Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Balletje72

Why are there no curved ultrawide monitors with 2160p height?

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Now with the new RTX 3080 release, the gigantic boost in fps allows easy playing on 4k monitors on max settings. So, I'm looking for a Curved Ultrawide monitor now with ~2160p height... but I literally can only find 1 ultrawide monitor with these specification. Which isn't curved. 

I mean... why aren't there any? And then I'm not even filtering on Hz / colors / other features yet.

There must be a reason... who can explain? : )

(edited: ultrawide != widescreen)

Edited by Balletje72

Imagine how ridiculously expensive it would be. That's the reason.

Hi there! If you know about upgrading old machines with SSDs, I could really do with some help over in this thread. Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks! :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Imagine how ridiculously expensive it would be. That's the reason.

Well, for €250-350 there are already many options for 60hz 4k IPS/VA monitors... and of course the higher the price the better the quality of the monitors get. 

So its not like those are already €1k+ which would make an ultrawide version just Crazy.

There is - Samsung CHG90. It is 3840 pixels wide, which is basically 4K.

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | AMD Wraith Prism | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus Prime X570 Pro | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 4x 3 TB + 2 TB WD Red/Seagate/Toshiba  | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.8.3

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Yes that is the monitor I currently have, which is 1080p.

But now I'm looking for a 2160p ultrawide (sorry, I see 4k as 2160p...)

2 minutes ago, Balletje72 said:

Well, for €250-350 there are already many options for 60hz 4k IPS/VA monitors... and of course the higher the price the better the quality of the monitors get. 

So its not like those are already €1k+ which would make an ultrawide version just Crazy.

You're not wrong... but it would still be ultra high end. To the point where you would be spending as much on the monitor as on the PC that drives it.

And until recently there was no graphics card really capable of driving that kind of monitor anyway, so what's the point?

Even now, I reckon hardly anyone would buy it. Personally I'd rather spend the money on two 4K monitors and have a dual setup, and I know many who feel the same.

Hi there! If you know about upgrading old machines with SSDs, I could really do with some help over in this thread. Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks! :)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, Balletje72 said:

4K as a standard means approximately 4000 pixels wide. 1080p as a standard (and very often used to indicate) means 1920 by 1080 at 16:9 aspect ratio. So I wouldn't say your display is 1080p. Don't confuse the standards/terminology.

So I don't understand what the question is now. What is 4K in your mind then? What kind of a display are you looking for?

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | AMD Wraith Prism | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus Prime X570 Pro | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 4x 3 TB + 2 TB WD Red/Seagate/Toshiba  | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.8.3

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

21 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You're not wrong... but it would still be ultra high end. To the point where you would be spending as much on the monitor as on the PC that drives it.

And until recently there was no graphics card really capable of driving that kind of monitor anyway, so what's the point?

Even now, I reckon hardly anyone would buy it. Personally I'd rather spend the money on two 4K monitors and have a dual setup, and I know many who feel the same.

I see... I did not expect Pricing would be the reason for it... I was expecting something like 'supply/demand' yeah. Which made me think that they would become very popular now, yet not seeing it xd

On the other hand, as I now have a 1080p Super Ultrawide... I really dislike a 2 monitor setup. Previous setup was 3 monitor, which is perfect for multitasking, but the Super Ultrawide still beats every other setup for gaming. (just for gaming, super ultrawide is annoying for multitasking, which is why I'm considering the step back to a normal ultrawide, with extra monitors)

7 minutes ago, Balletje72 said:

the gigantic boost in fps allows easy playing on 4k ultrawide on max settings. So, I'm looking for a 4k ultrawide monitor... but I literally can only find 1 ultrawide 4k monitor, from LG, which isnt even curved. I mean... why aren't there any? And then I'm not even filtering on Hz / colors / other features yet.

I think it depends on what you're looking for when you say 4K.

There's panels like the LG 38GL950G, which is 3840*1600. You're correct in that it isn't "true" 4K or DCI 4K.

No ultrawide will be in the expected 3840*2160 resolution, simply because of the aspect ratio.

So you'll either have to look for something like the 38GL950G, which is 4K in the horizontal dimension, or something like the LG 34WK95U-W, which is 5120*2160, which is "4K" in the vertical dimension. (and 5K in the horizontal).

To help the rest of us make better suggestions, can you elaborate a little more on *exactly* what you're looking for?

8 minutes ago, Balletje72 said:

But now I'm looking for a 2160p ultrawide (sorry, I see 4k as 2160p...)

Your definition of 4k is wrong. It's 4K because it's approximately 4000 pixels wide. Better try 5K displays as they'll give you 2160p tall

I see my definition of resolutions is wrong yes. Will make an edit.

But to clarify, if it indeed was not clear, I'm looking for a Curved Ultrawide monitor with something close to ~2160p height. 

22 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

It has exactly 2 times less pixels than a regular 4K by the way. (non-ultrawide)

... but I'm no expert

14 minutes ago, Balletje72 said:

I see my definition of resolutions is wrong yes. Will make an edit.

But to clarify, it it indeed was not clear, I'm looking for a Ultrawide monitor with ~2160p height. 

The MSI Prestige PS341WU and LG 34WK95U are 5120 x 2160 in ultra wide form factor.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Then it won't be ultra wide. 2160p is a 16:9 aspect ratio.  Ultrawides are typically 21:9 or in the samsung example 32:9.

This seems to be a definitions issue.  There is height, width, aspect ratio, and area. They all seem to be using the same name though.  

A wide monitor with a given height is going to have more area than a not-so-wide monitor of that same height.  A video card cares only about the number of pixels, so it cares about area only (sort of) if you want a wide screen monitor with 4k area resolution, its going to have lower than standard 4k height. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.