California judge blocks US ban of WeChat, letting people WeChat another day

Delicieuxz

US judge blocks Trump’s WeChat ban, halting removal of app from stores

A California judge on Sunday blocked the US Department of Commerce from enforcing President Donald Trump’s executive order that requires the Chinese messenger WeChat to be removed from app stores in the US.

However, hours before the ban was set to come into effect, US Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler of the Northern California District Court issued an injunction on Sunday blocking the removal, saying that the move raised "serious questions" about free speech.

The lawsuit was brought by a group of WeChat users, who argued that there is no alternative app for Chinese Americans to use to communicate. They also claimed that, without updates from the Android and Apple app stores, WeChat would be essentially unusable.

"The United States has never shut down a major platform for communications, not even during war times,” a lawyer for the users said. “There are serious First Amendment problems with the WeChat ban, which targets the Chinese American community."

Trump’s WeChat Curbs Halted by Judge on Free Speech Concerns

WeChat “serves as a virtual public square for the Chinese-speaking and Chinese-American community in the United States and is (as a practical matter) their only means of communication,” the judge wrote in the ruling, dated Saturday and released early Sunday. Effectively banning it “forecloses meaningful access to communication in their community and thereby operates as a prior restraint on their right to free speech.”

The judge found the government provided insufficient evidence of a security threat. “Certainly the government’s overarching national-security interest is significant,” she wrote. “But on this record -- while the government has established that China’s activities raise significant national security concerns -- it has put in scant little evidence that its effective ban of WeChat for all U.S. users addresses those concerns.”

The Department of Justice and Commerce Department didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. The government is likely to appeal the ruling.

The ruling will probably survive if it’s appealed to the Ninth Circuit, said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond.

Like TikTok, WeChat has narrowly avoided a ban in the US - but by different means. The more Chinese stuff that isn't banned on unsubstantiated grounds, the better, says I.

I wonder if the free-speech legal argument could have worked for TikTok, so that they wouldn't have had to partner with US companies to remain in operation in the US.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Is it really that big of a deal? Like does anyone use WeChat outside of China?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, people who need to communicate with Chinese relatives/friends/business partners.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I dont know what WeChat is and since its mentioned with TikTok, i dont wanna know what it is.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

From the second article in the OP:

"The app, which was supposed to disappear from U.S. app stores on Sunday, has 19 million regular users in the U.S. and 1 billion worldwide."

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

From the second article in the OP:

"The app, which was supposed to disappear from U.S. app stores on Sunday, has 19 million regular users in the U.S. and 1 billion worldwide."

Even if they ban it in the US,people on Android can still download the app from a third party non US store...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, Praesi said:

I dont know what WeChat is and since its mentioned with TikTok, i dont wanna know what it is.

I'll tell you anyways! it's like discord, fb, dating app, google pay and tons of other stuff in 1 app (and ironically often used to get in contact with outsiders and other stuff the Chinese government doesn't exactly approve)

it's really well made and easy to use, I only used it for a week or so to get some Chinese mods, it was overall a very pleasant experience...

can totally see many people chinese or not using it.

(I'd give it a 9/10)

you can also shake your phone and get suggestions for "dates"  it's really funny hahaha

¯\_༼ •́ ͜ʖ •̀ ༽_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

US judge blocks Trump’s WeChat ban, halting removal of app from stores

Trump’s WeChat Curbs Halted by Judge on Free Speech Concerns

Like TikTok, WeChat has narrowly-avoided a ban in the US - but by different means. The more Chinese stuff that isn't banned on unsubstantiated grounds, the better, says I.

I wonder if the free-speech legal argument could have worked for TikTok, so that they wouldn't have had to partner with US companies to remain in operation in the US.

It's unlikely that WeChat is that much of a security issue unless there is actual proof, and really the better way to go about it would be to mandate the use of specific text messaging/chat programs on government/enterprise devices, and block unsanctioned tools from communicating on the WAN.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's been used to as a platform for underground Ubers and trading. I wouldn't be surprised if it was used to help sell Vancouver real estate to offshore buyers in China. Many of foreign property owners have never stepped foot into their properties or have personally inspected them. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

53 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'll tell you anyways! it's like discord, fb, dating app, google pay and tons of other stuff in 1 app (and ironically often used to get in contact with outsiders and other stuff the Chinese government doesn't exactly approve)

it's really well made and easy to use, I only used it for a week or so to get some Chinese mods, it was overall a very pleasant experience...

can totally see many people chinese or not using it.

(I'd give it a 9/10)

you can also shake your phone and get suggestions for "dates"  it's really funny hahaha

¯\_༼ •́ ͜ʖ •̀ ༽_/¯

Ya thx. Not my cup of tea. And since when does the Chinese have such an impact on us? Every Day i read Chinese here Chinese there. I dont give a fuck about Chinese, what they want or what they like. Movies try to apply to them, Games try to apply to them..wtf.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Actually yes lol, even people like me who were born in America and know literally nobody in China use it, since the cell service is so awful in my area my friend who is Chinese uses it to text/call me, despite living only a few streets away.

oh you dont even know.

you dont even know.

as someone who uses wechat, EVERY SINGLE FAMILY I KNOW has wechat

if wechat was to disappear, how is my family to contact other family in china?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I initially throught it was a platform to encrypt data and send messages from foreign countries back to China.

But it appears that China has firewalled all the other chat programs except this one so anyone from China who moves to AU, USA can only talk to their family or friends in China on Wechat.

The data being sent back to China is likely being read by CCP which is more than likely why its being blocked.

But again all we are hearing is its being blocked, none of the claims of why? what do they know, tell the people ?

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Wechat and Tiktok are definitely security risks at least in regards to national security for the United States.  Wechat at least is known to be a pretty big app in China and sends a lot of data to the CCP.  

I think, however, that banning the apps isn't the answer.   The truth is, the United States conducts similar operations with Facebook and Google.  No doubt China also conducts proper nation-sponsored attacks just like the United States does. 

The US should keep an eye on TikTok and pay attention to any CCP propaganda, and run regular in-depth audits of the app (perhaps yearly?).  The US should avoid being like China, and censoring anything that is potentially harmful to views of the state.  

People who want to download those apps should understand that it contains Chinese Spyware and should be advised of this fact.  If they continue to use the app, it is their problem. 

My opinion is that:

The US must enforce very strict rules for anyone who works for the government and should ban anyone from using these apps if they work for the government, or on any device that will, at any time, be connected to the same network as a government work device.  

The US should also work with companies and any companies are used, sponsored or affiliated with the US government in any way should have it in their work agreement that apps that are known to by Chinese Spyware are not to be used by any means on the same network as a government work device. 

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Sarcasm is hard to convey in prose.  I once saw it suggested that all sarcasm should be marked using green type, but there was some sort of problem or other with that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Akolyte said:

Wechat and Tiktok are definitely security risks at least in regards to national security for the United States.  Wechat at least is known to be a pretty big app in China and sends a lot of data to the CCP.  

I think, however, that banning the apps isn't the answer.   The truth is, the United States conducts similar operations with Facebook and Google.  No doubt China also conducts proper nation-sponsored attacks just like the United States does. 

The US should keep an eye on TikTok and pay attention to any CCP propaganda, and run regular in-depth audits of the app (perhaps yearly?).  The US should avoid being like China, and censoring anything that is potentially harmful to views of the state.  

People who want to download those apps should understand that it contains Chinese Spyware and should be advised of this fact.  If they continue to use the app, it is their problem. 

My opinion is that:

The US must enforce very strict rules for anyone who works for the government and should ban anyone from using these apps if they work for the government, or on any device that will, at any time, be connected to the same network as a government work device.  

The US should also work with companies and any companies are used, sponsored or affiliated with the US government in any way should have it in their work agreement that apps that are known to by Chinese Spyware are not to be used by any means on the same network as a government work device. 

I would substitute “potential” for “definite” since one doesn’t seem to have been found. Doesnt really alter the point though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think we should just have the thousands of friends and family and business partners in the US that rely on WeChat to communicate with people in China stop communicating with each other altogether. In fact, since the CCP probably also monitor phone calls to and from China, might as well have the US government stop phone calls to China too /s.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

It's unlikely that WeChat is that much of a security issue unless there is actual proof...

And you won't get that proof. But I will say this; WeChat works because the Chinese Government allows it. Let that sink in for a moment.

4 hours ago, Car712 said:

Actually yes lol, even people like me who were born in America and know literally nobody in China use it, since the cell service is so awful in my area my friend who is Chinese uses it to text/call me, despite living only a few streets away.

It's momentum and degrees of separation. 

You use it because your friends use it, because they keep in touch with family overseas....etc.

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

And you won't get that proof. But I will say this; WeChat works because the Chinese Government allows it. Let that sink in for a moment.

In much the same way that we chat works because this judge allows it? Or differently?  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

In much the same way that we chat works because this judge allows it? Or differently?  

I mean, China is moving towards a method of IP white-listing where the ministry of culture ostensibly has dominion over the process. Zoom and Skype were allowed because of weak or no encryption. WeChat only works because either the encryption is weak, or they have an escrowed key to access what traverses through the network and/or "great firewall of china"

2 hours ago, Akolyte said:

-snip- 

Ummmmmm........ WOW. 

1.) This is a very political statement, and as politics are not allowed in the fourm, I will not comment on it.

2.) There is absolutely no proof that either of these apps are a sucurity risk.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

I mean, China is moving towards a method of IP white-listing where the ministry of culture ostensibly has dominion over the process. Zoom and Skype were allowed because of weak or no encryption. WeChat only works because either the encryption is weak, or they have an escrowed key to access what traverses through the network and/or "great firewall of china"

So the comment is effectively that wechat encryption is effectively useless.  There are lots of apps with this problem.  

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So the comment is effectively that wechat encryption is effectively useless.  There are lots of apps with this problem.  

My only assertion is that WeChat still works because it's allowed to work. And the criteria is typically that the Government have access either knowingly or unknowingly.

Do I have proof that WeChat is compromised to that degree? No. But I certainty wouldn't be using it. In fact, I'd strongly advocate it blocked by all CIOs in corporate America. Though you can't stop cell phone use of it which is where it's used. But you can block it at the WiFi if going through corporate firewall.