Is the 3080 adequate for Gaming at 1440p 144hz with graphics on maximum/near maximum?

DavidRomao
Go to solution Solved by Juular,

Depends on the game, in Control it isn't capable of outputting 144Hz even with DLSS but Remedy just didn't do a good job optimizing it.

control-rtx-2560-1440.png

Although even without RTX there's quite a few titles which don't max-out to 144 FPS in 2k.

average-fps-2560-1440.png

But thing is, you're unlikely to notice any difference between 100 FPS and 144 FPS so it doesn't really matter and it appears that RTX3090 wouldn't be fast enough too.

Budget (including currency): 750

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, mainly single player games like AC:O, The Witcher, Sekiro, Batman Arkham Knight, and some FPS like Far Cry, Cyberpunk 2077 possibly

Other details:

I am thinking about building a new computer in the end of they year, after the new ryzen cpus have launched. I haven't upgraded the main components since I built my computer so at the moment I have a i5-4690k and a gtx 770.

I want to upgrade to a system that is capable of playing 1440p at 144hz comfortably at highest possible graphic settings .

I was hoping that the 3080 would be more than capable of achieving this but I have been seeing reviews of the 3080 and it looks to me that it won't be capable of playing most games at max settings at 1440p and 144hz. Was I being unrealistic and should I always expect to sacrifice a little on the graphics side to be able to reach 144hz ?

Previously I was thinking that the 3070 would be enough ( or very close ) but now I am not even sure the 3080 could do it, so I am a little lost as I haven't upgraded in a while and never had a 144hz capable computer, I just expected it since when I built mine years ago, my 770 could run most games nearly at max settings and 60 fps, so I was expecting there had been enough gains in performance for now to be possible to achieve 144hz at 1440p easily.

CPU(if relevant) : For the cpu I am considering a Ryzen 7 3800X or next gen equivalent, I think that is more than enough and I welcome the benefit that comes from the extra cores and threads outside gaming.

It will not be a locked 144Hz in all games (especially with RTX), but overall you'll be fine with 100+ in pretty much everything. Get a monitor with G-sync

Depends on the game, in Control it isn't capable of outputting 144Hz even with DLSS but Remedy just didn't do a good job optimizing it.

control-rtx-2560-1440.png

Although even without RTX there's quite a few titles which don't max-out to 144 FPS in 2k.

average-fps-2560-1440.png

But thing is, you're unlikely to notice any difference between 100 FPS and 144 FPS so it doesn't really matter and it appears that RTX3090 wouldn't be fast enough too.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Definitely has the performance for it, considering the 1080Ti usually handles it just fine and the 3080 supposedly kicks the tail of the 1080Ti's successor.  That's predicated on the assumption the game will run at that resolution/speed in the first place.   Not every game performs the same way with a particular card after all.