Issue with random restarts in new PC build

DoubleRed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MB: MSI B550M PRO-VHD Wifi
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
SSD: Corsair Force MP510 240GB (Windows is installed on this)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: EVGA BQ 500W
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 960 (secondhand)

Issues started after first boot when the computer was restarting on its own before I could start Windows install from a flash drive but I got it working after changing the BIOS mode to UEFI. After this the installation went off without a hitch and I was able to use the computer, install programs, copy over files etc for 12 hours before it randomly restarted on me when I was changing keyboard shortcuts in opencanvas. Since then it'll restart anywhere from a couple moments after the Windows logon screen comes up to like 10 minutes after starting up.

There's no integrated graphics but I tried running the computer with the GPU removed for a while to see if it'd be ok. It doesn't make any obvious noise when restarting and the fans don't even stop so the plan was to check the event logs from the time I had the computer on with the GPU out. There was nothing logged in the event viewer during that time once I checked though, like the computer had just been turned off the whole time. (I did turn off Windows account password so it wouldn't require any input).

I've triple checked all connections, everything's definitely secure. I attempted to restart the PC multiple times, but the issues persisted. The fans are running fine, the computer is plugged directly into the wall, the tower has a lot of space around it for ventilation and isn't on the floor. I've tried running it with just one RAM stick, and then with the other, both times restarting persisted and the RAM came back fine after memory testing.

I tried replacing the GPU (MSI GTX 1650 Super), computer worked for about an hour before it started restarting. Unhooked the HDD, restarting persisted. Unhooked SSD and attempted to install Windows on HDD, restarting persisted before install could get started (BIOS mode is still UEFI). Updating the BIOS didn't resolve the issue.

Right now I'm in the process of trying to replace the power supply to see if that fixes the issue, but I was wondering if anyone had any input on the problems I've been having and if I may have missed something.

Can you check what version of BIOS/Uefi you have on your motherboard at the moment (best would be equal or abowe 7C95v20) and check temperatures in bios of your CPU.

• 2 months later...