Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrAzY156

Fairly good internet speed but awful fluctuations.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello. Im a growing competitive gamer but im being held back by my internet fluctuations in ping. its happening more often than usual these days. I mainly just play league of legends and my average ping there has been 92 - 100ms. but these days ive had it just rising up and down between 100 - 150 and its very unplayble, i even upgraded my package to where i now pay  65$ US per month for 250mb download and 15mb up. My isp is Collumbus Communications aka Flow. I reside in a small island named Trinidad and Tobago. I am wired and im not sure how to go about fixing this, when i call my isp they just do a speed test and say "aye! youre fine" i dont know how to explain to them or if this is something i can fix myself. please help, i have no way of getting another provide unless i want 2mbs download over hotspot. My connection is currently cable and my router is stock company given and the admin page is so confusing and uncommon to google. I am wired through lan because is way more horrible on wifi. I have a friend who lives a mile away from me and has the same problem. please help! Thank You!

 

image.thumb.png.51cfcca470effbcf74554550d8fea555.png

image.thumb.png.1b87bfb6622f98d10aa387ee1bae2680.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

well um, it's probably normal depending on what you ping...

 

did you try pinging google?

 

ps: it even says in ur speed test 9ms, that's very good!

 

around 100+ ms is normal for multiplayer games I'm afraid, unless you're really close to the server, which you're most likely not.


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Just pinged it. I was comparing pings to when im ingame the League of legends NA server.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well um, it's probably normal depending on what you ping...

 

did you try pinging google?

 

Screenshot_1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CrAzY156 said:

Just pinged it. I was comparing pings to when im ingame the League of legends NA server.

 

Screenshot_1.png

like I said it all depends on distance...

 

here's a test I did 

 

 

1456606042_SmartSelect_20200920-045903_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.00d947c9eb17fd6e72690d12dc59a327.jpg

 

(I'm in Germany...)

 

here's a test to a local server

 

20200920_045413.thumb.jpg.1ae40cb0d4477b86dbce289f8a014adc.jpg

 

this is on my phone/mobile connection but the principle is always the same.

 

more distance = higher ping

 

and yes your connection looks good so there isn't much you can do tbh


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/19/2020 at 11:04 PM, Mark Kaine said:

like I said it all depends on distance...

 

here's a test I did 

 

 

1456606042_SmartSelect_20200920-045903_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.00d947c9eb17fd6e72690d12dc59a327.jpg

 

(I'm in Germany...)

 

here's a test to a local server

 

20200920_045413.thumb.jpg.1ae40cb0d4477b86dbce289f8a014adc.jpg

 

this is on my phone/mobile connection but the principle is always the same.

 

more distance = higher ping

 

and yes your connection looks good so there isn't much you can do tbh

Yes ping is considered according to distance. but why is every other isp able to have a stable 80-90ms when playing from my country to the server. but my isp "Collumbus Communications" is unable to supply a stable 100ms for the speeds i pay. the ping is always fluctuating up and down! i have no choice unless im willing to play with 200ms stable on the other isps available in my area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 9/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, brian105 said:

Try:

ping google.com -t

and see if the ping goes up drastically at any time.

image.thumb.png.7f3479391313ea972e916c395922756a.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CrAzY156 said:

Yes ping is considered according to distance. but why is every other isp able to have a stable 80-90ms when playing from my country to the server. but my isp "Collumbus Communications" is unable to supply a stable 100ms for the speeds i pay. the ping is always fluctuating up and down! i have no choice unless im willing to play with 200ms stable on the other isps available in my area. 

... good point, I probably missed that info. but I agree if others in your area get better ping so should you.

 

often actually changing the ISP is the only solution for such a problem unfortunately.

 

 


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

... good point, I probably missed that info. but I agree if others in your area get better ping so should you.

 

often actually changing the ISP is the only solution for such a problem unfortunately.

 

 

I just called my isp. i explained that im lagging in every game where i shouldve have a stable 90ms. they made me ping their local server and said my internet is fine. its the games server fault. EVERY GAME SERVER? they said nothing they can do to fix it!!!! I have no choice but to use this isp because they have the monopoly and mobile data is just as bad here. for having to pay so much money for internet cant it atleast be stable? -_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×