i recently (today) switched to kde neon 5.19 on my laptop after being a long-time windows user and have no idea what i'm doing a lot of the time, so i have some questions on how to do stuff:

• is there a way to change system sounds?
  • i plugged a secondary monitor into my laptop via hdmi and it decided to rescale everything to be super zoomed in. is there a way to fix that? (i attached a screenshot of it, also i messed around a bit with the themes and managed to change it to something i like, as well as changing the launcher menu to something a bit more familiar, so it's not barebones kde)
  • the theme i chose has a screenshot preview that looks like macos, but when i installed it, all that changed was the icons, the window management, etc, is that supposed to happen, or should it have changed?
  • i've been trying to install java to run jar files, but i haven't been successful yet, as the java -version command shows info for openjdk rather than java 1.8.0_261. is there a guide i can use? (originally i was using the guide on the java website, then found a guide on the ubuntu website)
  • is there a way to get my biometric authentication (built-in fingerprint sensor and lenovo webcam with ir sensors) and touchscreen working?

the reason i switched was because i had performance issues in windows (15-50% cpu usage from the windows activation service most of the time) and getting kicked out of ms teams calls randomly due to crashes from high resource usage, and have been pretty happy since switching, aside from the lack of touchscreen support with windows-only drivers on lenovo's website, and the weird scaling issues after plugging in a secondary display.

edit: my battery menu seems to be confused, when i plug my laptop in, it says it's discharging, and when i unplug it, it makes a noise and says it's charging.

image.png

for clarification, here's a video of me attempting the java install: 

Edited by DevTurtle
added java install video and fixed typo

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

16gb 2666mhz ram (dual channel)

512gb sandisk sata boot ssd i salvaged from my broken laptop (lenovo doesn't seem to have great quality ideapad laptops)

480gb sata ssd that came with my system

2tb hdd

msi geforce rtx 2060 super

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

logitech g513 rgb keyboard

logitech m720 triathlon wireless mouse

logitech g935 wireless rgb headset

fifine k669b usb mic

some old samsung 1080p60hz monitor (upgrading it soon)

some cheap "rgb" mousepad i got for christmas

and the most important part, real rgb inside the case

I have no idea where the system sound settings are.  I see some mention of System Settings, Notifications but its not there on my install (I'm running KDE on Fedora so it may be different).

I've found to disable DPI scaling, sometimes you have to force the font DPI to 96dpi in System Settings, Fonts as well as the Global scale setting you've found.  KDE still doesn't handle scaling that well itself, sadly.

Themes can be hit and miss, as often they are for older versions of KDE and not compatible with the version you might be running.  Its frustrating but how it is.

OpenJDK may be enough, what are you trying to run?

Touchscreens should be automatically picked up if its a standard Windows 10 compatible touchscreen.  If its something more custom, we would need more information about exactly what it is.  Biometrics are likely to be a whole lot more complicated and possibly not supported, its not something I have looked into.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

About scaling issue, are you using Nvidia proprietary driver?

If yes then you probably need to edit xorg.conf /nvidia.conf and add these into screen section.

Option "UseEdidDpi" "False"

Option "DPI" "96x96"

image.png.d76e7fc260ec5d84b4dcad8cb072c4f2.png 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 hours ago, DevTurtle said:

i recently (today) switched to kde neon 5.19 on my laptop after being a long-time windows user and have no idea what i'm doing a lot of the time, so i have some questions on how to do stuff:

Hey,

it's great to see more people switch to Linux!

Before I try to help you with the problems you're having right now, I need to know what your Hardware Specifications are (CPU, GPU, Resolution of Laptop and External Display)

Also, please consider using another Distribution of Linux but KDE Neon. It is meant as a Testing Distribution for the KDE Developers and gives you the newest Applications and Changes in the KDE Desktop Environment, but for a starter it would be better to go with something more stable.

I would recommend you go with an Ubuntu-Derivative, unless you are going to focus on doing development work or really get into Linux as much as you can.

PopOS is a great distribution out of the Box for Gaming, which most here would be focused on.

Kubuntu is the official Ubuntu Version with the KDE Desktop Environment, which is more stable and polished than KDE Neon.

Fedora and Arch later on if you always want to be on the leading or respectively for Arch bleeding edge of innovation, but stay away from it for now.

Once again, please share your Specs so we can help more.

2 hours ago, imcaspar said:

Hey,

it's great to see more people switch to Linux!

Before I try to help you with the problems you're having right now, I need to know what your Hardware Specifications are (CPU, GPU, Resolution of Laptop and External Display)

Also, please consider using another Distribution of Linux but KDE Neon. It is meant as a Testing Distribution for the KDE Developers and gives you the newest Applications and Changes in the KDE Desktop Environment, but for a starter it would be better to go with something more stable.

I would recommend you go with an Ubuntu-Derivative, unless you are going to focus on doing development work or really get into Linux as much as you can.

PopOS is a great distribution out of the Box for Gaming, which most here would be focused on.

Kubuntu is the official Ubuntu Version with the KDE Desktop Environment, which is more stable and polished than KDE Neon.

Fedora and Arch later on if you always want to be on the leading or respectively for Arch bleeding edge of innovation, but stay away from it for now.

Once again, please share your Specs so we can help more.

i'm using a lenovo flex 5 15iil05 (model 81x3) from costco with an intel core i7 1065g7 with iris plus graphics, and both displays are 1080p60hz, but the external display is larger. i set the laptop screen to 720p to simulate the smaller size, because there's no obvious way to change it, then switched it back. i've since been able to fix the issue with the display scaling, although there is a black bar in the top of my screen, cutting off some content.

i had driver issues with kde on pop, and kubuntu seems more geared toward developers from stuff i've read online, is there a good alternative, or is kubuntu the best distro to switch to with kde?

edit: the black bar at the top was an empty panel that i made to put on my other monitor.

Edited by DevTurtle
add panel black bar clarification

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

512gb sandisk sata boot ssd i salvaged from my broken laptop (lenovo doesn't seem to have great quality ideapad laptops)

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

5 minutes ago, DevTurtle said:

i had driver issues with kde on pop, and kubuntu seems more geared toward developers from stuff i've read online, is there a good alternative, or is kubuntu the best distro to switch to with kde?

KDE and Gnome (which popOS uses) are Desktop Environments, meaning the Interface and and Applications that come with your distribution.

The Distribution underlying is Ubuntu for all three of them.

KDE Neon - Ubuntu and newest KDE applications

Kubuntu - Ubuntu and stable KDE applications

popOS - Ubuntu with Tweaks and Gnome

Just now, imcaspar said:

KDE and Gnome (which popOS uses) are Desktop Environments, meaning the Interface and and Applications that come with your distribution.

The Distribution underlying is Ubuntu for all three of them.

KDE Neon - Ubuntu and newest KDE applications

Kubuntu - Ubuntu and stable KDE applications

popOS - Ubuntu with Tweaks and Gnome

ok thanks for the info

kubuntu might be better for me

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

1 minute ago, DevTurtle said:

ok thanks for the info

What exactly was your problem with the scaling, by the way? Is everything to small when you leave it on 100%?

I would recommend you to use Gnome and Wayland (for example with Stock Ubuntu) instead of KDE if you want to set different Scaling factors for different displays.

2 minutes ago, imcaspar said:

What exactly was your problem with the scaling, by the way? Is everything to small when you leave it on 100%?

I would recommend you to use Gnome and Wayland (for example with Stock Ubuntu) instead of KDE if you want to set different Scaling factors for different displays.

i set a scaling setting and it zoomed everything in except for the content inside of chrome (as seen in the picture above) and i had to reset the scaling and manually set the dpi to 96dpi to fix it. also, when i restarted it, it gave me an error. is there a way to distro hop to other distros without having to reset everything if i selected the install alongside windows option while installing kde?

i kept my windows install in case i needed stuff from there, or needed to run something that doesn't run on linux

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

2 minutes ago, DevTurtle said:

i set a scaling setting and it zoomed everything in except for the content inside of chrome (as seen in the picture above) and i had to reset the scaling and manually set the dpi to 96dpi to fix it. also, when i restarted it, it gave me an error. is there a way to distro hop to other distros without having to reset everything if i selected the install alongside windows option while installing kde?

i kept my windows install in case i needed stuff from there, or needed to run something that doesn't run on linux

You can install it in a Virtual Machine or onto a USB Drive if you have one that's fast enough.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, DevTurtle said:

i plugged a secondary monitor into my laptop via hdmi and it decided to rescale everything to be super zoomed in. is there a way to fix that?

Try going into System Settings -> Fonts -> Force font DPI -> 96

The Interface should scale with the Fonts. You will need to reboot or relogin for the changes to take affect system wide.

is there a way to change system sounds?

System Settings -> Notifications -> Application Settings -> Application -> Configure Events

the theme i chose has a screenshot preview that looks like macos, but when i installed it, all that changed was the icons, the window management, etc, is that supposed to happen, or should it have changed?

Depends on the theme, Post a link to the theme you used.

i've been trying to install java to run jar files, but i haven't been successful yet, as the java -version command shows info for openjdk rather than java 1.8.0_261. is there a guide i can use? (originally i was using the guide on the java website, then found a guide on the ubuntu website

OpenJDK is the Open-Source implementation of Java for Linux. It's what you should be using.

You shouldn't need Oracle Java, if your having issues with Java Applications, post it here.

edit: my battery menu seems to be confused, when i plug my laptop in, it says it's discharging, and when i unplug it, it makes a noise and says it's charging.

In a terminal, does "dmesg | grep error" say anything?

21 hours ago, DevTurtle said:

ok thanks for the info

While KDE Neon has newer packages, which I would recommend for KDE, out of the box configuration is actually quite horrid.

Kubuntu would be a overall better distro for someone new to KDE.

Or If you want a more up to date KDE experience like you would get in KDE Neon, I woudl look at Manjaro KDE.

21 hours ago, DevTurtle said:

Is there a way to distro hop to other distros without having to reset everything if i selected the install alongside windows option while installing kde?

If you stick with a Ubuntu based Distro, you should be fine and the installer should give you a option to install another distro alongside it or replace the previous Ubuntu install. At least the installer used to. If you switch to something like Manjaro, it may require manual intervention to re-use those partitions.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

OpenJDK is the Open-Source implementation of Java for Linux. It's what you should be using.

You shouldn't need Oracle Java, if your having issues with Java Applications, post it here.

jar files that are supposed to launch a dialog won't run 

also, the scroll wheel on my logitech wireless mouse only goes a little bit, even with the free spin wheel, and the notification widget won't work and shows this error: 

Error loading QML file: file:///home/••••••/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/main.qml:29:1: module "org.kde.plasma.private.notifications" version 1.0 is not installed

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

After downloading ATLauncher.jar you need to set the executable bit on the file

Open terminal and run this command

chmod +x ~/Desktop/ATLauncher.jar

Note: You should put atlauncher into folder on its own because it will generate a bunch of files on your desktop when running it for the first time.

7 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

After downloading ATLauncher.jar you need to set the executable bit on the file

Open terminal and run this command

chmod +x ~/Desktop/ATLauncher.jar

Note: You should put atlauncher into folder on its own because it will generate a bunch of files on your desktop when running it for the first time.

You can also do this be right clicking on it, Properties-> Permissions -> Is Executable.

If that does't work

25 minutes ago, DevTurtle said:

jar files that are supposed to launch a dialog won't run

What does "java -jar ~/Desktop/ATLauncher.jar" in a terminal output.

29 minutes ago, DevTurtle said:

Error loading QML file: file:///home/••••••/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/main.qml:29:1: module "org.kde.plasma.private.notifications" version 1.0 is not installed

Try running "rm -r ~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/" The either reboot or relogin.

30 minutes ago, DevTurtle said:

also, the scroll wheel on my logitech wireless mouse only goes a little bit, even with the free spin wheel, and the notification widget won't work and shows this error:

What Logitech Mouse?

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

What Logitech Mouse?

logitech marathon m705

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic