Network speed

Smmded

We recently switched to Frontier internet at 500mbps. We have a pc using ethernet that is running at full speed, but my pc uses a wireless adapter that supports that speed, yet only runs up to around 110mbps download, 50mbps upload. I know wireless won't always run at the full speed, but this slow? Is this normal? If not, how can I fix this?

5 minutes ago, Smmded said:

I know wireless won't always run at the full speed, but this slow? Is this normal?

There's a lot of stuff that affects WiFi-speeds, like e.g. are you using 2.4Ghz - or 5Ghz - band? How many other devices are connected over the same band? How far are you from the router/AP and are there any obstacles, like e.g. walls, in the way? What speeds does the WiFi-adapter in your PC support and what speeds does the router/AP support? How much interference is there coming from neighbours?

All that said, given how people typically have pretty bad WiFi-adapters, routers/APs are typically behind at least one wall and so on, yes, 110Mbps seems quite reasonable.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.