BUild Help - future proof for 2-3 years

acelenny

Budget (including currency): Under £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games from the past ten years and AAA games for the next few years

Other details:

I am looking to put together a PC mostly for gaming that will be able to play AAA games decently well for the next two to three years (though I don't expect to be playing at 144HZ Ultra setttings in 2023). I would like to be able to then make a few upgrades without having to completely replace everything so future proofing is important. I also require a new screen and I am looking to spend around £750 but absolutely no more than £1000 though I am happy to pick things up second hand (Especially the screen).

A minimum of 1TB of storage is a must.

I have experimented with a number of builds on PCPartpicker but I am not sure what I need to be spending and which parts (e.g. the motherboard) I should be looking at with future upgrades in mind as I have not have a new computer for six years. For example:

Plus say £25 for a windowsd OEM key.

ANy and all advice would be appreciated.

Future proofing with that budget is hard. But you will need a B550 or X570 chipset based motherboard. Also A Ryzen 7 3700X or wait for ZEN 3. In terms of memory, I'd go with 3200 mhz 32 GB over 3600 16 GB if you can. The increase in performance does not matter if you are lacking the amount necessary to load those textures. Speaking of textures, that GTX 1660 will not last you past 2021, unless you are willing to compromise in game graphics and resolution. Get a card with 8 GB or more of VRAM. I'd wait for the RTX 3060 series and get that. Price will probably be around the same as a RTX 2060 Super (best guess at the moment, given the 3070 will be around 420.- ).

As for the power supply, 650 W is the bare minimum. If you want that system to stay alive for a long time, you should factor in capacitor aging, which results in less output wattage. In your case I'd go with at least 700 W to be safe and if you have some change, a higher rated 80+ Platinum PSU might be better, maybe from Seasonic or Be-Quiet.

In short: Start with a decent PSU and a B550 motherboard. From there you can upgrade later. For now and probably till the end of 2021 that GTX 1660 will be fine for 1080p gaming for the most part. But 32 GB is kind of a must if you want to play some of the newer games to come out. While 16 GB is enough for the game itself, the OS and other things in the background are eating away some of too. When that happens you will have actually only around 12 GB to spare for that game and that can cause performance issues in game.

24 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Future proofing with that budget is hard. But you will need a B550 or X570 chipset based motherboard. Also A Ryzen 7 3700X or wait for ZEN 3. In terms of memory, I'd go with 3200 mhz 32 GB over 3600 16 GB if you can. The increase in performance does not matter if you are lacking the amount necessary to load those textures. Speaking of textures, that GTX 1660 will not last you past 2021, unless you are willing to compromise in game graphics and resolution. Get a card with 8 GB or more of VRAM. I'd wait for the RTX 3060 series and get that. Price will probably be around the same as a RTX 2060 Super (best guess at the moment, given the 3070 will be around 420.- ).

As for the power supply, 650 W is the bare minimum. If you want that system to stay alive for a long time, you should factor in capacitor aging, which results in less output wattage. In your case I'd go with at least 700 W to be safe and if you have some change, a higher rated 80+ Platinum PSU might be better, maybe from Seasonic or Be-Quiet.

In short: Start with a decent PSU and a B550 motherboard. From there you can upgrade later. For now and probably till the end of 2021 that GTX 1660 will be fine for 1080p gaming for the most part. But 32 GB is kind of a must if you want to play some of the newer games to come out. While 16 GB is enough for the game itself, the OS and other things in the background are eating away some of too. When that happens you will have actually only around 12 GB to spare for that game and that can cause performance issues in game.

He doesn't need a B550 or X570 board. A B450 is fine. The MSI MAX boards should support Ryzen 4000.

As for the psu a 650W is already enough even for a 3950X and RTX 3080.