Does the CPU matter when GPU mining?

If pairing a GPU with a CPU that would normally severely bottleneck it in gaming, will it be fine for GPU-mining, or will it be similarly bottlenecked in performance for that task?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If the cpu isnt in use then it doesnt matter what it is. Just needs to be good enough to run windows and load programs into ram and such so anything from the past 10 years should do

Not in the slightest. I remember 12-card mining rigs that used Celerons or Pentiums were around back in the Ethereum craze.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Not sure if it still holds true, but I remember reading a while ago that you should have one core for OS, one core per GPU for optimal folding. So for your setup this would suggest at least a dual core would be ok. Not sure if you intend on running on a potato or not... 🤷‍♂️

Ryzen 3900x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | MSI Prestige Creation x570 | G.Skill 32GB CL16 3600 

Folding @ Home https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=862606

On 9/20/2020 at 8:38 AM, Kaarmaa25 said:

Not sure if it still holds true, but I remember reading a while ago that you should have one core for OS, one core per GPU for optimal folding. So for your setup this would suggest at least a dual core would be ok. Not sure if you intend on running on a potato or not... 🤷‍♂️

Folding is different than mining. While both use GPU's to complete complex problems, that's about all they share. The software, workload and end goals are all very different. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, TVwazhere said:

Folding is different than mining. While both use GPU's to complete complex problems, that's about all they share. The software, workload and end goals are all very different. 

Ahhhhh you're totally correct. Apparently I read the title too quickly. 🙈

Ryzen 3900x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | MSI Prestige Creation x570 | G.Skill 32GB CL16 3600 

Folding @ Home https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=862606