Do 1ms monitors have a benefit

Doubletrouble5457

This is probably going sound daft but I was just wondering if me having a 2ms or 5ms monitor makes any real difference to gaming compared to say a 12ms monitor when even on the best gaming rigs have a render time around 6 to 7.1ms playing online and that doesn't include the time it takes for the eye to see movement process that image, make a decision then press mouse button.. If you take a stop watch hit start then stop it still record's about 5ms + the 6.7ms render time that's almost 12ms so does my 2ms monitor make any real difference?

you want the monitor to have a gtg refresh rate (advertised rfr is usually mprt, not gtg) below what looks good for a given framerate. anything under 6-8ms for 144hz is usually good enough, and "1ms rfr" usually ends up around 4-5ms gtg. when the rfr is slower than the render time you get tearing/ghosting/other unsightly effects. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Yeah, you definitely want lower. The marketing number doesn't show real world how it works though. Reviews are there. Those are average grey-to-grey numbers advertised. Or those very low 1ms and lower is with use of overdrive or black frame insertion. But even the fastest monitors still struggle to output their max refresh rate and in reality are nowhere near advertisedsed number. 

But faster panel with lower response time helps with noting blur. Check reviews for individual monitors. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Doubletrouble5457 said:

This is probably going sound daft but I was just wondering if me having a 2ms or 5ms monitor makes any real difference to gaming compared to say a 12ms monitor when even on the best gaming rigs have a render time around 6 to 7.1ms playing online and that doesn't include the time it takes for the eye to see movement process that image, make a decision then press mouse button.. If you take a stop watch hit start then stop it still record's about 5ms + the 6.7ms render time that's almost 12ms so does my 2ms monitor make any real difference?

Aside from a rough general comparison, for the most part advertised specs like 'response time' should be ignored or at least taken with a massive grain of salt.

Explained further here

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |