Motherboard not posting...or something after switching out graphics card

Farfalle
Go to solution Solved by Farfalle,
6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s kinda bad.  Also highly unusual.  I hope it’s not a motherboard failure.  That’s a nice old motherboard.  They haven’t sold z97 that I know of in a long time.  Replacing it would cost more than the computer is worth.  I don’t have much in the way of suggestions.  It could be the monitor or cable I suppose.  I don’t see it as likely but I’ve been wrong before.

Not sure what was wrong, but the PC is now working again. When I revisited tonight the final code I saw on the led was 55, which has to do with memory not being seated, which made no sense because memory looked absolutely fine. Regardless, I attempted to wiggle the firmly seated sticks, and lo and behold the system returned to normal afterwards. Some minor fiddling with the sound settings and the system is now completely back in business.

I'd never used the system without a graphics card before (this is a high-ish end desktop system from 2014 transplanted into a Silverstone Grandia HTPC case), but it easily does what I need for the time being (play back 1080p blu-ray rips from a Plex server), so no need for the other video card at all.

I want to take out a GTX 760 from an HTPC build to use in a new build (as a placeholder for an RTX 3080), and replace it with an HD6450 from an even old HTPC. Anyway, after the switcharoo, the HTPC would not post. The fans would start to spin and the LED on the motherboard would cycle through some codes, and then putter out. I then took the HD6450 out and put the GTX 760 back in, and the same thing is happening now. Here is a video of it. Does anyone know what might have happened? The computer has an Asus Z797 Pro motherboard and an 4770K processor. It was working fine before this.

Edit: sorry about the large attachment. Just posted the file to youtube here 

IMG_2634.MOV

My first suspicion is driver issues.  What was in the HTPC before?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My first suspicion is driver issues.  What was in the HTPC before?

It had the GTX 760 in it originally and it was working. When I put the HD6450 in it started doing what you see in the video. When I then put the GTX 760 back in again it did the same thing (as shown in the video). Just to be clear, the video is of the original video card after I put it back in, but was doing the same thing with HD6450.

16 minutes ago, Farfalle said:

It had the GTX 760 in it originally and it was working. When I put the HD6450 in it started doing what you see in the video. When I then put the GTX 760 back in again it did the same thing (as shown in the video). Just to be clear, the video is of the original video card after I put it back in, but was doing the same thing with HD6450.

You do any driver changes to get the other card working?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You do any driver changes to get the other card working?

Nope. I'm guessing now that was a mistake, but am not sure whether that is the cause of the current problem. It's now no longer working with the original card either, which has me worried that I accidentally did something to the motherboard while physically switching out the cards.

Just now, Farfalle said:

Nope. I'm guessing now that was a mistake, but am not sure whether that is the cause of the current problem. It's now no longer working with the original card either, which has me worried that I accidentally did something to the motherboard while physically switching out the cards.

It’s possible that’s an old card which implies an old system.  Things get dry and brittle

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s possible that’s an old card which implies an old system.  Things get dry and brittle

You're referring to the HD6450, right? Do you think I could have damaged my motherboard by trying to use it? I'm the original owner of the HD6450, but it had not been in use for quite some time and I cannot vouch for it's state. If so, I hope my GTX 760 isn't damaged now too 😞

The pulling out or the stuffing in can damage things if done wrong.  Aside from actual slot problems force flexes motherboards.   There’s also bumping something with an elbow.  Usually that kind of things doesn’t cause video artifacting though.  It’s more likely to make a system not work at all.

Edited by Bombastinator

Update: I just removed the GTX 760 again and tried booting the computer using just the onboard graphics of my chipset and hdmi output on the motherboard backplate. The computer booted and I got to the windows login screen, but within about 10 seconds, my screen showed some tearing/horizontal lines, and then became unresponsive. I turned off the computer and tried powering up again, and it shows the same behavior as in the video above.

Won't be able to work on this again until later tonight or tomorrow

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The pulling out or the stuffing in can damage things if done wrong.  Aside from actual slot problems force flexes motherboards.   There’s also bumping something with an elbow.  Usually that kind of things doesn’t cause video artifacting though.  It’s more likely to make a system not work at all.

Thanks for the info. I can't work on this again until later tonight or tomorrow but will post an update then. Really appreciate your help.

Just now, Farfalle said:

Update: I just removed the GTX 760 again and tried booting the computer using just the onboard graphics of my chipset and hdmi output on the motherboard backplate. The computer booted and I got to the windows login screen, but within about 10 seconds, my screen showed some tearing/horizontal lines, and then became unresponsive. I turned off the computer and tried powering up again, and it shows the same behavior as in the video above.

That’s kinda bad.  Also highly unusual.  I hope it’s not a motherboard failure.  That’s a nice old motherboard.  They haven’t sold z97 that I know of in a long time.  Replacing it would cost more than the computer is worth.  I don’t have much in the way of suggestions.  It could be the monitor or cable I suppose.  I don’t see it as likely but I’ve been wrong before.

3 minutes ago, Farfalle said:

Won't be able to work on this again until later tonight or tomorrow

Thanks for the info. I can't work on this again until later tonight or tomorrow but will post an update then. Really appreciate your help.

Lol.  For all the good I’ve done..  it’s a sucky and weird issue.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure what was wrong, but the PC is now working again. When I revisited tonight the final code I saw on the led was 55, which has to do with memory not being seated, which made no sense because memory looked absolutely fine. Regardless, I attempted to wiggle the firmly seated sticks, and lo and behold the system returned to normal afterwards. Some minor fiddling with the sound settings and the system is now completely back in business.

I'd never used the system without a graphics card before (this is a high-ish end desktop system from 2014 transplanted into a Silverstone Grandia HTPC case), but it easily does what I need for the time being (play back 1080p blu-ray rips from a Plex server), so no need for the other video card at all.