Advice on weather to upgrade

Fall-Out

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly Squad and other similar games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi All, 

I have been racking my brain as to weather I need to upgrade my rig or just the GPU. My goal is to get better FPS while gaming. At the moment I'm getting between 60-120FPS on my Acer Predator X34. My CPU runs at 4.8 GHz. 

Do I really need a new MOBO and CPU? 

Thanks heaps for the input.

Existing parts:

Motherboard Name    Asus Z170-Deluxe  (4 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 1 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video, Dual Gigabit LAN, WiFi)

CPU Type    QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700K, 4800 MHz (48 x 100)

DIMM1: G Skill TridentZ  32 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 SDRAM  (16-18-18-38 @ 1600 MHz)

Video Adapter    GeForce GTX 1080  (8 GB)

Monitor    Acer Predator X34 (DP)  [34" IPS LCD]  (#ASMLeULjO7/d)

Disk Drive    Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB  (512 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)

From what I see you only really need to upgrade you cpu and motherboard (maybe GPU). Depending on you budget you can upgrade to a 10700k and a Z490 mobo or if you want to go AMD you can go for a 3800x and a x570 motherboard. 

You should know whether you need to upgrade your build. If it meets your needs, there's no reason to upgrade yet.  But if performance is degrading and it doesn't meet your expectation then you probably want an upgrade. If you want to upgrade the CPU you can't go much further than a 7700K, and that isn't much of an upgrade to your 6700K since the 7700K is at most a slightly better binned 6700K with slightly increased stock clocks, so you'll basically need to change the motherboard as well if you want to upgrade your CPU past a 7700K.

1 hour ago, hni_7 said:

As far as I can see, your CPU is powerful enough to upgrade to a more powerful GPU without being bottlenecked, something like a RTX 3080 will be great. For now just upgrade your GPU.

Thanks mate, thats what I was thinking. I know my CPU only has 4 cores although It has a very good clock speed.