Problem with NewEgg delivery

Juggy

Does anyone know if I have any recourse with a damaged item from NewEgg?

I ordered a Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi that was delivered yesterday, upon opening the box I noticed that the RGB header pins and power button were bent. The power button is in fact almost broken off and probably does not work.

I contacted NewEgg's online chat but the agent said that because there are bent pins their warehouse will not entertain an RMA and replacement. I find this unacceptable as the item was damaged when it arrived

The bent pins are not my concern, simple enough to bend them back however the almost broken off power button is.

2 minutes ago, Juggy said:

Strangely enough the box is not damaged at all. The board has either been used or was boxed in such a way that the board got damaged

That seems like it had to be open box, as pins dont just bend themselves like that, especially if the box wasnt opened.

28 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

That seems like it had to be open box, as pins dont just bend themselves like that, especially if the box wasnt opened.

Yeah, that is my thought as well. The package was shipped from a supplier to NewEgg then from NewEgg to me in Qatar. Maybe it was checked at NewEgg and re-boxed or maybe the original supplier sent me a used board. I have no idea.

A NewEgg agent is calling me on Monday to discuss, I have also reached out to the original supplier and tagged both NewEgg and ASUS_ROG on Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this helps some else down the line so I will mention it here.

The agent did not call me, I eventually called NewEgg out on Twitter and got a resolution.

They paid for the shipping return and will refund me in full for the board. At first they didn't want to refund my initial shipping costs but I called them out on it and they are refunding that as well.

The motherboard was badly packaged by NewEgg, almost no cushioning between the outer packing box and the board itself

6 hours ago, Juggy said:

Maybe this helps some else down the line so I will mention it here.

The agent did not call me, I eventually called NewEgg out on Twitter and got a resolution.

They paid for the shipping return and will refund me in full for the board. At first they didn't want to refund my initial shipping costs but I called them out on it and they are refunding that as well.

The motherboard was badly packaged by NewEgg, almost not cushioning between the outer packing box and the board itself

Glad you found a resolution, still not a great advert for NewEgg, is it?

32 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Glad you found a resolution, still not a great advert for NewEgg, is it?

Yeah, not great at all and the worst part was their online chat agent insinuated that it was my fault and I should take it up with the manufacturer as they reject RMA's with bent pins.

I will not buy from them again if I can help it. Amazon have a much easier RMA process.

15 minutes ago, Juggy said:

Yeah, not great at all and the worst part was their online chat agent insinuated that it was my fault and I should take it up with the manufacturer as they reject RMA's with bent pins.

I will not buy from them again if I can help it. Amazon have a much easier RMA process.

Motherboards are one of this items that every company is funny about RMA's. I am not accusing you but it is strange the pins were bent (it is extremely rare for an unopened motherboard to have bent pins). Try to understand their position. Newegg would not have lasted this long if they continually had horrid customer service and RMA process. I get bad eggs every now and then with different stores/companies, that is just statistics. I am sorry to hear the problem was only fixed after you went online about it. Would you want to RMA a board for a customer who said it "came that way". You'd tell them they were full of dog $#it. They get that all the time only to find out the idiot touched the pins or dropped the cpu.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

9 minutes ago, dual290x said:

Motherboards are one of this items that every company is funny about RMA's. I am not accusing you but it is strange the pins were bent (it is extremely rare for an unopened motherboard to have bent pins). Try to understand their position. Newegg would not have lasted this long if they continually had horrid customer service and RMA process. I get bad eggs every now and then with different stores/companies, that is just statistics. I am sorry to hear the problem was only fixed after you went online about it. Would you want to RMA a board for a customer who said it "came that way". You'd tell them they were full of dog $#it. They get that all the time only to find out the idiot touched the pins or dropped the cpu.

I contacted them 30 minutes after receiving the item and it wasn't just the bent pins it was the destroyed onboard power button as well. It was their attitude that bothered me. And, I completely understand am issue with a CPU socket and bent pins but fan and RGB headers?

As you can see in the pictures I did manage to straighten the pins but the power button was beyond repair.

I have a lot of pictures and my hypothesis is this

The board was packaged badly which allowed it to rattle around in its shipping box with almost no cushioning, this and a careless carrier is what I think ruined the board. If you look at the damage to the board and the scuff marks on the inside of the motherboard box you can see that the edge of the board slid under a side panel of the box ending up in bent pins and broken onboard power switch.

20200919_173410.jpg

20200919_184200.jpg

20200921_182404.jpg

20200921_182430.jpg

20200921_182607.jpg

20200921_193605.jpg

20200921_195517.jpg

Yea Id call my bank, explain the situation and have the charges reversed.  Newegg may blacklist you from future purchases on that card.  I would inform Newegg first, that this is the route I am taking should they not want to rectify the situation.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

@Juggy, That is actually a quite normal way of packaging boxes, even for motherboards. Nothing will keep the motherboard itself from shifting. No amount of cushioning can prevent inertia. Thus, it was not Neweggs fault perse. However, you are right about the bent fan/rgb headers (which could have been bent back) but the busted power button itself should have been enough. You needed to ask to speak to a manager. When someone is being an @ss and there is truly no reason for it then management should be made aware.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

30 minutes ago, dual290x said:

@Juggy, That is actually a quite normal way of packaging boxes, even for motherboards. Nothing will keep the motherboard itself from shifting. No amount of cushioning can prevent inertia. Thus, it was not Neweggs fault perse. However, you are right about the bent fan/rgb headers (which could have been bent back) but the busted power button itself should have been enough. You needed to ask to speak to a manager. When someone is being an @ss and there is truly no reason for it then management should be made aware.

Yeah, I change hardware more often than I change underwear and this is the first time I have had anything packaged that badly. I am on my 5th motherboard in less than 12 months.

And inertia wouldn't have played such a role had everything been all nice and tightly packaged. It's the flopping around of a box inside a box that I think caused the majority of the problem.

This is how I packaged the return.

20200922_104519.jpg

28 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Yea Id call my bank, explain the situation and have the charges reversed.  Newegg may blacklist you from future purchases on that card.  I would inform Newegg first, that this is the route I am taking should they not want to rectify the situation.

Fortunately it is all resolved after a Twitter conversation

13 minutes ago, Juggy said:

Yeah, I change hardware more often than I change underwear

And inertia wouldn't have played such a role had everything been all nice and tightly packaged. It's the flopping around of a box inside a box that I think caused the majority of the problem.

This is how I packaged the return.

20200922_104519.jpg

First, that is pretty nasty man. You might need to see a therapist.

I was talking about the motherboard itself in it's own box. You can take the motherboard box and shake it and that can cause the motherboard to beat against it's box. I package stuff like that as well just because I am anal. At least it was taken care of.

ORLY?

1 hour ago, dual290x said:

First, that is pretty nasty man. You might need to see a therapist.

I was talking about the motherboard itself in it's own box. You can take the motherboard box and shake it and that can cause the motherboard to beat against it's box. I package stuff like that as well just because I am anal. At least it was taken care of.

Hahahaha, a therapist, I like it and you are probably right.

Having a loose item in a box that is loose inside another box exacerbates the problem. Put an egg in a box that it just fits in, put that box in bubble wrap in another box and drop it on the floor is way better that without the bubble wrap. This is actually a real world experiment my kids and I did for school recently.

Well, I went from i9 on a Z390 mATX then a Gigabyte Z390, then a 3950X on an Asus X570 I Gaming, then Gigabyte Aorus Master and now a Crosshair VIII Hero.

Lockdown has me bored as hell.

Oof, seeing the damage on the pictures, there's no way a regular user could possibly do that kind of damage during a regular PC building session. Even if you dropped the motherboard, the connectors wouldn't be the ones getting most of the damage, it would be the board itself.

Maybe they interpreted "pins" as if to say the CPU socket's pin because the chat rep thought it was an Intel motherboard for some reason? I don't know.

This sort of crap is why I usually record myself, without pause, when I open a new motherboard or really, anything of "high value" that's fragile enough. Especially if it isn't 100% sealed off (Motherboards are not sealed, it's easy for store to sell you an open box and claim it was new...).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Why not just tell them it won't work and is defective/DOA? I've done that before with newegg because the easiest way to RMA something is when it is DOA they don't ask many questions and tell you to send it back for a new one.

2 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Why not just tell them it won't work and is defective/DOA? I've done that before with newegg because the easiest way to RMA something is when it is DOA they don't ask many questions and tell you to send it back for a new one.

It is all resolved, the board arrives at NewEgg tomorrow for full refund.

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Oof, seeing the damage on the pictures, there's no way a regular user could possibly do that kind of damage during a regular PC building session. Even if you dropped the motherboard, the connectors wouldn't be the ones getting most of the damage, it would be the board itself.

Maybe they interpreted "pins" as if to say the CPU socket's pin because the chat rep thought it was an Intel motherboard for some reason? I don't know.

This sort of crap is why I usually record myself, without pause, when I open a new motherboard or really, anything of "high value" that's fragile enough. Especially if it isn't 100% sealed off (Motherboards are not sealed, it's easy for store to sell you an open box and claim it was new...).

Yeah, I agree and that is what makes me upset about the whole situation. I provided them with more than enough evidence in pictures and a personal account that they should have had enough information to make an informed decision. And, if the agent or manager or whoever was supposed to call me had actually called me we could probably have cleared it up but I had to go to the extent of tagging them on Twitter to get a proper response.