Strix z490e adaptive Vcore issue/not working

jasonc_01

Hey ppls.

So I'm have a strange issue while dialing in my permanent OC settings.

I picked up an Asus ROG Strix z490e yesterday with a 10850k I got Friday. Chip is not stellar by any means SP is only 75, will probably exchange it for another lottery pick today.

Onto the issue. I have my OC stable at 5.1ghz, manual voltage is 1.45v using LLC 5. So vdroop is around 1.4v +/- .05v and temps are mid 80s with one hour of realbench and 70s with xtu.

With those numbers I decided to leave it and go setup adaptive Vcore to let the chip idle down instead of giving it 1.45v 24/7. I enabled adaptive Vcore and set additional turbo voltage to 1.45v, offset left auto. Save and boot to Windows and it's running 1.6v at idle. Back in bios I set additional Vcore to auto, same thing. I tried setting negative offset, no difference. 

No matter what I changed in the adaptive Vcore settings when I booted back to Windows it showed 1.6v on Vcore +/- .05. Is this a bios issue or an I'm an idiot issue? 

Bios is version 0607 which I update to yesterday when the board first booted.

Edit: not my first rodeo either, I did not have an issue with this on z270 or z390.

20200920_113245.jpg

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

Have mercy. Please 🥺🥺🥺

😁😁😁😁😁

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

Stop using adaptive voltage.

Just leave the v-core on auto up to 5.1ghz and check it's stability.

BTW, 1.45v is steep at 5.1ghz. Maybe 1.410v or less. At 5ghz even, 1.35v give or take.

The cooler it runs, the less it'll leak voltage and the less v-core you'll need to use ;)

Hope this helps.

11 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Stop using adaptive voltage.

Just leave the v-core on auto up to 5.1ghz and check it's stability.

BTW, 1.45v is steep at 5.1ghz. Maybe 1.410v or less. At 5ghz even, 1.35v give or take.

The cooler it runs, the less it'll leak voltage and the less v-core you'll need to use ;)

Hope this helps.

Pffft auto voltage.... Probably my only option seeing as adaptive straight up doesn't work. Kinda takes the fun out of it, do I even need to bother setting LLC? Seems like cheating.

This is funny the 0607 bios update I did was with Armory crate or ez update, both not great and I usually delete them promptly. Well on Asus's website the latest bios was 0707, so I got that one and installed it.

The cpu prediction sp rating went from a 75 to an 85, and from recommending 1.48v at LLC 5 to 1.399v at LLC 5.

I can't believe I just downloaded performance. Would blue screen immediately with 1.4v LLC 5 and now it's completely stable. 

Bios 0707 is a banger.

4 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Pffft auto voltage.... Probably my only option seeing as adaptive straight up doesn't work. Kinda takes the fun out of it, do I even need to bother setting LLC? Seems like cheating.

This is funny the 0607 bios update I did was with Armory crate or ez update, both not great and I usually delete them promptly. Well on Asus's website the latest bios was 0707, so I got that one and installed it.

The cpu prediction sp rating went from a 75 to an 85, and from recommending 1.48v at LLC 5 to 1.399v at LLC 5.

I can't believe I just downloaded performance. Would blue screen immediately with 1.4v LLC 5 and now it's completely stable. 

Bios 0707 is a banger.

Yeah that bios revision can make a world of difference.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah that bios revision can make a world of difference.

So any particular reason adaptive Vcore is broken this gen?

59 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

So any particular reason adaptive Vcore is broken this gen?

Not sure broken suits.... 

It really does over compensate though.