How does gmail make money

drazurd

I see no ads on gmail, So how does google make dough off of it?

1. Gmail is part of Google, so they aren't out of money.
  2. Gmail is part of Gsuite, which is a paid solution for companies. Outlook doesn't have ads either but has a paid version.
  3. I believe there are also paid features on Gmail.
  4. There are ads!

Google scan your emails for keywords and give you ads whenever you use your google account. YT for example.

Adblock is your friend. And no, i doubt there is a single email provider who doesnt scan your mails. Its pathetic i know. But what choice do we have.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Google reads your gmail and delivers targeted ads based off of it.  Google doesn't make money providing services to you they make money gathering information about you through the services you use that they provide.  They then sell access to you (through ads) to their actual customers.  That's how social media also makes its money.  You aren't the customer -- you're the product.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

wait so how do they make money off google meet and classroom then

Most of google services don't make money by themselves, their main purpose is to keep you on their ecosystem (Gmail, Google Youtube, Chrome, Google Keep, Docs, etc).

They make money by using your data to sell ads, and they can only get your data as long as you are on their ecosystem, and the more dependent you are the more data you generate.

Just now, drazurd said:

wait so how do they make money off google meet and classroom then

G suite for education, not to mention the other types of G suite.

You are thinking of Google in terms of it being something Google is selling to us, but that is not the case.

When you use Google's "free" services, YOU are what's being sold to very deep pocketed companies.

Wikipedia and Google are like comparing Apples to ducks lol.

Wikipedia is generally supported through its user base and donors.

35 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Google scan your emails for keywords and give you ads whenever you use your google account. YT for example.

Adblock is your friend. And no, i doubt there is a single FREE email provider who doesnt scan your mails. Its pathetic i know. But what choice do we have.

Fixed that for you!

If you are willing to pay for email, then there are a wealth of available options.

Unfortunately, Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo, among others, created an expectation some time ago that email wasn't something you paid for (other than with your personal privacy).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

42 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Adblock is your friend. And no, i doubt there is a single email provider who doesnt scan your mails. Its pathetic i know. But what choice do we have.

There are. Protonmail, Tutanota, Posteo, Mailfence, StartMail... With some, it's technically impossible, with others, they promise it within privacy policy. And those are mostly paid services so you know it's true because they get money elsewhere and have system in place that makes it impossible (client side encryption).

50 minutes ago, drazurd said:

wait so does wikipedia sell my data?

they are financed with donations

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Also there are ads in the Mobile Version of Gmail under Promotions.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 hours ago, drazurd said:

I see no ads on gmail

orly

wallpapers: ORLY Wallpapers

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB