is stiffer/harder to bend and is harder to terminate, and in my opinion is not worth the extra cost. 

the reason i said cat 6 is because cat 6a cost way more than cat 6

Just now, King Spartan said:

I'm not sure why you are considering cat 7 over cat 6 then, if cost is a concern for you go with cat 6. 

1 minute ago, King Spartan said:

You may as well just get cat5e then. I really doubt you'll ever be using the speed the max speed that cable even gives.

17 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

so im buying 500ft of cable i dont know if i should get cat 6 or 7. this will be mainly to connect everything in my house. i know that 7 is better than 6 but do you think that cat 7 will be really needed in the next 3-5 years. what i mean is do you think internet speed will become 2000 and up in the next few years? i know that in some places that type of internet is available but when will it be available and costs lower like 1000 is right now.

Oh god.  They’re up to 7.  I haven’t even heard of 7.  As a poor schnook  who installed cat5e because it was the new hotness I suggest installing flexible NM tubing, “smurf tube” and running whatever in that.  Then at least when (not if, when) the cable you installed becomes obsolete you can replace it with new stuff with minimal effort.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

doesn't cat 6 go for 100m 

If I remember correctly it will do 1Gbps up to 100m, if you want to do 10Gbps though that is only up to 55m.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh god.  They’re up to 7.  I haven’t even heard of 7.  As a poor schook who installed cat5e because it was the new hotness I suggest installing flexible NM tubing, “smurf tube” and running whatever in that.  Then at least when (not if, when) the cable you installed becomes obsolete you can replace it with new stuff with minimal effort.

its up to 8 

3 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

its up to 8 

This might even be true.  It wouldn’t surprise me.  It had to be 1 at one time.  I wonder if that was vampire taps?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This might even be true.  It wouldn’t surprise me.  It had to be 1 at one time.

Category Standard Bandwidth Max Data Rate Shielding
Cat5e 100MHz (up to 350) 1000Mbps UTP or STP
Cat6 250MHz (up to 550) 1000Mbps UTP or STP
Cat6A 500MHz (up to 550) 10Gbps UTP or STP
Cat7 600MHz 10Gbps Shielded only
Cat8 2000MHz 25Gbps or 40Gbps Shielded only

surprised no one has suggested sfp+

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

I hadn't looked for cabling in a while so I don't know how good the price is, just keep in mind that is cat 5e so you won't be able to do 10Gbps at any distance, and that cabling is copper coated aluminum, it isn't as solid copper but unless you are going to be doing 100m runs, it probably won't matter too much. 

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

I hadn't looked for cabling in a while so I don't know how good the price is, just keep in mind that is cat 5e so you won't be able to do 10Gbps at any distance, and that cabling is copper coated aluminum, it isn't as solid copper but unless you are going to be doing 100m runs, it probably won't matter too much. 

sorry this is the cat 6 

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

surprised no one has suggested sfp+

Because OP wants to connect the whole house and SFP+ is only rated up to 10m while ethernet is up to 100m, is stiffer/harder to bend, and some other reasons I can' think of right now. 

Cat6 is enough, it's good for 10gbps up to around 55 meters.  

Cat6a is good for 10gbps up to the 100m the ethernet standard is designed for. 

@King Spartan don't buy the cheapest cable out there. pay attention to the type of cable you buy, if you need long runs of cable (let's say more than 15 meters runs, try not to buy CCA cable. 

CCA is short for Copper Clad Aluminum. Basically, instead of using full copper wire, they're plating a thin layer of copper around an aluminum core wire, which results in cheaper ethernet cable, but which has higher wire resistance which can cause issues with some network cards over long distances. It's fine with 5-15 meter patch cords, but not good for long distances.

Some network cards are shipped by default with "green" features, where they have an option in the settings enabled by default which makes the card reduce transmission power to save a few hundreds of a watt, but with these higher resistance wires the device at the other end can have difficulty docoding the weaker signals and then you get random hiccups, fluctuations in speed, temporary downgrades to 100 mbps etc etc 

If you can see the cable before buying, simply scratch the surface of a wire inside the ethernet cable to see if the copper comes off. 

The one you linked to is CCA, again, for short runs of 15-20 meters it would be fine, but if you need longer lengths just don't. 

Also for short lengths, it can be cheaper to just buy ready made cables with connectors factory crimped.

Also... the cheapest won't be suitable for exterior use, or where they may subjected to big variations in temperature (like for example down a hallway that's not heated in the winters for example) ... the cheapest will have thin sleeve that may crack / break with temperature cycling. 

Expect at least 100-150$ for proper Cat6 or better cable, suitable for long runs.

For example:

56$ for 500ft , 110$ for 1000ft for the cheapest ones: https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/bulk-networking-cables/cat6-bulk-ethernet-cables

160$-185$  https://www.fs.com/de-en/c/cat6-bulk-cables-1133 or 

150$ https://www.primuscable.com/collections/cat6-ethernet-cable

29 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Because OP wants to connect the whole house and SFP+ is only rated up to 10m while ethernet is up to 100m, is stiffer/harder to bend, and some other reasons I can' think of right now. 

SFP+ is just the connector, you can use DAC cables that go up to 10-15 meters, or you can use a pair of 10-30$ transceivers + plain fiber up to 2500m - 10km, depending on fiber and transmission power and devices. There's also transceivers which convert rj45 to sfp+ so you can use cat6/cat6a patch cords/cables between two sfp+ devices, but only up to around 30 meters.

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

SFP+ is just the connector, you can use DAC cables that go up to 10-15 meters, or you can use a pair of 10-30$ transceivers + plain fiber up to 2500m - 10km, depending on fiber and transmission power and devices. There's also transceivers which convert rj45 to sfp+ so you can use cat6/cat6a patch cords/cables between two sfp+ devices, but only up to around 30 meters.

Yeah I just finished a long shift, in my brain SFP+ equaled DAC. I still don’t think it’s a good idea though, if OP is hesitant to buy Cat6a over Cat6 because if the price, something tells me they aren’t going to want to buy fiber, transceivers, and switches with a lot of SFP+ ports.

35 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Cat6 is enough, it's good for 10gbps up to around 55 meters.  

Cat6a is good for 10gbps up to the 100m the ethernet standard is designed for. 

@King Spartan don't buy the cheapest cable out there. pay attention to the type of cable you buy, if you need long runs of cable (let's say more than 15 meters runs, try not to buy CCA cable. 

CCA is short for Copper Clad Aluminum. Basically, instead of using full copper wire, they're plating a thin layer of copper around an aluminum core wire, which results in cheaper ethernet cable, but which has higher wire resistance which can cause issues with some network cards over long distances. It's fine with 5-15 meter patch cords, but not good for long distances.

Some network cards are shipped by default with "green" features, where they have an option in the settings enabled by default which makes the card reduce transmission power to save a few hundreds of a watt, but with these higher resistance wires the device at the other end can have difficulty docoding the weaker signals and then you get random hiccups, fluctuations in speed, temporary downgrades to 100 mbps etc etc 

If you can see the cable before buying, simply scratch the surface of a wire inside the ethernet cable to see if the copper comes off. 

The one you linked to is CCA, again, for short runs of 15-20 meters it would be fine, but if you need longer lengths just don't. 

Also for short lengths, it can be cheaper to just buy ready made cables with connectors factory crimped.

Also... the cheapest won't be suitable for exterior use, or where they may subjected to big variations in temperature (like for example down a hallway that's not heated in the winters for example) ... the cheapest will have thin sleeve that may crack / break with temperature cycling. 

Expect at least 100-150$ for proper Cat6 or better cable, suitable for long runs.

For example:

56$ for 500ft , 110$ for 1000ft for the cheapest ones: https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/bulk-networking-cables/cat6-bulk-ethernet-cables

160$-185$  https://www.fs.com/de-en/c/cat6-bulk-cables-1133 or 

150$ https://www.primuscable.com/collections/cat6-ethernet-cable

so if where to go with 5e this would be good https://www.amazon.com/SolidLink-1000ft-Premium-Ethernet-Network/dp/B019POIH2E/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Monoprice+Cat5e&qid=1600674970&sr=8-5 ?