i need help

lion8079k

So i took out my amd ati radeon 4800 hd series because i thought it needed cleaning....then after pluging the 8 pin connector and pci e slot, i have no video in my monitor and my pc doesnt recognize that i have plugged a graphics card, also the gpu is very loud and i hear it blowing a lot of air...help please

Thanks!

Howdy and welcome :)

There’s a lot of undefined here. “Cleaning” can take many forms. Also just because something looks like it’s plugged in doesn't mean it’s done correctly. 

one possibility might be turning off the machine and reseating everything to make sure it’s correctly in there.  

What in particular was done in this cleaning may also have an effect.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Howdy and welcome :)

There’s a lot of undefined here. “Cleaning” can take many forms. Also just because something looks like it’s plugged in doesn't mean it’s done correctly. 

one possibility might be turning off the machine and reseating everything to make sure it’s correctly in there.  

What in particular was done in this cleaning may also have an effect.

Hi thanks for answering so being honest i just took it out and sprayed some contact cleaner on the pci e slot and the gpu pins. Im pretty sure i plugged everything how it was before..btw what are the plugs on top of the gpu for?

7 minutes ago, lion8079k said:

Hi thanks for answering so being honest i just took it out and sprayed some contact cleaner on the pci e slot and the gpu pins. Im pretty sure i plugged everything how it was before..btw what are the plugs on top of the gpu for?

Plugs on top of the gpu could be for additional  power (if the gpu is unpowered that could answer a lot) a card can get some power from the pcie slot but for most it’s not enough so there are additional power cables run from the PSU to provide additional power. there is sometimes also a pin set that is for multiple card use (something that is rarely done these days) Nvidia used something called SLI and AMD used something called crossfire, but their function was similar. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah that isnt it i dont have that crossfire... i just dont know what to do im confused it was ok...but there was a power outage and i had it on...and then the pc wouldnt power on so i took out my cpu and gpu and plugged them back. Pc works fine with the integrated card.

Power outage can produce power surges.  Did you have a surge protector power strip?

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Power outage can produce power surges.  Did you have a surge protector power strip?

No i dont, its an old graphics card so its probably not working anymore i guess

22 minutes ago, lion8079k said:

No i dont, its an old graphics card so its probably not working anymore i guess

A power surge can take out lots of things.  Maybe out the PSU then maybe random things attached to the PSU (which is everything)