Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genericplane

Replacement for Razer Kraken 7.1s

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My Kraken 7.1s are beyond the grave at this point and i'm wondering what y'all would recommend to replace them? i tried the Kitty Edition ones and the sound quality was awful, as was the microphone, and while it could have been a lemon the lack of gold plating on the usb and thinner cable makes me think they're simply of lesser quality than they used to be... Any suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should drift away from these usb "gaming" headsets. You could get a pair of studio headphones that are actually good.

I use the DT 990 pros 250 ohm which are open back. But they require an amp to get the most out of them. The DT 770 pros (80ohm) are closed back but have pretty good soundstage for closed back. The imaging is perfect for gaming as well. Pair this headphone with a modmic 4 uni and you are golden. There are other options out there but I just love beyers build quality and sound signature.


PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Tigerleon said:

You should drift away from these usb "gaming" headsets. You could get a pair of studio headphones that are actually good.

I use the DT 990 pros 250 ohm which are open back. But they require an amp to get the most out of them. The DT 770 pros (80ohm) are closed back but have pretty good soundstage for closed back. The imaging is perfect for gaming as well. Pair this headphone with a modmic 4 uni and you are golden. There are other options out there but I just love beyers build quality and sound signature.

how much does your total audio setup cost?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Genericplane said:

how much does your total audio setup cost?

My sound blaster AE-9 is pretty overkill. It is around 300 dollars. The DT 990's are 130 dollars ish. And I have a cheap XLR mic paired with my AE-9.


PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the sound blaster G6 instead. Similar performance just 100 dollars


PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

In total that's coming in at around 250-300$ depending on the microphone, and while it sounds like a killer audio setup, it might be a bit overkill for my needs, i think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Genericplane said:

In total that's coming in at around 250-300$ depending on the microphone, and while it sounds like a killer audio setup, it might be a bit overkill for my needs, i think.

I forgot to mention. The beyerdynamic tygrs are open back and are 32 ohm which are easily drivable without an amp. That with the modmic 4 uni is really good.


PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/Straight cable and Dekoni Elite Velour Pads 

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I forgot to mention. The beyerdynamic tygrs are open back and are 32 ohm which are easily drivable without an amp. That with the modmic 4 uni is really good.

that comes in at a reasonable 200$ or so, much more enticing. how good are they at blocking out/ overpowering background noise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Genericplane said:

that comes in at a reasonable 200$ or so, much more enticing. how good are they at blocking out/ overpowering background noise?

You can also get the samson sr850 headphones they are really really good headphone and at a wonderfull price. They sound like headphones many times the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×